1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 505 "black" levels

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by danny daniell, Feb 7, 2005.

1. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I am familiar with the fact that Pio panels dont do true blacks...however,i do expect this panel to come somewhere near. Whilst watching "Nemo" tonight ,the scene with the Angler fish goes completely dark & i assume the director intended this scene to be "black" however, all my 505 can muster is a decidedly gloomy grey. It almost looks as if the panel is making no attempt at producing any colour at all & the screen looks like it is in default setting. Is this the best that the Pioneer can muster or can it be rectified by changing settings?
    Thanks for any input,

Dan

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Dan,

The Pioneer "may" not be quite able to do black as well as a Panasonic (Pio owners chip in here with yes it does), but it gets mighty close when calibrated properly.

3. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +191
    I've seen it mentioned a couple of times about the Pio blacks, but I can attest to the fact that it can produce dark blacks, as the black on the TiVo menus is the same shade as the black piano surround of the Pio panel. Admittedly, black widescreen bars are nowhere near this dark a black, but I'm not sure they should be.

4. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    Happy enough with the black level on the 504 - it is definately far nearer to black than it is to grey.

5. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Thanks for cheering me up fellas. I must admit that my panel is as it came from the box, i havent tried to change anything. I am going to get it ISF calibrated so hopefully this will improve it somewhat.

Dan :)