1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 50" plasmas

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by notlongnow, Feb 14, 2005.

1. notlongnow

notlongnow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a brand new member looking to buy a 50 "screen (not long now) does anyone have any thoughts on the following:

1. How come the internet companies are offering the latest pdp505XDE for less (£3679 from topelectricals.co.uk) than the older pdp504HDE (c. £4,300). I understand the 505XDE is the later set and come with a freeview tuner.

2. (I will probably regret this but) what else do you recommend out there for £4-4.5K?

Many thanks
    Mike :thumbsup:

2. Nostromo426

Nostromo426
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. Isn't the pdp504HDE a Hi Def panel? hence the price.

2. I have just installed at Panny TH-50PHD7 (around £3600) and cannot recommend it enough truly amazing. This model is panel only but I have Sky+ so no need for a tuner.
    I viewed the 50" Pioneer and Panasonic together at AV Sales and IMO the panny PQ was far superior - and IMO the panny looks classier nice slim charcoal bezel (also available in silver I believe)

3. Andrew_P_S

Andrew_P_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would 2nd that

Bought the TH50-PHD7 a couple of months ago after a similar test. IMO picture quality, particularly the blacks are stunning. Feed it a High Definition picture and your jaw will drop!

There is a question over future SKY HD compatibility though (50Hz vs 60Hz) which may need the addition of some kit at some point in the future.

For now.... for me.... it is the dogs janglies......

4. notlongnow

notlongnow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys for both the above. So are you saying that the 504HDE is a different type of screen to the 505XDE - I thought one was aimed at replacing the other?

If you have time, can you tell me or direct me to more info about Hi Def? It's not a criteria I have focussed on until now.

Mike

Will definately start looking at the Panny.

Thanks again.

5. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I believe the 505HDE replacment model for the 504 is not available in Europe, but the next model up, 505XDE has an integrated digital terrestrial tuner (freeview).

The 504HDE is no longer available from distribution, Just prior to the launch of the 505 models in Oct/Nov it was impossible to get a 504 other than ex-demo or stock lying in a retailer's stockroom, so I would question as to whether you could actually get hold of one new currently.

The price of the 505 is now between £500 - £800 cheaper than launch, it's just plain old supply and demand, and Pioneer's marketing and distribution pushing it out to retailers, and retailers falling over each other to discount each other. There is also an official trade-in-your-old-tv offer which some people are using to discount the price further at the moment.

6. TheWool

TheWool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just to add to the 50" PHD7 praise, I purchased mine from Joe at TMF a few weeks ago and am mega pleased - the panel to rule all panels. No matter the source - DVD (via JS RGB conv.), Gamecube, PS2 or NTL it seems to perform outstandingly well, with little or no artefacting present at 11.5 feet away (and this is without a scaler!)

Have not yet input a HD source so cannot comment, for me personally Sky HD is not the be all and end all, if my panel can't handle it then it's no loss to me. I'm future proofed in that the PHD7 can handle Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, that is enough for me.

7. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    I wouldnt touch the Panasonic until the question over is Sky HD compatibility is resolved. The Pioneer is SKY HD ready. The Panasonic may never be or will require significant additional monetary investment to be compatible.

The 505XDE is a very nice plasma TV indeed. If you prefer the Panasonic my advice would be to hold out for the new models which undoubtedly will be released soon.

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    One thing I would say after spending some time with a mates pioneer, I think the hde/xde screens frame rate convert?? Someone tell me if I am wrong.

If this is the case then I can not see any reason to buy one over the Panasonic screens, as you can buy a scaler to convert sky HD from 50 to 60hz and scale to the panasonics native resolution too.
    I hate FRC but it seems a lot of panels seem to do it anyway, the panasonic doesn't though, and neither do the MXE Pioneers but they wont take HDCP at all will they?

So to sum up I would buy which one you like the look of as the ones that are compatible seem to FRC anyway!

The new Fujitsu 50" uses a panny glass and is fully compatible, that would be worth having a demo of.

9. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All 50" Plasma are Hi Definition screens. THIS isn't to say they are all SKY HD compatible though. As far as I know only the Pioneeer plasma screens are SKY HD compatible and dthis includes the 43" one.

Koing