Question Pioneer 508XD = What in today’s technology?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Feeling Rippedoff, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Feeling Rippedoff

Feeling Rippedoff
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good day,
    I own a Pioneer Plasma 508xd television, which due to a minor mishap now has a cracked inner screen. On claiming from my insurance company, I have been offered £368 of Argos vouchers to purchase a Phillips 50PUS6162/12 television as a replacement.
    Is this a suitable replacement for a £2300 plasma all be it some 10 years old...?
    Other than money, what would be the main specifications to be equivalent?

2. mclumpha

mclumpha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Personally I would say that's a terrible offer. It's like saying... We will replace your Rolex watch with a digital Casio :/ I would've thought a more like for like replacement regardless how old it is but that's insurance companies for you.

3. generalgizmo

generalgizmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    No chance .... it's a lower end led it may have few bells whistles but wont match your 8g in picture quality ..
    See if they could change their mind on the offer and at least send a cheque etc for the amount vouchers for a tv from argos is a cop out...and if it's a pioneer you want try pick up a used 5090 kuro or last gen panasonic ..
    I recently sold one of my kuros to a friend for £100 and bought a Panasonic ez952 oled...so can pick em up cheap considering I paid 2400 for one 9.5 yrs ago..
    And only thing in my eyes and I can probably vouch for many people on here that could surpass a kuro or last gen panny would be oled or a MAJOR high end led .. which as you know would cost thousands... the insurance company is Trying to pull a fast one... CROOKS..

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  4. Inferno

Inferno
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,109
    Lord NO chance, do you not have New for Old?

I have new for old so if mine snuffs it I would hope to get £2200 for it or damn close.

If not then your pretty much screwed.

That's a right Barclays offer that is, try and see i'd you can wangle more than that.

5. Feeling Rippedoff

Feeling Rippedoff
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have new for old. The first offer compared the number of HDMI and USB sockets being similar. When I pointed out these were ancillary connections, it was not mentioned again.
    As a comparative measure I spoke about contrast ratio, the picture black to white ratio, which on mine was 16000:1. Only high end 4K televisions have this ratio. Oled Tv’s are at infinity due to no standing backlight. The gentleman on the line was not impressed. Am I wrong in suggesting this as a comparative measure, should I be using something different? Hence my question on this knowledgeable forum?

6. generalgizmo

generalgizmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    He prob wasn't impressed as don't like people knowing more than they do when trying to weasel out of paying....Only thing I can think of is that oled is alot closer pic wise and basically the successor to plasma as plasma is no longer made.. and the "55" ez952 is a few mm less than the kuro . if your tv is wall mounted or in an alcove say need exact size to hide the wires too.. or it's going to cost for a redecoration..
    if your ins says like for like they are not fulfilling their end of the contract. that's what you PAID FOR.. They need to up the original amount at very least no crud vouchers..and hopefully you could be close price wise to get a 55inch oled.. as they've dropped alot..
    Wish you best of luck as sounds like they are trying to fob you off by going round in circles thinking you'll give up.. if they don't budge on price Id ask for the amount 1st offered in cheque so you can pick up a used 5090 or krp, leave the insurers and trash them on line review where everyone can see how bad a service you received..

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018