Pioneer 500M - Any Value?

nheather

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Just replaced my Pioneer 500M with a 65” OLED.

Whether I have done the right thing or not is moot, it has been done.

Anyone I was wondering whether there is any resale value in the 500M.

Of course I have done some googling but that has left me unconvinced. There are plenty of enthusiasts boasting that the 500M is better than any OLED but I can’t tell if that is a widely held opinion or just the fanbase.

I look on eBay and there are listings for £450, but they are not selling and you can list for whatever you want, doesn’t mean that’s the value.

I check the ebay ‘sold’ listings and there is a wide range of prices but seem to average around £150, but you also see spare parts like remotes and control PCBs selling for nearly as much.

Just wondering if there is still and market and how much I should pitch it at.

Cheers,

Nigel

Its value is in that you have an awesome TV. The issue is people buying today are just looking for slightly different things. The TV is much bigger and has much chunkier bezels than you'd want, its now very old and probably a bit too close to its date if failure than we'd like to admit; with no warranty for such an old TV its just a bit of a risky purchase.

and finally at 50 inches, its now probably too small for a lot of enthusiasts who would appreciate the beautiful picture coming form it.

The problem is for someone buying the set, its probably not worth the hassle and once you add in transport etc.. its just a bit of a pain.

I for example would chip in a cheeky offer, but I've sadly grown into the 65'' gang.

It saddens me to say this but from the Classifields, I'd say its around £150 (which is a bargain who whoever gets it).

The issue is old second hand OLEDs are now approaching the <500 price range, and now we have netflix HDR content, slowly the plasma will more difficult to accept of its technological short comings (res + hdr).

That’s pretty much my thoughts.

Once I have collected all the stuff together, I have the panel itself, the remote, documentation, may even have the box (need to check) and the proper Pioneer wall mount.

Will put it up in classifieds later to see what happens.

Cheers,

Nigel

That’s pretty much my thoughts.

Once I have collected all the stuff together, I have the panel itself, the remote, documentation, may even have the box (need to check) and the proper Pioneer wall mount.

Will put it up in classifieds later to see what happens.

Cheers,

Nigel

I hope you get a decent price.

If I was you, I'd probably just try and find a room for it in the house or give it to a friend. Depends how much the money is worth to you but its one of those strange purchases where the quality of picture it produces is amazing but its just not valued in today's market.

I think most of us have our eyes on a 65" for our next tellys but if you could deliver to Surrey area I might well be interested in buying it to keep me going until I decide exactly where I wanna go next.

Hi nheather,

if you still have the 500m I’ll take off your hands for £150.
Thx
GMAN40

Hi nheather,

if you still have the 500m I’ll take off your hands for £150.
Thx
GMAN40

That would be an acceptable price ... BUT ... I want to do this all above board so I will advertise it properly in the classifieds.

I'm working away from home so can't list it until Friday as I would want to include photos.

Be aware that - I'm not prepared to post so collection would be preferred but could come to delivery arrangement if the buyer is nearby.

I'll let you know when I put up the listing in classifieds.

Never sold a TV before - are there any details you would expect to see in the listing?

Cheers,

Nigel

Well I think the first question you will get, aside from the obvious (cosmetic condition, remote working/included etc) is are there any issues such as dead pixels, red tint etc. and some may want to know how many hours it has done which I think will mean working out how to get into the service menu. I'm sure that's something you can find out from threads in these forums. That said with a TV of this age people may not care too much.

One question I would have is are the original speaker cables that came with the set include. I believe the 500m has unusual plug connectors rather than the spring clips found on the other models which means without them you have to run sound through a full av system at all times which isn't ideal.

Well I think the first question you will get, aside from the obvious (cosmetic condition, remote working/included etc) is are there any issues such as dead pixels, red tint etc. and some may want to know how many hours it has done which I think will mean working out how to get into the service menu. I'm sure that's something you can find out from threads in these forums. That said with a TV of this age people may not care too much.

One question I would have is are the original speaker cables that came with the set include. I believe the 500m has unusual plug connectors rather than the spring clips found on the other models which means without them you have to run sound through a full av system at all times which isn't ideal.

Thanks for the heads up about the cables. As it stands, honestly I’d have to say I have no idea where they are. I have never used them, but on the other hand I tend not to throw stuff away so there is every chance that they are stored away in a place I thought sensible at the time. I’ll have a rummage through the most likely drawers and hopefully they are in there.

Cheers,

Nigel

They still have value in my opinion as they are still great TV's and can hold their own in regards to picture quality even in today's age of 4K, 8K TV's.

If I feed my 500A a good quality 1080p Blu-Ray it has a more desirable picture to me than my Calibrated Panasonic EZ952 OLED and that says it all for me. Yes, I have some 4K HDR Blu-Rays and they do look stunning but there is just something about the Kuro that pleases me, I think it's stunning still to this day.

I've just had my KRP-M01 Media Receiver repaired/refurbished by the_pioneer_man on eBay as it had an intermittent 8 Blink fault that I wanted to get fixed and I now hope to get many more years out of the old girl :thumbsup:

The value is not so much in what's its financially worth to me as I will never sell it, yes it might be worth £200 in today's market but it's priceless to me and I want it to live for many more years.

I've just had my KRP-M01 Media Receiver repaired/refurbished by the_pioneer_man on eBay as it had an intermittent 8 Blink fault that I wanted to get fixed and I now hope to get many more years out of the old girl :thumbsup:

had my media box fixed this summer , 600a kRP 11years old this November , hope I get a few more years out of it too:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom