1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 504 screen burn with Xbox

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by amaltoft, Dec 31, 2004.

1. amaltoft

amaltoft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Pioneer 504 HDE in October. I observed the 200 hours of reduced brightness and contrast. I've had absolutely no problems with Sky logos, despite watching the same channel for hours on end and day after days.

However I have managed to burn the Xbox Pro Evo Soccer 4 score box into the top right hand corner. It cannot be seen during normal viewing but when the input is very black or blank (the slightly backlit black) you can see the outline as a darker black.

We played this game for a few hours on Xmas day and maybe four hours on Boxing day, split up into no more than 1 hour sessions and seperated by 1 or 2 hours of Sky viewing. This did not cause any burn.

Then I played for 2 hours late on 27th and afterwards I noticed the "ghosting". I watched an hour of Sky again but after this it was still there. And it is still there now.

At the time the contrast was either +30 or +35 and the brightness +5.

I'm not amused. I realise that you have to be careful with plasma burn but this seems poor. I am now reluctant to play Xbox games on it, esp the footy game.

:(

Has anyone has any similar experience or perhaps found the opposite (i.e. significant console usage has not caused burn)? Was I simply playing that game for too long or was the screen to bright?

Regard,

andy

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    How much have you watched the screen since playing the game ? It could well fade with continued use.

3. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Unless you are very unlucky it should clear up in about 5-6 hours normal telly useage, I had a similar scary experience not long after I got my 435, I couldn't wait to hook up my PC and use it as a full multimedia centre, i.e. PC games, surfing Divx's etc etc.

When I stuck on my Jean Michel Jarre Aero DVD for the 1st time I could see the distinctive outline of the windows internet explorer bar at top and bottom when viewing a predominantly white background. At this point I was very annoyed and the PC was relocated to another room immediately, it served as a warning to me, and cleared up as I said within a few hours of normal telly viewing.

I now only have my DVD player and Xbox hooked up to the plasma and try not to play more than a few hours xbox at any given time, it does state quite clearly in the manual to limit these kind of things and says that it should wear off in a few hours so hopefully you will just get the same scare that me and no doubt other users have had :)

p.s. I assume you implemented the "game" settings in the setup menu for the input you use your console on btw

4. bigtruth

bigtruth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try the running your plasma on analog screen snow for 30 mins, (i.e no channel tuned on analog). It may help, I found that it cleared most temprorary screen burns.

5. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well?
    is it ok now?

6. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    I played Halo2 yesterday for about 4 hours solid (great game!!).

I always see some residual burn, but it is only temporary.

I take it you set the input for your XBOX to GAME mode? I also have mine set to NTSC outputting via component 480p.

7. nujjy

nujjy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hey PDP-434HDE.

I don't know if you remember who I am (I found the Pioneer 434 at JL for a "bargain" (at that time) £2995). I know you've had many problems with swap-outs but I was wondering if you could help me, please?

I have the Pioneer 434HDE but find the colours slightly washed out when playing Halo 2 on the Xbox (Sky/DVDs are great though) . I recently went to PC World and found the picture quality on their demo TV fantastic compared to my Xbox. I know the Pioneer struggles with blacks, but the TV in PC World (be it CRT) had nice blacks, good sharp colours, just like any good CRT. I really thought my plasma would better this, but it hasn't.

I know you have, but I don't want to chip my Xbox (in case I get banned from Live!) but wanted to know what settings you or anyone else with a Pioneer 434HDE are running Halo 2 on. I'm presuming your using Input 2 (unless your connecting via component on a modded Xbox). Please can you post your colour settings, please? I'd really appreciate it.

(Without sounding rude, I DID find you the plasma tv at a good price for you, didn't i? :p :D )

Thanks, Nujjy.

8. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    And one good favour deserves another.

My XBOX is chipped. I use INPUT3 as thats the component one. I use the standard GAME settings. Halo2 looks (and sounds) fantastic.

