1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 503HDE just died - HELP!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Miles@9, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Miles@9

Miles@9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, having a happy afternoom off work while Sky+ is installed, Sky box up and running, using a 14" monitor to check box and set to RGB for use with Plasma.
    Switch on mission control, "Pop" sound from somewhere in the guts of the wireing loom behind stack. Plasma screen lights up with very odd green/pink hue then shuts down! The stand by light flashes 4 times, then nothing.

Depression is setting in........

I've tried unpluging all SCART leads from Pioneer 503HDE tuner box but still get the green/pink screen, followed by power down and flashing stand by light.

Some body, some where HELP!

This is only made worse by the fact that I've had builders in putting on a new roof
    so have been living without TV or sky for the last six weeks. And there was me thinking that Sky+ would be up and running today.

Miles.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    In warranty still? Call them anyway, it can't be very old. Most usual failure is the power supply, that's if it's the panel, but likely culprit is the media box. You heard a pop, silly question, but is the standby light on on the media box? Screen doesn't know what to do if the media box is not connected or switched off, or fuse blown. You could be lucky and find it's something simple.

3. Miles@9

Miles@9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Maw. I too thought it might be an internal fuse, but I've only got 3, 5, or 13amp at home with me, might be to big! :laugh:

I've been on to the supplier, and they've given me the number for a Pioneer service company that will come to site (much less bother than trying to ship back to supplier) They did say "Sounds like it's developed a fault" - No ****!

However, I think you're right with your idea of power supply. Hopefuly not to expensive to fix. At most a replacment tuner box. i'll let you know.

Oh well, got a lovely Sony flat screen 14" to watch on. and if I sit realy close it's just like the plasma.

Miles

:suicide:

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Their service co. is Barron McCann. The best thing to say is that they'll get there in the end. Try searching for them here. Patience is a virtue.

5. roofer

roofer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    baron mccan can be contacted on 01332 866935 just had them out my self recently

6. Miles@9

Miles@9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again. Yes that's the people I am going to call. I tried to call them to day, but it being 5:31pm was just too late. Give it another go tomorrow.

Am I being to opptermistic thinking that I'll have a working plasma some time in the next week? Roofer, do they have a quick turn-a-round?

Miles

7. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    When they came to look at my 433HDE they took it away with them and left me with a loan screen.

It took them about 10 days to come from the time I reported the fault to them. They then had it for about 4-5 days before they said it was fixed...which it wasn't - but that's another story...but it then took another 10 days for them to return with my screen.

Which is not a big problem if they leave you with a loaner...you may only get a 43" though but the wall mounting is the same as they once left me a 50" for a while.

They are based in Derby I think and provide cover for many makes of screen so are pretty busy.

My only advice would be to double check when they say they are bringing your kit back that they have it all. They took both my screen and tuner box but only brought the screen back first time around.

All in all they visited me 5 times over a two month period trying to solve my problem...which they never managed to do as it turned out to be a characteristic of the screen.

Anyway...I hope you have better dealings with them than I did.

Cheers, Lee

8. Miles@9

Miles@9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that loonatic, you've filled me with hope!

Looked into buying another tuner box, £ 600 - £ 700 as an alternitve to have them fix it. But as it's out of warrenty that's going to be £ 300+

But there is hope for me yet. There is an alternitve tuner for the 503 but not made by Pioneer, only VGA in but can't see that being a problem. Cost £ 70. Just need JS Component - VGA box to feed it. Starting to look like a cheeper way to go.
    I'll get back to you with the speck when I get it.

Miles....

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Hello Miles

Sorry to hear about your technical problems. This mystery replacement R03 media Box at £70.00 sounds intriguing. Just a coupe of points:

JS Technology dont produce a YUV2VGA converter - they do RGB2VGA and RGB2YUV along with RGB2S-Video.

Pioneer R03 Media Box has some of the screens 'brains' in it - if the control cable between the R03 and the screen is not in place (along with an R03) you wont have an operational system.

You can possibly 'bypass' the video side of the R03 (if you have a box that outputs DVI at the relevant rates) but you still need the R03 connected to control the screen.

Look forward to your findings on the 'mystery' box.

Best regards

Joe

10. Miles@9

Miles@9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Joe, Thanks for that.

On further inversetgation the mystery media box turnes out to be a digital turner box, nothing more. But as the advice came from the suppliers that sold the plasma, I thought they might know something that I didn't. So at £ 70 it was to good to be true.

Sorry Maw, back to your very first question. Yes - out of warrenty by two mounths. Must have beed the deadley warrenty fuse!

Also, just for information. I think the cause might have been the Sky+ box. When I went to disconect the Media box I got a shock from the Sky+ box. Nothing major, just a quick buzz from the screws on the case and also from the Scart lead. Could it be mains leak from the Sky+ box shorted out the input board of the media box? I've now got the Sky+ box plug into my main surge protected extention block.

Anyone know where to buy a cheep media box?

Miles.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Let's hope the media box is all it is. A shock off your sky box, if it wasn't static, warrants investigation, and could, if faulty, cause the problem I'm sure. Never heard of it yet mind.

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Miles9

Have to concur with MAW - if you have any doubts whatsoever about the electrical safety of your Media Box please disconnect it from your mains and AV system and have it looked at by a SKY Service centre (its not that unusual I find to get the odd 'twinge' from modern kit but certainly nothing to pop other bits of kit).

(Note - it is prudent to have everything switched off at the mains when your plugging cables around).

Also just to be clear your mains protection block is designed to stop any mains surges getting to your kit - it wont stop any electrical problems happening between two bits of kit connected by a SCART cable or similar. It would probably switch everything off if a problem occurs - but only after the problem occurs and the damage has been done.

Best regards

Joe

13. Miles@9

Miles@9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Folks,

Just an update to let you know the plasma is back on the wall at home and all is well. It's had the scan IC replaced on the screen (and there was me thinking it was the media box).

Managed to get it fixed FOC through a friend. But would like to thank those that took the time to reply during my darkest hour.

Miles..........

14. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are a lucky man if THIS was your darkest hour up to now...