1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 505 V NEW Panny 50"

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MarkTy, May 25, 2005.

1. MarkTy

MarkTy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Need to make my mind up about which 50" to buy. Just about decided on the Pioneer pdp 505xde, but someone has just told me about the new Panasonic TH50PV500 due out in June.

A appreciate that it's difficult to know precisely....but is it worth hanging on until this one comes out. Does anyone know the spec of the new screen...and does it look better than the Pio,

Thanks for all the help

2. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark those of us clued up on latest kings of plasma urge you to put the Fujitsu XHA40US on da list too. Its 5k though.

Dil

3. Hubert

Hubert
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the PDP-505XDE at Costco and John Lewis at the Trafford centre in Manchester today and am very tempted - was going to buy the Samsung SP50L7HX but I'm not so sure now. I have yet to see the 50" Panasonic Viera on display.

Has anyone seen both and can give a verdict whether the 50" Viera is better than the Pioneer??

A number of places online advertise the Pio 505 for 3500-3600, can anyone recommend a seller?
    (Costco sell the PDP-505XDE incl. table stand and clip on speakers for 3999, JL will match)

Likewise for the Panasonic TH50PV500, what's a good price and where to buy?

4. ashmorel

ashmorel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took delivery of my Pioneer PDP-505XDE last week and had it installed at the weekend and I have to say that I am blown away by how good it is.

I'm no expert on Plasma displays but the picture quality is simply incredible, especially through a decent DVD player. I've only got it hooked up using component cables and progressive scan and the results are astounding. It's better than being at the cinema. I can only imagine how good the picture is when fed a HD source.

The whole package is classy, the remote is nice and sturdy and feels 'expensive' and the black surround looks superb on the wall.

My sister's boyfriend installed the plasma for me and he has just recently purchased a Panasonic plasma, although I'm not sure which model, and he was extremely impressed with my Pio and said that he wished he could have afforded one.

I'd say buy one now. You won't regret it!

5. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Expect to pay between £4500 and full list £4995 for the Panny with table-top stand which puts it squarely into the same bracket as the fujitsu. The fujitsu has a different set of connection options to the panny - HDMI as well as non-hdcp DVI. I think the Panny has HDMI as well as RGB scart. They both have plenty of progressive component inputs and S-video. The Panny has a much nicer remote than the cheap and hideous thing included with the fuji but ultimately the only thing that matters is picture quality. Ive yet to see reports of the panny but you should expect it to be very good. Like Dilsher (above) I have the fujitsu and can vouch for the PQ. Remember to save a couple of hundred quid to have it ISFed.

6. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £4500? try £3500.

7. darrens

darrens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where can you get the panny 50" for £3.5k? I think you're mistaken but if you know somewhere then let me know and I'll order one immediately.

8. BaronSpamedi

BaronSpamedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw the Pioneer recently and I understand why you're tempted. The picture was breathtaking.

9. chris hill

chris hill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased a pioneer PDP505XDE last week from - Beyondtelevision.com and they were very good. It cost me £3588 without any speakers or mounts, just the screen, media box and cables. I went for the Pioneer after seeing a demo of a DVD played via a HDMI connection, the picture was superb ( Lord of the Rings) and my main use for the screen is for DVD playing, rather than daily television. Until HD tv comes out.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The Pio is ALWAYS demo'd with DVD on HDMI, usually with finding Nemo or similar. You were lucky to find LOTR. Or insist on it, whichever. One of my customers recently came to me after being refused their own choice of DVD. They look so much better on HDMI Pioneer like to have them demo'd on this input.

11. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi gang

The Pio is a good screen sure, but nowhere near the PQ of the Fujitsu or anywhere near its tweakability- sorry Pio owners, but come back and talk to us when you have SEEN a Fujiitsu 50XHA40US in action compared to a Pio please??? The Panny HD8 will be close.

"Breathtaking" is relative...especially under water.

12. puntograle

puntograle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys - I am currently also tossing up between the Pioneer and 'soon to arrive' Viera 50PV500. I originally had decided to get the Pioneer and then a few months ago decided to wait until the new Panasonic came out. Needless to say, am now frusterated and caught in the 'Decision Paralysis' of the new technology vicious circle - i.e. wait until the next best model and never actually make a purchase.

This month's Home Cinema magazine reviewed the two 42/43 inch Viera/Pioneer models together. They gave both models a very strong review. Although the Panasonic marginally won on slightly better blacks and contrast, they seemed equally happy with the Pioneer.

I am wall mounting the plasma for which the Pioneer has a slightly better design.