Thanks again for the tipoff that time. Just got to add, whilst browsing about in JL Glasgow the other day I saw a returned 434 for sale for 2895. Now I wonder which one of my returned 434s it was :laugh:

Why would you use Input2, its not RGB enabled. Are you using composite? Much better to invest in one of these SVideo/Scart converters, also gives you Dolby Digital via Optical out.

9. Deep-6

Deep-6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Nujjy please take a look at this:

http://www.xboxworld.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=28489&page=1&pp=30

I am currently waiting for the bits to arrive in the post. I will be connecting it up to a 32" LCD via component! Also check the console gaming forum here on avforums for a related thread!

10. nujjy

nujjy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    :eek: You learn something new every day! So Input 2 ISN'T RGB enabled? Damn. Maybe that's why. Does Input 3 have RGB? If it doesn't I cannot connect it anywhere else because Input 1 is taken by Sky+.

I am using the Scart Connector with Optical Out, so no worries there. But my DVD player is connected via component and I do not always want to be switching between the two via the TV menu. Is there another way?

Oh, and Deep-6. Thanks VERY VERY much for that link! Have you tried it and has it worked?

11. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    I turn all of the hud display off in Pro Evo, and just have the radar left on translucent, this way I can play for hours with getting any image retention. :D

Fell asleep last night/this morning with the screen on, had a BBC News 24 box left nicely on the screen for when I awoke today, but it'll disappear over the day.

12. Deep-6

Deep-6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    No worries about that link, I was quite excited when I came across it myself! I ordered the official component cable and mega x device from lik-sang before I realised that equivalent devices could be purchased from GAME, although the component cable from game has no optical out. Looks like I wont get the kit until sometime next week, but once I have enabled hi def I will let you know the results. I am confident it will work however, haven't read of anyone that couldn't do it with the right kit!

Cheers

13. cboy

cboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    i have a modded xbox and yes the enigmah switch does work on unmodded xboxes

14. nujjy

nujjy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi. I need the answer ASAP, please.
    I know that Microsoft have the official high definition AV pack, but can I use the GAME component cable for the Xbox that they sell in their stores? I will buy the official one eventually, but I am impatient, so I need a cable now
    I am going to go shopping today and I really cannot wait to play in high definition. So, please, can someone tell me whether the GAME component cable will do the trick? IIRC, on the box, it does not say "High Definition" but simply that it is a component cable and that it gives a better picture than Scart/Composite.

So, just to repeat one more time... If High Definition is enabled on my Xbox, can I use the GAME component cable to view high definition on my TV?

Thanks,
    Nujjy

15. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    I used the GAME one for a week and a bit, before my offical one turned up.

It worked ok, but like has been said no optical out, and the offical will overall give you a better picture.

16. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I bought the game one for mine. Hooks up and reports 525p. I have since had it chipped and have the rest of the hidef resolutions available but haven't got any titles to show it off yet. Xbox media centre works a treat at 720p though. :smashin:

17. nujjy

nujjy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My Xbox is already showing 525. So is it worth the upgrade?

18. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I think the difference is that it can transmit a progressive picture as opposed to interlaced.
    My Sky+ is hooked up via RGB and is showing 625i, I am assuming that an equivalent rgb cable for xbox would show the same?

19. amaltoft

amaltoft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

thanks all for the feedback and sorry for the delay in replaying. :blush:

Well after more than a week of usage (maybe 70 hours worth) it has almost vanished. I can just make it out but I'm sure most observers would just laugh at me now as it is almost imperceptable.

So I can put this one down to a scare! :smashin:

Initially though, after two days use (~16 hours), the burn was still very prominent, so I figured that I was boned and that this was permanent burn.

I'd tried an hour of snow, hours and hours of Sky and even using black and white panning images but none of it seems to do anything.

Still all seems well now.

I wasn't using the Game setting, I was using the User setting with a contrast of 30 or 35. In future I will use the Game setting! The reason I didn't is that I use the Xbox as a DVD player too (component via that HD cable) and had it ready for that.

I imagine that the Pro Soccer game uses primary white for the score box and therefore not using the Game setting was probably a silly move.

Thanks again...

a.