Pioneer 50" 506XDE at Bristol Show

Dave Gray

Established Member
Reaction score
Had a good look at one of these babies at the Bristol show on Friday afternoon with a view to upgrading my 42" Panny PWD4.
"Come on babe, let's go see the new 50" plasma we want to buy." I say.
"It better be bloody good for over £3000" she replies.
"It's the ultimate babe, all the magazines rave about it...it'll blow mine away for quality and impact! We need it for Sky Hi Def" I reply.

It looked absolutely stunning with the Pioneer Hi Def clips, one of the best pictures I've seen on a plasma. However...
Batman Begins on DVD looked awful, very grainy and blocky, picture definition looked soft. I think it was being fed by a Pioneer DV939AVi (at least that was closest to it!!!) which is an upscaling player of the highest order I think. Now Batman Begins looks stunning on my current screen and shows none of the artefacts that I saw on the 506XDE. I could'nt get to talk to any of the Pioneer reps (too busy) and my missus then had other ideas and drags me away.

"Sky Hi Def looks rubbish (thanks a lot Sky sales prevention team by the main entrance:mad: ) so were not having that now" she says,
"Sod your new plasma keep your old one, we're going on a proper holiday instead, and I want a new cooker!"

Now I know my non HD PWD4 is awesome with SD stuff (Sky,DVD etc..) but is it possible to get a 50" that is excellent with HD and SD? Or am i just being too fussy?
Did anybody else see the 506XDE at the show running DVD? Can anyone with a 506XDE tell me how their screens are with DVD?
Please help...I don't want the holiday and the current cookers fine...I want AV Nirvana instead!!!

From previous experience, your mistake was taking the missus. From my experience, 'er indoors wants to turn on the telly, watch soaps and thats it. Doesn't care about make/model/HD/technical issues.burn in etc....

Dave,
Funny you should say that because I said excatly the same thing to our bro when we were down there on Friday. I only saw the Batman demo on it and it looked c**p!

For what it's worth I got delivery of the 436XDE last Saturday (started to panic after seeing the demo of the 506 on Friday) but picture quality from DVD is superb. Mines being fed from an 868i player through hdmi and upscaled to 720p, must admit was blown away with the quality and as good as anything I saw at the show.
Can only guess it was the way they were feeding the screen but it's a bit disappointing from Pioneeer and wo'nt help sales I'm sure.

But from Sky now theres a different tale.....

Phew! Thanks Smiffy!
Looks might I might get out of buying the cooker after all!!!:devil:

With your setup, any particular reason why you are heading for a consumer telly to replace your very fine panel? Have you checked the Panasonic 50PHD8? It would even fit the same mount.

Thanks MAW...God knows why I did'nt think of the 50" Panny, a lack of reviews in the mags I suppose (I know, I know...don't trust everythng you read in the mags!!!).
I think I need to see one of these babies in action!
My PWD4 is wall mounted, will the 50" Panny fit the 42" Panasonic wall bracket or is it the stand to which you are refering?:smashin:

Wall or stand, it does not matter. Worcester, hmmm, Piers is noit too bad from you, he only has the 42 tho, an 8 series. Wonder how different it is to your 4?

I noticed the crap picture at the Bristol show with the same Batman demo running. I put it down to something they were doing as EVERYWHERE raves about the picture quality. Probably using a composite video cable!...

Rich

I was at the Bristol Show on friday too & bought the PDP-508XD for 2 grand. (Can be bought cheaper on line.) Was this model not an option for you?
Can receive 1080p input but screen resolution is only 768. Thought the picture was superb when running from the Blue Ray player, however, I didn't see the Batman demo. Was this from blue ray source?

Oops - glad to hear that you agree the picture on the kuro is second to none. Looking forward to receiving the order. Thanks:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom