1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 470 vs 575 to replace 717 Tank!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by slyborg, Aug 10, 2004.

1. slyborg

slyborg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi

Looking for a cheap player that has decent PS for my plasma and supports all manner of formats, both of these seem to fit the bill and am wondering if there is any point in getting the 575 as I don't need the audio or the decoding as I'll be running it through my Denon 3803 anyway.

I've looked around but can't see much difference in the 2 other than what I mentioned above.

Si

2. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Plasma and a 3803 seems worthy of a player better than either IMO.

3. slyborg

slyborg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hehehe in that case any reasonably priced suggestions, having just spent a boat load on the 42" plasma a big ole SVS sub and a full set of B&W speakers I'm not as flush as I was :)

4. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    What's your max budget then?

5. slyborg

slyborg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    To be honest it depends as there is always the credit option :) My only objection is to paying say 300+ for a player that I'm not really going to see a significant improvement with. Now if ya talking sound and picture improvement then that's different. I bought my 717 way back when it first came out for a horrific 600+ and don't want to end up doing the same again. I'm not that clued in to DVD players and how much they can affect audio as well as picture quality. If it helps my plasma is the 5 series Panasonic.

I also haven't had the time to keep track of the latest upcoming developments and whether or not there are big things coming that would warrant a stop-gap player for the time being, JPG and Divx playback are on my list of desired options though as I have a lot of home video in Divx atm and mountains of 5 megapixel pictures looking for a good archive like a DVD.

Hope the above isn't too vague and any advice is appreciated :)

Bottom line I'd probably not want to spend more than about 300 unless there are v.compelling reasons.

6. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Does your screen have any input options like HDMI?

I've just gone from a 575 to a Denon 2900 (£558 down from £850) and it's a move I regret not making earlier. Picture quality is better (although not massively) but the audio absolutely destroys the 575. As I'm using one machine for DVD, SACD and CD that's important to me, but it may not with you.

I was impressed with the performance of the 575 for the money, but the build quality left an awful lot to be desired.

7. slyborg

slyborg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    No, in terms of inputs I just have the standard VGA, Component and S-Video (not sure if an HDMI board is available for the 5 series Panny plasmas) you say the sound is vastly improved. If I go to something like say the 575 would the sound processing then be handled by the 3803?

I would have thought AV Amps would handle sound processing better than DVD players?

Just out of interest if I go coax or optical out from my DVD player to my amp then will the amp not handle the decoding, in which case I need only worry about picture quality?

I must confess to never having looked into the whole decoding issue between players and amps.

Si

8. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Sorry - I should have clarified that I meant the sound output from the analogue 5.1 connections, and the standard phono connections for CD playback.

If the signal is output via a digital signal to the amp then the amp's DACs handle the conversion, with the analogue connections used for multi-channel audio and CD playback the player's DACs handle the conversion.

In terms of musical ability there is no contest between the 575 and 2900 (but then neither should there be considering the price difference). That, and build quality, were my 2 reasons to change - they might not be important to you though....

9. slyborg

slyborg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sooo to summarise :)

If all I'm after is picture improvement by way of the PS option and am going to let my Denon handle the sound decoding my best option given I don't use the player for audio CD playback is probably to go for the 470 as I have no need of the decoding in the 575.

I'll then look to upgrade when I get HDMI sorted for my plasma :)

Si

10. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I would say that's a good summary.

:)

11. slyborg

slyborg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Cheers for the advice :)

Now to find the cheapest 470 I can hehe

Si

12. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    :smashin:

13. slyborg

slyborg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Actually looking into it a tad more unless I'm mistaken the 575 supports more DVDR formats and that's quite important for DVD backups etc as I'm getting more are more stuttering/freezing with the 717 no matter what media I use :-(