1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 503MXE Bezel

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ariharry, Mar 12, 2003.

1. ariharry

ariharry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just got my Pioneer 503 MXE from S&V. The advert for this panel stated that it was a PDP-503MXE(S), therefore I assumed it was a 'silver' bezel.

I took the panel out of the box, and was shocked (or not) to find that it was dark grey (charcoal?). I immediately rang S&V who stated that the colour of the plasma sent to me was 'silver' and that they don't sell any other type!.

So, is Pioneer's definition of 'silver' dark gun metal grey, or have S&V completely screwed up?. S&V also stated that Pioneer only make one colour, and that's silver!.

I checked many other retailers, and it does seem that hardly no-one offers the 503MXE in different colours (e.g silver and charcoal).

Any ideas?. Should I take it back? :confused:

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    Ariharry

Pioneer UK offer two finishes on the 503MXE display - the correct part numbers are as follows:

PDP-503MXEV (Charcoal Bezel)

PDP-503MXEV-S (Silver Bezel)

Any dealer who buys directly from Pioneer UK will have no problems ordering or supplying either unit.

Dealers who purchase through a trade distributor may not have the option to source the Silver model.

I've supplied this model in both Silver and Charcoal in the last ten days so there should be no problems sourcing one of these units in Silver.

Best regards

Joe

PS We also offer custom slip over bezels in pretty much any colour that takes your fancy.

3. ariharry

ariharry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Joe.

Now that I've got used to the charcoal bezel, I think I will stick with it (friends and family seem to think it's better than silver).

I'm dissapointed that retailer simply sold the product with little or no understanding of it (even worst, false advertisement)

BTW. Very impressed with it. Super quiet (no hums, buzzes). Only slight dissapointment is the black level when using poor input (like Sky and the sync blaster cable). High quality video sources significantly mask the black levels (DVD through component).

One observation I made about the Panny versus the Pioneer (I managed to visit Currys who had a 37 inch Panny), was the flicker on the Panny. I am sensitive to 50 Hz flicker, but I was suprised to see how apparent it was on the Panny. You can especially see it on large bright areas. The problem would probably look worst on 50 inch models.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    ariharry

Your letting then off the hook far too easily :)

Just a quick word on the flicker issues with the current 5 Series Panasonic displays - the 37" and 42" Standard Definition displays use a different screen driver technology to the 42" and 50" High Definition displays.

The 'Single Scan' driver circuitry adopted for the 5 Series Standard Definition displays seems to be the culprit as far as some people seeing flicker with these displays - flicker is not an issue on the 'Dual Scan' High Definition 5 Series displays.

Best regards

Joe

5. steve36

steve36

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Joe,
    My search would possibly have been over a while ago if anyone (possibly outside Scotland !), actually had a Panasonic HD 42" to view.
    I was just about to handover money last year when I looked again at the series 5, and wished I had bought the last series 4 nearby due to the flicker.
    Oh well, April is'nt far away to wait for the Pioneer with keydigital card. Let's hope it's not the same disappointment as the Fujitsu AVM+ box, or the Fujitsu fans in the P42HHA (in other peoples opinion).
    Is the 42" poineer MXE available with silver bezel yet ?

Thanks,
    Steve.
    :)

6. ariharry

ariharry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I may not let them off just yet ;) . It's the principle. Packing the entire thing up is the thing that put's me off, and I doubt they have silver Pioneers in stock. But having spent 5k I should get what I ordered....mmmmm....., maybe I don't like charcoal...

:devil:

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    steve36

The Pioneer 43" MXE display is currently only available from Pioneer UK with a Charcoal bezel - there are plans for a Silver option but its a few months away.

There are now 'slip over' silver bezels available in the UK (£300) or if you can do a bit of DIY its pretty simple to remove the MXE bezel and have it repainted.

The big problem with the 42" Panasonic HD displays for Home use is that it does have fans that are on all of the time.

Hopefully Gordon's Postie will be delivering those Key Digital cards soon!

Best regards

Joe

8. lab

lab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  9. ariharry

ariharry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've decided to send it back.

They apparently have many units which they believe are silver, but it seems they have a bunch of Charcoal units instead.

I'd thought about using this as an opportunity to swap it for the Panny (mainly for the better black levels), but it seems that the poor black levels are only really visible on poorly encoded Sky transmissions (in fact I was shocked at the general quality of Sky transmissions).

When I hook up my DVD player, the quality of the image produced is stunning. Black levels become a non-issue (black areas seem black), therefore I think I will stick with the Pioneer for it's all-round performance and price.

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,593
    ariharry

I wonder how many other Grey/Silver units have been delivered?

You'll have to move quickly if you want a PDP-503MXEV-S this month - the corporate boys are starting their spending spree!

Best regards

Joe

PS If your organising the carriage remember and have the display fully insured - most couriers have a capped limit and you normally have to pay extra for anything over £1k.

11. ariharry

ariharry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Apparently they have over 10 units, but they still don't believe I have a Charcoal version!. I've asked them to open the replacement to check that it's silver, which they are going to do. I also suggested that I send a picture of it :)

I presume it does say in big bold red writing PDP-503MXEV-S ?. I asked them to check that also! :rolleyes:

PS They will pick up the plassy with their own drivers, and provide a replacement, if they have any.