Pioneer 506XDE - help?

C

Chris Blackwell

Hi there - first time caller!

Our Pioneer 506XDE arrived yesterday and we are a little disappointed with the picture quality. I'm looking for advice on the best way to set it up before my partner decides she prefers the old Loewe 40" CRT and we have to send it back!

I am using:
Pioneer PDP506XDE
Denon 2900 DVD player
Lexicon DC-2 SSP
Sky+ box
Viewing distance 12 feet

At the moment everything is plugged into the Lexicon, the only thing going into the Pioneer being the monitor out lead on a Scart from the Lexicon into Scart input 1 on the Pioneer. The DVD image is really good (could be better?) but the Sky picture leaves a lot to be desired.

My questions are:
Should the Sky box go straight into the Pioneer on its own Scart? (Audio needs to go into the Lexicon though).
Which Scart would you recommend for which device?
Should I use RGB or Scart from the DVD?
Should I be viewing at 75 or 100 hz?
Do leads really make that much difference?
Best settings when dumping the factory settings?
Is the Fujitsu P50XHA40US significantly better?

Many thanks for your replies - please help save my Plasma from the returns dept!

I've had the 506XDE for a week now and I was in your position when i first received it.

I would suggest using RGB scart from Sky box to Scart 1 on pioneer setting it at 100Hz. Make sure sky box is set to output RGB and 16:9 format and low contrast. I am still learning how to set it up properly. There are post about settings (what advance functions that should be on or off).

Use component for DVD. 75Hz, progessive output from DVD and turn off Pure Cinema.

I would also suggest letting the plasma break in for a little bit. I've noticed that the picture improves every day as the plasma gets used more. How about the DVE essentials disks from play.com? Might help you fine tune the TV.

As i learn more i will let you know what I have done, but I felt exactly the same about sky on the plasma but now that I am getting used to it, you really can see that 506XDE is a superior TV. There is no way I am going back to CRT after re-watching LOTR.

hope that helps a little.

I changed the Scart lead for a shorter high quality one and plugged the Sky+ box directly into the Pioneer Media box, following your advice re the RGB and 16:9 format settings too. Remarkable difference! Have now connected the Sky+ box to the Lexicon via an optical cable so I'll fiddle around with that later too, and I've ordered 3 component leads to go from the DVD to the Pioneer box. Great improvement already so thanks for the info!

Chris Blackwell said:
I changed the Scart lead for a shorter high quality one and plugged the Sky+ box directly into the Pioneer Media box, following your advice re the RGB and 16:9 format settings too. Remarkable difference! Have now connected the Sky+ box to the Lexicon via an optical cable so I'll fiddle around with that later too, and I've ordered 3 component leads to go from the DVD to the Pioneer box. Great improvement already so thanks for the info!
Remember to set the input 1 on the media box to RGB too. I think it's on video(Composite/CVBS) on default.

Chris Blackwell said:
Is the Fujitsu P50XHA40US significantly better?

If your using a HTPC or a off board scaler or anything else that you would like to run at the panels native res via the DVI or HDMI port, then the answer is yes.....
To be fair, neither screen is a poor choice though but a correctly setup Fujitsu will worry the Pioneer crowd. I've heard that an off air picture (via sky or freeview) is better as well but then you don't buy a 50" screen and expect miracles from off air TV......

Great improvement on picture quality now. Last night I quite forgot I was watching Sky Movies. It wasn't until the presenter came on over the end credits that I remembered!

I did pop into our local Home Cinema place yesterday (Martin Kleiser) and they had a Fujitsu in the viewing room. I still think the picture may have been marginally better from Sky but it might have been Home and Away (can't believe H&A is a benchmark for picture quality!) Without A/B comparison though it is virtually impossible to tell.

The chap in the shop mentioned that the Fujitsu doesn't come with a Media Box though, which left me wondering how that worked then. Do you need to buy your own or are things plugged directly into the screen?

... Keep the Pioneer and send the partner back.

Munin makes an excellent point.

Got to options in homemenu and change the input to RGB. Makes a difference too.

With reference to your media box question, most purists would choose a panel only plasma for the same reasons you chose a lexicon, and in fact your lexicon is a media box of sorts, it's just a bit dated for a plasma. You need to upgrade to one with component and HDMI switching/upconversion, a new lexicon, Onkyo 5000, Denon A1, that will enable all your sources to be connected to the amp/processor, and then 1 cable to the screen. I have to say I've never noticed Home and away as a program, and I'm truly staggered that ANYONE would offer it as a demo! I shouldn't have thought it was particularly brilliant, I'd expect sky movies to be better. So maybe the fuji is further ahead than you might think.

sad/strange but true...Home and away on channel5 is very clear...pity it gets on your tits after 3 minutes tho...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom