1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 505XDE Advice

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by TheDoctor, Aug 21, 2005.

1. TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hello All Knowledgable Ones

I am looking to invest in a 50 inch plasma TV which is HD ready. And considering the 505XDE will be only £3000 in the coming weeks I have put that on the top of my list. I will be watching the screen at a distance of 9 foot away.

I have seen it in action, when connected by scart, playing a dvd and I was quite happy with the quality (maybe I am easily impressed!!!!).

The main purposes of the screen will be:

- Watching dvds via HDMI connection
    - Watcing SKY digital (via RGB scart/component, until SKY HD is available).

Just a few questions:

1. What currently is the best connection for watching SKY digital and what is the quality like?

2. Is the 505XDE "truly" HD ready (ie in terms of pixels and at 50HZ)?

3. What is the best HDMI dvd player for this screen?

I look forward to some experienced answers. Thank you in advance.

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    RGB scart is the best you'll get out of a Sky digital box so it would be worth connecting it via scart and see if are happy with the picture. Bear in mind that a scart > component converter just converts the signal and won't improve it.

The screen resolution, according the the Pioneer website, is 1280*768 and it's connectors are HD ready so it is 'truly' HD ready.

As for a DVD player with HDMI, it depends on how much you want to spend. If you've got the cash, you'll not do much better IMO than and Arcam DV79.

John

3. TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Thanks for reply John. Do you have any experience with the 505XDE and the picture quality through HDMI, scart or component?