Pioneer 506XDE + Sky HD with HDMI

hknight

Standard Member
I had my HD installed today. The installer told me he had installed quite a few HD set ups, particularly with the Pioneer screen. He mentioned NOTHING about a problem with the HDMI set up on the Pioneer screen. Have been watching HD/ SD Sky all day, everything seems fine. Do you think the issue is resolved?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Mike Groves

Novice Member
hknight said:
I had my HD installed today. The installer told me he had installed quite a few HD set ups, particularly with the Pioneer screen. He mentioned NOTHING about a problem with the HDMI set up on the Pioneer screen. Have been watching HD/ SD Sky all day, everything seems fine. Do you think the issue is resolved?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
You have double posted, but the answer is still no - the problem has not been resolved. I've the same screen as you & have used components ever since the Sky box was installed. No sense in asking for trouble.

jon smith

I've had my 506XDE connected through HDMI since the first week SKY HD was available and still no problems here (apart from image retention).

Shocks

Novice Member
I had my 506XDE work with HDMI for 51 days with HD before I got the HDCP failure message. I'd suggest following advice from Pioneer and switching to component for the time being.

jon smith

Shocks said:
I had my 506XDE work with HDMI for 51 days with HD before I got the HDCP failure message. I'd suggest following advice from Pioneer and switching to component for the time being.
To be honest i'd rather use it with HDMI and then take it up with Pioneer if anything goes wrong (I bought the set to use HDMI, not component).

If it does go wrong this is Pioneer's problem, not mine.

smiffy333

jon smith said:
To be honest i'd rather use it with HDMI and then take it up with Pioneer if anything goes wrong (I bought the set to use HDMI, not component).

Your a brave man Jon!
I cancelled my HD until the problems are resolved didn't want to risk having a fight with Sky/Pioneer over who is responsible. I can't imagine Pioneer will keep honouring repairs when there advice is being ignored.

AV Junky

jon smith said:

Pioneer have said that they will fix it, but it will be your problem when they take your media box away for several days to repair it, leaving you with no TV to watch!

Connect the thing to Sky HD with a component lead and save yourself the hassle. They will still fix your media box when a solution is available, but at least that will be at a time of your choosing.

Hotdoc

Standard Member
Use component, you will be suprised by the picture quality. Use scart for the sound via the screen and opitical if you have an amplifier. I received the following e mail from pioneer (in response to a question about HDMI) - "Thanks for your email.
We are currently investigating issues between the SkyHD box and a number of different systems, we are aware that a number of manufacturers have also found problems with the HDMI output of the SkyHD box.
We are recommending that all users of the SkyHD box use the component video connection for the short term, until we find the reasons for the problems.
Please do not use the HDMI connection.
To keep our users up-to-date we have made a new website;
www.pioneerHDblog.com
Once the reason for the problems is found more information will be published there.
Regards.
Customer Relations
PIONEER GB LIMITED

jon smith

I don't have any spare component slots so it would mean I have to switch the cables to play Xbox 360 or something. Along with many others here, I paid a big premium for the Pioneer set and I expect to be able to use all of it.

I've used HDMI for a couple of months now, so it's entirely possible that damage has been gradually happening over that time.

And if everyone switches over to component there will be less pressure on Pioneer to fix it.

Mike Groves

Novice Member
jon smith said:
I don't have any spare component slots so it would mean I have to switch the cables to play Xbox 360 or something. Along with many others here, I paid a big premium for the Pioneer set and I expect to be able to use all of it.

I've used HDMI for a couple of months now, so it's entirely possible that damage has been gradually happening over that time.

And if everyone switches over to component there will be less pressure on Pioneer to fix it.
Good luck Jon :)

simmoinspain

Standard Member
I have had shy hd for a year with no problems but went and bought a ps3 only to find the HDMI output will not allow any other device to work. Told by pioneer that it would be repaired free of charge and got it back in 4 days. Thought this was great until getting home to find nothing works with hdmi now?
Anyone else had this problem before I call screaming on monday. thanks

Mike Groves

Novice Member
I have had shy hd for a year with no problems but went and bought a ps3 only to find the HDMI output will not allow any other device to work. Told by pioneer that it would be repaired free of charge and got it back in 4 days. Thought this was great until getting home to find nothing works with hdmi now?
Not so far - I've had an assortment of DVD players, a BD player and currently a receiver in addition to Sky HD all connected via hdmi over the time Sky HD has been running.

paulnic

Standard Member
I had the problem but Pioneer sent an engineer round who changed a board. He took only half an hour and all is now perfect.

I had HD working ever since BBC HD started trials. Why did Sky have to send out a software upgrade now - just in time for the Football and Tennis on HD. I always thought that the maxim was 'If it ain't broke don't fix it' so why was this upgrade necessary Sky?

I was impressed by the Pioneer service but NOT by Sky. They cost me 50 mins of premium rate calls going round the houses before they told me to contact Pioneer. No apologies for inconvenience and for charging me for a service I cant use.

I got my hands on a Freesat box and that was no problem at all even before the Pioneer modification, as was the case with my dvd player and my media computer.

Better watch out Sky! There is now competition out there. Perhaps you had better start caring about your customers a little more!