• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Pioneer 50' vs Sharp 52'

J

jpit

I have narrowed down my flat panel search to these 2 TV’s, the Sharp LC-52D62U and the Pioneer PDP-5070HD. This will be the main TV of the house with at least 6 hours of regular television use and 2 hours of movies (DVD) per day every day. Plasma Burn In is a major concern for me because I have 3 children who will have free rein of the TV and might not always have it in the proper setting(i.e. aspect ratio) or who might leave a DVD title page up for hours(has happened and will happen again…guaranteed). I am also concerned about burn in when I watch a movie that was filmed in 2.40:1 that will still have black bars on the top and bottom.
My biggest concerns with the Sharp are: quality control problems with this model (screen irregularities) and response times (of all LCD’s), because I watch a lot of fast moving sports. I like the idea of the Sharp being 1080p but my viewing distance is 10 feet so I don’t think it’s that big of a concern.

AventadorSVJ

I am also looking at these 2 screens so I am very interested in any response to this.

A friend has the Pioneer Pioneer PDP-505XDE which is the 5th generation version of the 507 - I rate it as outstanding in every area, except for the black levels which are easily beaten by any top end CRT TV.

I have also looked at Samsung PS50Q7HD plasma which I compared with the Pioneer PDP-507XDE briefly and it seemed to perform almost aswell. Blacks were perhaps better on the Samsung but colours maybe slightly better on the Pioneer.

I have also heard quite a few issues with the Sharp LC-52D62U (LC-52XD1E in UK), regarding banding and buzzing. It seems its 50:50 whether you get a set with these problems.

The Pioneer is only 720p/1080i but can except 1080p/24 on HDMI making it compatible with Blu-Ray/ HD-DVD but will obviously be downscaled for its display.

Only heard of image retention issues with the Pioneer but my friends 5th generation does not have any issues with this and he using his XBOX 360 on it regularly!

chaparral

Plasma Burn In is a major concern for me because I have 3 children who will have free rein of the TV and might not always have it in the proper setting(i.e. aspect ratio) or who might leave a DVD title page up for hours(has happened and will happen again…guaranteed). .

Pioneer plasma's have a setting to protect the screen from burn if a DVD title page or some other static image is left on screen by accident..

This setting works by turning the plasma off automatically if there is no remote input or button presses are received within 3 hours...

J

jpit

Thanks Chaparral for the info, but what about burn in when I watch a movie that was filmed in 2.40:1 that will still have black bars on the top and bottom.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom