Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

pioneer 504 hde buzzing

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Geordie Bry, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Geordie Bry

Geordie Bry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    purchased a week ago does any body else with same plasma notice buzzing noise coming from set can sometimes be heard over dialogue when volume low any advice would be appreciated

2. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just turned ours on. I can hear a buzz from the screen, but I have to be less than 3 feet from the front. Similarly I can hear the fan from the media box, from within about four feet. However, what I can hear (at the distances stated) is just about on the threshold of my hearing and the sound system is OFF.:D

If it's loud enough to hear over dialogue, you may have grounds for further investigation. Suggest you go back to the shop and listen to one of their's.

Or I could be a deaf old bu**er!

3. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    In my experience all plasma's buzz to a certain extent, some louder than others.

My previous Pioneer 433HDE was very bad especially as the buzz changed pitch/intensity depending on how bright/which the image was...this could be easily heard over normal dialogue.

My current panny also has a buzz which is constantly present but much less noticable...saying that thought I am the type of person who can hear a dimmer switch buzzing from 10ft.

So I think some people seem to hear the buzz more than others...depends on your hearing I guess. Also I think that the larger the screen the more likely you are to hear the buzz as it has to work harder.

I had a Sharp 37" LCD display for a while which was deadly silent, and I mean silent...shame it was pretty crap otherwise :rolleyes:

Cheers, Lee

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Try turning the brightness down a bit just to see if it is the panel brightness or some other reason. Sometimes the brightness level affects the buzz. Can't say I've noticed any from mine at any distance and with my media box in a Stands Unique cabinet with glass doors I cannot hear that either :D

5. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,173
    Just receinved my 50MXE1 - can notice the buzz from 12 feet, with sound off. Not sure about with the sound on, in the quiet of the night.

Tried switching the fans on - wow are they noisy! Like a jet engine. The manual setting I found only allowed Auto or Max. I'm assuming the fans won't really need to come on, or if they do, maybe they'll start slower.

6. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I used to have my panny on a pedestal stand and only really started to notice the buzz when I wall mounted it...it seemed like the noise was being bounced back or reflected off the wall.

So...I took the plasma down and stuck sound absorbing acoustic foam on the wall behind the plasma. This has really helped to get rid of the noise and I can only hear it now if I tune into it or stand with a couple of feet in a slient room - all windows shut etc.

It also looks pretty good and matches the rest of the room well - it's not in the lounge but in my playroom :cool:

Cheers, Lee