At this moment, I think it all really comes down to an economic price decision.

If I was buying a 42/43 inch model I would go Panasonic. Much better price point comparison. It is cheaper, slightly better performer, newer, and includes the speakers (hence additionally cheaper).

However, at the 50" debate the price point seems loaded the other way. The Pioneer is about £3.5K. The Panasonic is not out yet, however the retail price is up on the Panasonic online web shop. The 42" viera was advertised at a decent price on this site (~£2.5k with wall) just prior to launch and hence available at ~£2K in the real world. Whereas the 50" is shown as ~5K with wall bracket and I estimate will hence be ~4.5K online when released.

Hence, if you are on a tight budget, the debate is not whether the the Panny is better than the Pio (which I think it marginally will be), but if it is about £1K better......

So I suggest that the 50" Pio is a better buy, and the 42" Panny is a better buy.....Let's see what you all think....

(Sorry for the long post! :) )

13. darrens

darrens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    punto, I'm in exactly the same position as you so enjoyed reading your post.

The only thing I'd add is that the Pioneer has a seperate media box so there's less cabling going to the actual panel itself. Of course, that also means an extra bit of kit to put in your rack/furniture.

Otherwise the decision is (pretty much) as you said. My preference would be for the Panasonic since I don't want the media box and have a natural tendency to buy "newer" things assuming (often incorrectly) that they are better. But a £1k premium for the Panny is a high price to pay. Put another way that's a 33% premium over the Pioneer or enough to buy you a scaler.

Damn - these decisions aren't easy.

14. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Maybe you should all just wait for the Panasonic PHD8 to come out. That'll probably only cost £3500. :devil:

15. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol..and maybe you should also all ignore our advice...its your life!

16. SPURS1882

SPURS1882

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Or wait for the Pio 506..................etc,etc,etc,etc,etc.

17. puntograle

puntograle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So .....no sympathy from you guys then(!) :)

Actually, I was going through an emotional low point this morning. Was 'working from home' instead of the office which means a few short breaks where you sit infront of the TV, watch a clip of some DTS loaded action, great sound through a 5.1 system with 4 floorstanders, but remorse about not having the right telly, and think 'that it! I am buying it now, doesn't matter what the price, forget the car, house decorations, holidays, bills, bills, and bills'

...now I am over it (phew!)

...so let's wait for the 506.... :)

Ok, ok, just kidding.....

18. puntograle

puntograle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm....I think I might have to correct myself. If you browse on kelkoo or equivalent, there are a number of online retailers beginning to advance advertise the 50" Panasonic 500 with wall bracket for aroung £4150.

Compare this to the Pioneer 50" which is about £3900 by the time you allow for speakers and wall bracket.

Therefore my argument that the Pio 50" is a better buy based on price is looking tenuous....

...unless Pioneer start to discount further to make room for new models in Autumn/Winter....

19. darrens

darrens
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheapest I can find is Pioneer about 3650 (with pedestal), Panny 4140 (with pedestal). So, £500 difference still, obviously less if you go for speaker with the Pioneer. However, not sure if those Panny prices will hold once it is actually available so let's wait and see.

20. Hubert

Hubert
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comments - How about the new Samsung PS50P4H in comparison to the Pioneer 505 and the Panasonic TH50PV500 (which I guess noone has actually seen yet)?

Is the Samsung actually shipping yet, I can't find any reviews?

Still torn between a 50" Plasma and the 50" Samsung SP50 RP DLP,
    43" would be big enough but I want something that supports full 720p resolution.

Have any 43" Plasmas with at least 1280 horizontal resolution been announced?

21. aarontp

aarontp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    See - New Pioneer Plasma 505/435 v Old going 504/434 for Picture quality - thread. I have seen it so ready to come back and talk to you. I am not a dedicated Pioneer fan and I spent 10 months research on plasmas before purchasing the 505xde. I do agree with you that the Fuji has very good picture quality but side by side comparing "monsters inc" for colour representation "Event Horizon" for black contrast testing and "Lord Of The Rings" as an all rounder (suprise, I didn't use 5th Element like most people do to show off plasmas!) and tested on the Panasonic range and NEC - Used Pioneer DV868 player and an Arcam DV79 - Fuji and Pio picked the cream off the other two. Narrowed it down to Pio as I said in another thread it (IMO) has better depth in colour and handled all the tests better than the Fuji. But then again its also down to AV equipment that one is connecting to them and also the quality of the leads (same brand leads used on all sets but obviously not at the same time when testing them against each other!).