1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 504HDE or 505XDE. That is the question.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MikeWS, Oct 12, 2004.

1. MikeWS

MikeWS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Those of you in the market for a nice new 50" plasma cannot help but have noticed that the price of the "last few remaining" 504HDE screens have come down to about £4k.

This is a fantastic price and, given I'm looking to buy a plasma before Christmas, I am sorely tempted. The only thing holding me back is the impending arrival of the 505XDE.

I am not fussed about the digital tuner (the set will be used with Sky+ and a Denon 2910 DVD player) but I am interested in what people have reported about the 435XDE (i.e. that the picture quality is better than the 434).

I have heard reports, though, that the screen surround on the 435 is more "plasticy" than the 435. This is a big concern because SWMBO has approved the 504 on looks...

You'll have spotted the dilemna. I don't think that anyone has yet laid hands on a 505XDE (or am I wrong) but any opinions or suggestions most gratefully received!

:lease:

Mike.

2. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Don't think the 50" 5 Series Pios hit the streets until November.

I have seen a 43inch screen (FDE not XDE but panel is the same). Looked identical to my 434, only difference being the handles at the back are built into the rear rather than screwed on.

Only caveat about Pioneer, they seem to buzz like crazy, I'm waiting on JL swapping my third 434 for a 435-XDE. If the buzzin don't stop its back to CRT for me!

3. V5-APS

V5-APS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've ordered the 505-XDE.....but the 504's are very tempting at that price point !!

4. petecowie

petecowie
    R.I.P.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Just to jump in on this one, cos someone reading this might know the answer! (Sorry) I have one of these and the media box attaches to the Plasma via DVI, but the Media Box has no DVI input, can I either replace the media box for a newer model OR can I unplug the media box and plug straight into the plasma??

Thanks
    Pete

5. V5-APS

V5-APS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Not too sure about this....what is your source.....is a DVI to HDMI cable not available ??

6. dj_johnnyg

dj_johnnyg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Hi

It has been mentioned in other threads that the media boxes are not interchangable either between the 4 & 5 series or between the 3 flavours of the new range (FDE, HDE, XDE).

I don't know about directly plugging into the DVI on the screen, but I assume you could use a DVI-HDMI cable, and plug this into the HDMI port on the tunerbox.

Hope that's some help

Just waiting for my 435XDE to arrive! :clap:

7. aarontp

aarontp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have ordered my 505XDE which will arrive two weeks this friday :clap:

Will post details of what I think of the picture quality. I was holding back for a while due to hearing that the 435 picture wasn't as clear with the colours esp. the black but that might have been a biased view from one major high street review mag.

I can't see how it can be a poor pic so will let you know what I think of it.

If anyone else already has there's can you post comments to let us know of the overall quality please.

Thanks.

8. AndyCS

AndyCS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had mine for just over 2 weeks. I find PQ to be very good most of the time, but like all displays the quality of the source material is often the limiting factor. Maintream channels are generally very good although certain programs exhibit problems e.g. saturdays X Factor looked awful, don't know why. Also, horizontal scrolling text is often unreadable. I have noticed some solarisation on faces although only really on channels like FX so maybe down to bitrate or inapppropriate settings for NR etc. I'm still playing around with the multitude of settings though so may be possible to improve this in future. Original DVD's are excellent, while more compressed backups are generally unacceptable due to MPeg artifacts.
    Biggest single irritation is constantly pressing backup on Sky to get rid of the red dot to avoid screen burn, and so far absolutely no evidence of any problems in this area, now at 160 hrs.

Andy

9. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    MikeWS,

If you can leave without the inegrated digital tuner you will find that you have absloutely nothing to lose by buying the 504HDE. You save money and there is nothing that really looks better on the 505 picture.

10. aarontp

aarontp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks to both for your comments.

Andy CS - Sounds like your loving ur 505xde which is gr8 news - Not too sure if your giving it justice by slapping X Factor on the screen tho - surprised Mr Cowells (if that's spelt right) face hasn't cracked ya screen which would nasty! Are you using an HDMI DVD player into your tuner or a PC with DVI-HDMI output/input??

Anyone else with a 505xde would like to share their joyful comments?

:cool:

11. bigbearhouse

bigbearhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Biggest single irritation is constantly pressing backup on Sky to get rid of the red dot to avoid screen burn, and so far absolutely no evidence of any problems in this area, now at 160 hrs.

You can get a red dot remover for sky from here http://www.skyeye.force9.co.uk/skyeye.htm not tried it myself ut it may be usefull.

12. AndyCS

AndyCS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bigbearhouse - I've considerred the SkyEye before but the thought of backup being sent every minute worried me and would totally confuse the wife if she was using guide or planner or just browsing around.

aarontp - not my idea to watch X Factor:devil:, anyway current connections are:-

Sky+ - RGB only scart into media box
    DV27A and 2900 both component into AV8 then AV8 component into media box, although I'm looking at adding a Lumagen HDP soon.