1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 503 MXE and TAG DVD32R

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by hilljd, Oct 9, 2002.

1. hilljd

hilljd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'll be getting one of these plasmas next week, including the optional video card. I was wondering if anyone out there uses one with the TAG player, and if so what is the best way to connect the two together.

The card comes with an S video input which is of course an option, but I would rather hope to use the TAG component outputs (I don't have the TAG scaler board yet). I suspect the RGB input on the plasma will not be usable as it requires five connections not three. However Pioneer do say that three of the five can be used with 'G on Sync'. In my naivety I'm hoping that this is Pioneer-speak for component, but I guess I'm being optimistic here. I've searched for an explanation of 'G on Sync' on the web and drawn a blank.

Anyone with any advice here? Thanks.

Jeremy (sooo excited about the new toy!).

2. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeremey,

A 503 and Tag DVD - very nice - I'm sure you will be very happy. I have the 433 with 5002 board and yes, a direct component out (YUV) from a DVD player shoudl work fine on the 3 R, G, B inputs on the 503 main connection block. The picture will be sharper (on component than over S-Video (no colour bleeding) although on my Pioneer 656 DVD player the colours are slightly duller over component. Of course you can tweak this on either the plasma or DVD menus.

Enjoy,
    Phil

3. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just FYI - I think your talking about sync on G, which is known as RGsB - what you get from a SCART socket if memory serves. Most plasma's can't do this though without an adaptor, as the sync voltage is too low.

Have fun.

4. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,
    I have a Tag dvd32r going to a Pioneer 433 via component(bnc to bnc).
    Picture is very nice.Same board,5002.
    Regards

5. hilljd

hilljd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent, thanks a lot guys!

Best go find a BNC-BNC cable before the beast arrives then...

6. davejw

davejw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi EvilMudge

Just for information a scart gives RGB S with the composite synch derived from the composite video feed. The signal can be too weak for some plasmas (NEC seem OK) but a synchblaster cable would do the trick. To get the plasma to work you need a RGB 4 BNC connector option in the menu.

Regards

Dave

7. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info davejw.

Is the NEC the consumer unit or a professional monitor?

8. davejw

davejw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The professional and consumer do not differ in connectivity / setup only filter to meet Class a or B emmissions.

Either PD or MP will do the same.

I have actually found that the most issues are with the set top boxes not the plasma.

Dave