1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 504HDE and 1125i from HDMI input?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by adspence, Jan 9, 2005.

1. adspence

adspence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi

Until recently Ive been running the PC output to my 504HDE media box via the DVI-A to VGA and using the PC input. This is fine, but I thought I'd try DVI-D to HDMI and see if I could see if that was better, when the D-to-A-to-D was removed from the path.

However something strange, to me anyway, is happening. The display is showing 1125i even though my Nvidia 5600 card is set up to display 1280x720@60Hz on the seconds displays DVI output. When I send a screen to this second desktop I get a very distorted display. I was hoping to playback som HD material I have at 720p, but it is a mess.

Am I missing some setup somewhere? Do I need to mess about with something like Powerstrip?

I've seen posts of people managing to get PC outputing 720p via HDMI so I'm assuming it should be possible for me as well.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Your nvidia setting are right, and this is a new one on me. The distortion is obviously because the screen is not correctly detecting the signal. I assume you've tried the basics, like restarting both ends, security of plugs etc? It should indeed be detecting this as 720(750)p. This is usually pretty good, though IMHO not as sharp as 1280/768 via VGA. If your card can output 1280/720 you do not need powerstrip.

3. attach

attach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The same thing happend to me when i was trying to connect my pc to my 435fde via dvi to hdmi cable. Havent had time to play around more with it. Will post what i get when i try again.

4. adspence

adspence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Thanks, at least I'm on the right lines. I have restarted both PC, media box and display - unfortunately to no avail. I'll try again...

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    In the end you have to play along with Pioneer, they never intended the digital input for PC's, but at least it will work with sky HD in 2006. You can't have it all they say!

6. adspence

adspence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I just thought the HDMI would be better. I've messed about with basically every setting I can find on the Nvidia and switched everything on and off a few times...stilll thinks its 1125i...ho hum. If, as you say, the VGA input is better then I'll stick with that. At least I won't need to get a HDMI switcher as my 868avi needs the single available HDMI input anyway...

7. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    You might need to use specific timing entries within PowerStrip...try these two options:

Code:
    720p

Horizontal                              Vertical
    45                 Frequency              60
    1650                 Total               750
    110               Front Porch              5
    220               Back Porch              20
    40                   Sync                  5
    1280                Active               720
    POSI               Polarity              POSI
    or

Code:
    1280x720

Horizontal                              Vertical
    44.718             Frequency              59.943
    1664                 Total               746
    56                Front Porch              1
    192               Back Porch              22
    136                  Sync                  3
    1280                Active               720
    POSI               Polarity              POSI
    Cheers, Lee

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    With a PC though, native resolution is usually the best option. You just can't get this via digital. BTW Loonatic, still haven't really solved my Lumagen/MXE problem, but thanks for the settings. The new software does not have 'back porch' settings. I'm hoping to try my iscan HD on our demo 50mxe, which has a 1280/768 setting, then copy the other default settings if they work. Bet it's the back porch thing though, in which case I'll have to wait for Gordon's return.

9. adspence

adspence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    mmm, tried the first one and my display went mental...many different shades of blue horizontal stripes. Not sure I want to mess about like that. Thanks for trying to help though.

10. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well mine is working fine mate and the timings I gave you are the official ones from Pioneer themselves.

BTW you don't need the back porch entry if you have the total, active, sync and front porch settings as its just calculated.

Meaing that BP = TOTAL - ACTIVE - SYNC - FP and similarly FP = TOTAL - ACTIVE -SYNC - BP.

So that can't be the problem I wouldn't have thought...perhaps the Lumagen is playing up for some reason.

Be interesting to see how the iScan HD compares to the Lumagen on the MXE1 though.

Cheers, Lee

11. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Did you turn off the auto update setting in PowerStrip ? as you don't want to apply them until you have entered them all.

They are official Pioneer timings...I didn't just make them up BTW.

Cheers, Lee

12. adspence

adspence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    When you say auto-update, do you mean the "real-time adjustment" setting? I did set this off before changing the values. I'll try again tomorrow - gone back to PC input for now.

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    That's what I thought, but not reassuring when you can't see what's going on. BTW how did you get the numbers from Pioneer? I sell their products, I have an account, I can't find anyone who knows about this kind of stuff. Mind you I haven't seen my rep in a year!

14. adspence

adspence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Finally revisited this issue now that I've upgrade my whole PC with a GPU that has an HDMI out (and a DVI attached to the PC monitor). All the same issues surfaced, the latest NVidia drivers are no help. Tried all the example custom settings here again. No luck. Its resolutely stuck at 1125i. When I look at the Advanced Timing settings (something I don't think was in my old drivers) I notice that it says Back-End active=1920 and 540 for H/V respectively. Clearly that isn't right, but setting a custom setting with 1280x720 isn't helping, it just seems to get wiped whenever I reset the screen, and goes back to 1920x540 Interlaced. :confused:

Did anyone get the perfect settings for the Pio plasmas from a PC via HDMI?

So the lovely Octavia HDMI switcher I have (thx Joe et al) to cope with the single HDMI input is sitting idle. I though this was going to be the fix to all my problems.

PS: The problem with running it as 1080i/1125i other than the dreadful flicker (and huge overscan) is that when I playback a HD source file from Media Player all I get is a black screen (via VGA, which is what I've done for the last two years, everything has been relatively fine, except for a bit of shearing from time to time).

15. adspence

adspence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Managed to get somewhere...the first settings posted by loonatic switched the pio to 750p. lots of overscan, and I get "Custom resolution cannot be added" when I try to compensate for this. Though this isn't the main problem. Playback of video via WMP just produces a black screen. :(

16. adspence

adspence

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Sorry to ramble on, but I've got it working, so it might help others.

The black screen was fixed by going into the WMP Options and turning off Overlays in the Video Acceleraton section, and checking "Use High Quality mode" instead.

The overscan was sorted out by a new option in the Nvidia driver panel.
    1. Go to the nView Display Settings, pick your monitor (Display 2 for me) and chose Device Settings.
    2. Ensure Treat Digital Display as HDTV is chosen, then the HDTV Overscan Configuration is available.
    3. Go into that option and go to Underscan. This will display an Nvidia screen on the plasma and you can drag the window to the size you want. I managed to get 1216x684 out of this option, which is exactly the resolution someone else posted a while back.

Its strange why this method works, but trying to create a custom resolution won't. Anyway, I'm happy, provided these settings will save themselves across a reboot (of both PC and Plasma).

Hopefully the Octavia can come out to play now.

:D