Pioneer 470 or other budget dvd player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Nabs, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Nabs

Nabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I wish to buy a budget dvd player for my parents. One however that can cope with all the disc formats I lend them:
    Vcd, SVCD, DVDR(W) +&- esp.
    Dual layer DVD and DIVX would be a bonus.

I was thinking about the pioneer 470 as know the picture quality is usually reliable on the pioneer and my budget is around the £100 mark.

Any verdicts on this or other suggestions?

2. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi

The 470 is a great player for the money. Plays everything, even from cheaper DVD-R discs bought at the computer fair in addition to the usual VCD and SVCD from CD-R and CD-RW.

Picture and sound are good, especially if being replayed into a TV rather than a plasma or LCD.

However, having bought both a 470 and a Pioneer DV-370 I would also consider the cheaper the DV-370 if it's for your parents. In my case all they want to do is pop in a DVD and press play with the occasional chapter skip, resume and JPEG features being used.

For my parents a DVD player with any more features than the 370 is overkill, they would never appreciate of even be able to see the differences in picture quality from a more expensive DVD player on their 28inch widescreen CRT. It would be throwing good money away.

Check both players out. I think the styling of the DV-470 is the only difference between the 470 and 370, same features and processor I think. BTW build quality is excellent and we've had no problems with either player i.e. player crashes, unexplained problems with picture or sound. Solid player. :thumbsup:

3. shippers

shippers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whats the difference between the dv 370 & the dv 370s ????? :confused:

4. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The DV-370 is black and the DV-370S is silver. Quite useful if you want to match existing components and your TV.

5. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Just checked the comparison on the Pioneer site for the DV-370S and DV-470 and have listed the differences. Those below are the additional features the DV-470 has over the DV-370, everything else is the same:

DivX Video Playback/Official DivX Certified Product
    108 MHz/12-bit Video D/A Converter
    Video Adjustment
    2 Audio outputs (analogue)

6. shippers

shippers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks laser :)