Pioneer 508

Ricky22buk

Standard Member
Reaction score
Was talking to a local dealer today and asked him about the new generation 508 plasma. He told me they would be getting their first delivery in July. I thought by reading a few posts on here that they were going to be available from May ? Anyone else hear anything new on this topic ?

Also told me that the 5000EX would be replaced but wouldnt be available until September time.

Cheers !

Ricky !

Different dealers will be prioritised if there are limited stocks when landed in Europe/UK.
The event in Italy on May 8th, IIRC, was used by myself and others to surmise this may be when they are released/launched. It could just be a demo showing the new panels to drum up attention and noise, with deliveries at the end of the month or some point in June.
The simple answer is no-one short of Pioneer themselves knows the exact timetable they are working to.
Patience is a virtue, as is oft said.

Thanks for the reply mate ! Are you in the trade or just an enthusiast ? I'm only about 20 miles away from you by the way !

Ricky !

Any initial thoughts on the pz700 vs the pioneer? The pz700 is full fat at £2500 ish, what do u reckon on the 508 price? any informed guesses out there? Or insider info?

Dentist, i`m going to be choosing between those two panels too i reckon. A plasma revolution or full HD ? We`ll find out soon enough.

Was told the 508 would be £3000 !!!!

Yes but wasn`t that figure bandies about regarding the pz700 pana too ? Does this external box thing come too, speakers etc ? I will spend no more than £2500, and if that excludes speakers, i may have to choose the pana by default.

Highly likely Pioneer will stick with the speakers as a separate option, like the stand/bracket but it will be inclusive of the media box.

Is it just me or is there a tendency towards an opinion that pioneer are better ? If so, why is that ?

They both have different qualities, depends what things annoy you and what things don't, the Pioneers do things very well but are let down with their p|ss poor black levels, everyone is hoping that this generation will sort that out.
But when the 7 series was being hyped it was meant to have the best black levels of any set and was a bit of a let down, so best wait and see.

Pioneer is accepted as the better DVB-T tuner and as a result, PQ using that source.
As has been said elsewhere, the black detail isn't quite as good as Panny's. Black is still as black as the Panny, but there's less shadow details.

As has been said elsewhere, the black detail isn't quite as good as Panny's. Black is still as black as the Panny, but there's less shadow details.

Other way round, the detail in the Pioneer is arguably higher, well there is definitley less noise in it, however the black level is no where near as dark as the Panny. Put the screens next to each other and the Pioneer is alot lighter when showing absolute black.

isn`t the processing better too ?

Other way round, the detail in the Pioneer is arguably higher, well there is definitley less noise in it, however the black level is no where near as dark as the Panny. Put the screens next to each other and the Pioneer is alot lighter when showing absolute black.

Giz has got this right, there is a lot more detail in shadows due to the superior processesing but the Pana cetainly goes darker, not by much but enough to be obvious.

For me its the only weakness but as others have said depends what you can put up with. Like others here I will be changing once I have seen the Pio, Pana and Fujitsu's new offerings.

I have seen a prototype Pio at CES, trust me it is not hype.

I have a feeling the new Pio will be my next screen too, I love the Panasonics, the depth you get becase of the black levels is awesome, but they are far from perfect, they have dithering in the dark areas and the consumer screens have what I can best descibe as a digital fizz to them, not bad at all, but areas where Pioneer do things better. I can't see Panasonic sorting their problems out but I can see Pioneer getting absolute black right this time and that should make for a good screen.

********- is itas sharp as lcd ? The one area that i think lcd nudges it,is sharpness, more noticable with video games, and not that important with dvd or sd tv-imo. If it`s as good as you`re leading us to believe, and i have no reason to doubt you, then i think it`ll be my next tv, even if the pana is 1080p. If 42inch model`s res is 1024x768 and the 50 is 1365x768, doesn`t the 50 lend itself to widescreen psictures slightly better due to less scaling, and are the pixels still rerctangular ? Cheers.

LCD is great until things start moving, then it can't resolve the full resolution anyway, if you put up a moving resolution test pattern LCDs struggle to show the detail at anything higher than pal, so being 1920x1080 becomes pointless.

That`s the biggest drawback- MOVEMENT !! I know, can you shed any light on my other queries please ? Cheers. oz.

For video material it won't make any difference, the only time it would make a difference is when feeding a PC into the screens, being a proper widescreen resolution means that you keep the correct aspect ratio.

However I am not sure how it will handle a PC signal anyway, probably gives you overscan and that then means square vs rectangle pixels become irrelivent, you would not be able to pixel map anyway.

LCD is great until things start moving, then it can't resolve the full resolution anyway, if you put up a moving resolution test pattern LCDs struggle to show the detail at anything higher than pal, so being 1920x1080 becomes pointless.

Again your right on the button with this Giz, think the 50" 1080p we may see some benefit but you need to be close, can't see the point at 42" and yes as we've seen with 50" vs 42" there seems less manipulation of the image for some reason. IE there has been very few issues reported with 50" Panas or Pios but issue with the 42's.

I know the Pio 508 is called a plasma, but is it really a plasma? Sorry if daft question

Yeah.

Pioneer 508 is a plasma. 50", 8-Series

As far as I know, Pioneer do not make LCD...

Yoichi Sato's (Pioneer's Senior executive officer and chief technology executive for the plasma display division) comments on the 8th gen models:

"We've reinvented the plasma technology.
Arguably what we have here really isn't plasma in the accepted sence.Maybe we won't even call it plasma anymore!!!":) :) :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom