pioneer 508 how much?

owenfarmer

Distinguished Member
As i'm only a couple of clicks away from buying the Pioneer 507xd, i know no-one is certain how much the new generation will cost but if anyone has an idea of how much the 42" and 50" will cost? i would like to hear it as i may be wasting my time for something that is out of my budget£2000 max.
many thanks
owen

pjskel

If your max is £2K, then I fear the 508 will be over that price by quite a bit, and for quite a while after launch as Pioneer will want to make the hype believable (if we assume it's not 100%), and one way to do that is to keep a tight rein on prices to maintain the illusion.
Of course, I could be way off, and they will do nothing of the sort and it'll be the retailers who dictate the prices.

Jakeh1969

With the 507 going under the £2k mark (cheapest I've seen it is £1700) then the 508 is definitely going to be over the £2k barrier.

owenfarmer

Distinguished Member
or would it be better to lose screen size and go for the 42" if these new screens are an evolution as claimed ,would i benefit more from a 42" 8th generation or the screen size of the 507(very unsure now!)

gizlaroc

Distinguished Member
The 5 series was an evolution, and then a bit of a let down, the 6 series was an evolution and then a bit of a let down, the 7 series was an evolution and then a let down, so I would wait and see the reports first.

And wait and see from people who know, not just those that have upgraded from an older Pioneer and say it is awesome, wait to hear from those that have seen loads of screens.
I bet the 50" 508 will be £2999 to start with, dropping to £2499 quickly and down to £2000 within a couple of months.

MartinCollinson

And wait and see from people who know, not just those that have upgraded from an older Pioneer and say it is awesome, wait to hear from those that have seen loads of screens.
I bet the 50" 508 will be £2999 to start with, dropping to £2499 quickly and down to £2000 within a couple of months.

I'm not sure it will drop that quickly - if it is all that it is cracked up to be. My bet would be that they want to position and price as a Fujitsu alternative and will price it at around the £3,200 mark. It may settle back a little from there but still not much change from £3K.

If they are going to shift units at that price - or similar - it will need to have the step change they are claiming or they will be left looking very silly and with a lot of panels unsold. If they are forced to drop prices they will be in salvage mode and will have lost a lot of money.

Wait and se is good advice though.

gizlaroc

Distinguished Member
I think the 50" 1080p screen will be aorund £4k, there was some info on US prices, the 1080p is replacing the Elite screen and the 768p screen is getting cheaper.

Bumtious

Banned
The 5 series was an evolution, and then a bit of a let down, the 6 series was an evolution and then a bit of a let down, the 7 series was an evolution and then a let down, so I would wait and see the reports first.

Can't agree with you Giz

The 5 was evolution, the 6 was critcally acclaimed, the 7 was evolution, the 8? well, untill now I have sat on the fence, but I saw the 508 at CES and I can't wait for its release.

The prices of the G6 stayed at its original price right untill they were being cleared when they were discontinued, I expect the G8 to do the same, Pioneer allowed the prices to drop to a point with the G7 but they are not going to compete at the basement end of the market with the G8, they are going after the higher end of the market as Fujitsu do. It is not about pile em high & sell em cheap with low margin, it is about producing a product with better componants and charging a price that the market will pay and limiting availability so it is available only through dealers who will sell and install properly, just as Fujitsu do.

Pioneer made a mistake with the G7 of offering it as a single box solution and is very much a stepping stone, they have lost out big time as the G6 had the XDE and SXE range options. Agreed the G7 had very few picture enhancements over G6 but there was a difference, not enough to force people change from G6 to G7 but anyone changing from G5 to G7 or G5 To G6 would see a huge improvement.

The G8 will be available with more aditional options including the return of the media box as an add on option, but most importantly are the picture enhancements and this IS going to be significant. Something is only worth an asking price if people are prepared to pay for it. Pioneer will have targets to hit, the only reason a price drops is if that target is being missed and if the manufacturer allows it AND has maufactered the range to allow that drop. I have had my 37 PX70 PED for 4 weeks, in that time the price has dropped £100. This set will be under £700 by the summer and under £600 by xmas. it did not happen with G3 G4 G5 Or G6 but has to a point with G7 I dont think this is going to happen again with the G8.

The pricing indications are very similar to what Denon do with their DVD players and I expect the prices to higher than now and to hold. If the product is good enough this will happen and from what I've seen it will be.

The only hype being created so far is on this forum and why not, the real hype will happen on release and I suspect they will go for it big time.

The one thing for sure is that they do not intend to compete at the budget end of the market with the G8 range.

Bumtious

Banned
As i'm only a couple of clicks away from buying the Pioneer 507xd, i know no-one is certain how much the new generation will cost but if anyone has an idea of how much the 42" and 50" will cost? i would like to hear it as i may be wasting my time for something that is out of my budget£2000 max.
many thanks
owen

Wait till you see it, if it is a little more than your budget you may feel the picture is worth the extra, on the other hand you may not. Keep a look out for release prices, at that point you can make a decision. If the 8 is too much I'm sure you will pick up a 7 at a bargin price.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom