Pioneer 507XD "Buzz" Issues?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by strider1391, Jan 2, 2007.

1. strider1391

strider1391
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have spent weeks searching for my next TV and have been caught between the Sony KDL46X2000 and Pio 507XD. From searching the forums I am leaning towards the Pio 507XD and had a shop floor demo of one recently with my DVD player. I was happy with the PQ and was going to buy on line before my local dealer gave me a quick demo of the 427XD in a dedicated room of similar proportion to my own - I will be sitting 8 feet away.

He couldn't get the sound to work for some reason but I was only interested in PQ so that was not an issue. What was an issue was the buzz eminating from the screen that would be clearly audible when viewing at low volume levels in otherwise silent conditions. Would I be right in thinking the 507XD would be even louder given the larger panel size and how are people finding living with this noise issue which seems to affect all plasmas.

Furthermore do LCD screens buzz too? I currently have a rear proj screen which is silent and although I want a bigger and better picture I do not want it at the expense of an annoying buzz!

Any views on this issue specific to the 507 model would be much appreciated as I am unable to find any dealer willing to give me a home demo and it's giving me a real headache going over and over it!!:lease:

Simon

2. J80FAB

J80FAB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    There have been many reports in various threads & reviews about the buzzing.

I think they were mostly from owners of the Pio 427.

Apparently some have reported it goes away with time aswell as becoming quieter or disappearing altogether when you change the TV's clock to 100Hz refresh or something like that.

Not sure if the 50" would be louder :eek: as people seem to reoprt that it gets louder with picture adjustments, ie. turning the brightness up.

I had an LCD 42" recently which was returned. There was no buzzing as such, perfectly quiet, though an irritating quiet clicking/purring noise used to come from the speakers if you went into menu settings, looked at EPG or changed channels !

3. VKara101

VKara101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    a planet somewhere in the depths of the universe
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hi Simon

The buzzing that you experienced when viewing the pio is something some people have complained about. I myself have a 427xd and have not experienced this buzzing at all, however some owners have complained about buzzing. Some have also mentioned that it can be eliminated by making some adjustments in the settings (changing drive mode and power modes).

In terms of the bigger screen making a bigger buzz, i think that it will not be the case. Do lcd's buzz? well dependant on the panel, lcd or plasma, some use cooling fans, which will make the usual fan whirring noise, others will buzz due to their power supplies and other components.

As i have said with the pio, only some people have experienced the buzzing, my pio does not make any buzzing noises at all. So i'm guessing that it is only in some instances. Maybe other pio 427 and 507 owners can contribute to this thread with regards to any buzzing they experience.

4. scottish69

scottish69
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you've got the buzz then you cant remove it totally by altering the settings, merely reduce it a little. my pion 427 buzzes like a wild thing - im going to phone pio as i think its unacceptable. All tv's buzz a bit from the power supply but mine has a mighty wasp noise from the glass front in HD viewing. Can hear it even with the sound up.

5. AngryofMayfair

AngryofMayfair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMHO that is totally unacceptable - send it back.
    MY Pio 507 is totally silent

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Also have the 507 here....absolutely silent.

7. happynow

happynow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Same here totaly silent 507

8. strider1391

strider1391
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies folks. This has helped to put my mind at rest with the 507XD - would be interested to know if anyone has successfully had their set replaced, be it 507 or 427 due to the buzzing though and how easy that was?

Am still considering where to purchase one from and am very tempted by the internet prices but just worried about after sales service - Any good / bad experiences to report?

Cheers

Simon