1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 464 or 565?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by CatManDo, Nov 9, 2003.

1. CatManDo

CatManDo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    I am looking for something to replace my Pioneer 525 and was strongly
    considering the 565 as a suitable replacement.

I have however also been looking at the 464 which is considerably cheaper.

Does anyone know what the major differences are? I know one is the DVD
    audio feature but I aint too fussed about that.

Do you think the 464 will be a worthy replacement of the 525?

TIA

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,019
    Do you mean the DVD-A and SACD ? the 565 also has outputs to for the separate surround channels. Also progressive scan to NTSC.

I would also take it that the picture is better as well as the sound but not seeing them side to side I cannot say for sure.

3. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Hi there - all the magazines I have read say that the 565 is a superb machine for the money - especially when you consider that it handles DVD-A and SACD as well as bog standard DVD Video - I am currently thinking of buying a new DVD player myself and cannot see past the 565. Also, at £199 from some net traders, it sounds like really good value for money. The 464 I have not read about, but certainly know that I would (and probably will) spend the extra.

4. BAD Dave

BAD Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    As a replacement for my Toshiba 210e, I can't see past the 565 either!
    A couple of questions, though.

1. Has picture quality and sound quality moved on much since the Toshiba 210 (a pretty good machine at the time)

2. Does the Pioneer enable any kind of bass management? Connecting a DVD-Audio capable player via the 5.1 analogue input disable the admittedly rather crude "bass amanagement" function of my Yamaha A5 amplifier. Will this be a problem?

5. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    I am not sure about the bass management capabilities of the 565, although I would expect that it does offer that. However, you should be able to check it up by visiting http://www.pioneer.co.uk and looking for the technical details on the 565.

Cheers.

6. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    I have checked the Pioneer web site, and yes, the 565 does offer bass management.

:clap:

7. Sheks

Sheks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
  8. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    I don't believe that it is..

After being very happy with my 545, I have been waiting for something which is 'PAL Progressive' to use on my Plasma.. I can't believe that the current batch of Pioneer players arn't.

If the 565 could be made PAL Progressive, I would buy one immediatly, but I am positive that there is no way to make it so.

I either have to wait until perhaps the 575 comes out (even then there is no guarantee that it will be P.P), or buy a Sony instead (Which is also getting rave reviews)!

9. TranceFan

TranceFan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    try the Sony 930, doesnt have the DVD audio, but has PAL/NTSC progressive scan. i took back my Pioneer 565a because of the horizontal banding problem with RGB output with Philips and Panasonic TVs, (doesnt affect SVIDEO/component). The Sony also plays all my DVDrs.

10. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    I was bored in work today, so ordered the Sony 930..

I watched Finding Nemo last night on my Plasma fed with my 545 using RGB and the picture was AMAZING.

I can't believe that it can get any better with Progressive Scan, but unless I try, I will never know.

I am sure that the Sony will do everything that Pioneer does.. I have already taken a pile of DVD-Rs to my local Sony shop and tried them out.. THey all played perfectly, even the ones on old duff disks!!

My only disappointment is that the Sony doesn't support JPEG.. I was hoping that my next player would be able to play CDs containing JPEG pics straight of my camera.. But you can't have everything.. What was a surprise is that the Sony DOES play SVCD.. When I was looking for my last player (a couple of years ago), the Pioneer 545 was the only one which would! The only thing is that I got bored of creating SVCDs of my home-video footing (infact I got bored of using my camcorder), so its not a lot of use anyway!

11. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hi All

You may want to look at the new Yamaha DVDS540.

It does not offer the DVD-A or SACD but does have PAL & NTSC Progressive Scan and on the net can be purchased for about £120 in M/R format.

I am also tossing up between these two myself and perhaps for my use the yamaha would be good as I doubt I will use SACD/DVD-A but would like something that will match my future RXV1400RDS amp that I plan to buy.

Cheers

Tone