1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 506 - My Demo

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by superpixel, Sep 18, 2005.

1. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally gave a 506XDE a thorough going over yesterday. Here are my first thoughts:

1. Black Level - a big disappointment. In complete dark, a black screen still emits a quite bright glowing greeny-grey just like the old screens do. So where it counts, there is no subjective improvement. Bright images superimposed on a black background do give the illusion of quite a deep black, however. The big advance is with the lights up - the blacks certainly do look a darker shade of grey than they used to.

2. The judder is still there. Ruined an otherwise perfect HD picture of various sports.

3. Pixellation on movement - much improved! Perfectly clean, but with the sharpness intact. The picture looks a tiny bit less grainy also, and the colours and richness seem to be better, perhaps due to the objectively lower black. These are very subtle improvements though.

All in all, congratulations must be given to Pioneer's marketing department. If I didn't know it, I'd have thought this was the 505, so small are any differences.

Sources were Arcam HDMI DVD, High-def demo, and integrated Freeview.

2. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh well, that rules out the Pioneers as an option for me.. I can be sure superpixel's views are spot on, they usually are..

I've only seen the Pio 435 with Freeview and there was a judder about it with a bit of motion that put me off.. I was hoping that the new Pioneer range might have improved in this aspect, but it appears they haven't.. so I guess its not a plasma suitable for watching footy.

3. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    if thats the case and im sure it is, then ill just be sticking with my pv500, makes the decision alot easier, just goes to show how good Panasonic have done getting the deep blacks that theyve managed with the Vieras

4. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    'Black Level - a big disappointment'

Damn! The black levels are really important to me and I was all set to go for the 506XDE (after trying a couple of DLPs, which as it turns out have really poor black levels). Seems like the only 50" plasma with decent black levels is one of the Panasonics. Unfortunately, they seem to be out of my price range, which is about £3500.

I'm not sure what to do now.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Ruby, i expect the 50PHD8 to be within your budget, that should fit your bill, unless you have no digital TV of course. Superpixel, I'm relieved someone else sees the judder on XDEs, thought I was almost alone.

6. kev777

kev777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mmm, not sure I agree.... I've got a 506 XDE and comapared to the PV500, the blacks are the same, if not better....

I've got it linked up to a Denon 2910 and the picture is superb, I've provide some photos if necessary...

Peronsally, I'm very pleased with the 506 and I'd recommend buying one, that is if you can get one....

7. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Problems have been resolved over the 505 (to a point) not the finished article
    mind, and not on par with the screen only route.

Compares well with pv500.

8. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    would you say it achieves better blacks than the pv500?

9. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Nope, my wife and I were all set for a 505XDE until we saw a scene with mountains panning. That was it for us, the 505 was dropped faster than a bad guy in a Bruce Lee film and my wife, who was adamant we go for the 505 until that moment, wouldn't have bought one at any price.

I was hoping the 506 would improve on this, hey ho. I will still wait until I see it with my own eyes though.

10. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    MAW,

I've got Sky+. However, with the 50PHD8, I'm assuming that it would cost well over £3500 once you've factored in the cost of buying all of the various input boards (hope I'm using the correct terminology there)?

Are there any online retailers that have the 50PHD8 for sale at the moment?

Edit: Would the PV500 be a good alternative for great picture quality including good black levels?

11. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Remember this is a 506 not a 436.
    The 506 is a different animal to the 436 (much nicer)

If your looking for a 42" pv500 or a 436 Pio its really splitting hairs on pq, styling wise the Pio wins but its more money.

12. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Ruby,

The PHD8s haven't arrived in the UK yet, though not long to wait now (hopefully). If you want ultimate picture quality I suggest you wait and don't rush out for a PV500 right now - though time will tell!

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    And no, I was taking input boards into account. The only one you'd need is the HDMI board, and as its not yet available, you could buy it later. They are easy to install. The screen comes with VGA/YUV shared, and composite/s-video shared. With an AV amp, you need no more. That's where your budget may get damaged, unless you already have an amp. Ideally you use a 2 zone upconverting amp, Onkyo 603 or Denon 2805, it enables you to make full use of the screens' facilities, inc PinP.