Pioneer 463XDE - A few Q's

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Pulsar, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +357
    Hi all.

Here is a bit of background info.

I currently run 2 setups. My first a is a general lounge setup with a 18 month old Panny PWD6 42" plasma, sky+, XBOX 360 and cheap Tosh DVD. The second is a dedicated room with Sanyo Z3 projector and HTPC (audio side not important for questions). Due to a number of reasons I have recently stopped using the cinema room as much, and prefer to watch movies in the lounge on the plasma.

This got me thinking about making my lounge setup my only setup with a HD plasma. With this in mind I began researching the current plasma screens available, and decided that on specs alone, the Pioneer 436XDE look great. Before I take the plunge, I want to consult you knowledgeable folk about my desired setup and highlight any possible problems.

Here is a list of what I would be using woth the Pioneer:

XBOX 360 - 720p via component video
    HTPC - Any res (probably 1024x768) via VGA
    Sky+ - RGB scart (will go SkyHD as soon as poss)

Here are my questions/concerns:

1. At the moment I am more than happy with the sky+ performance of my PWD6 using a JS RBG to VGA v2 box. Will the Pioneer be any worse than this?

2. I plan to use the HTPC to play PAL and NTSC DVD's. Can I send a 48,60,72hz signal to the media box? If I do, does the frame rate get converted and mess up the picture in anyway? (I am quite susceptible to motion judder) Does the media box only send the screen one set refresh rate?

3. Can the Pioneer take a 1080p signal via HDMI?

4. Can anyone try to quantify how much better the 436XDE looks when fed a hidef signal (XBOX 360 or PC hidef films) than a Panny PWD6? I don't want to spend all this money on an upgrade for no improvement.

5. Sort of relating to question 2, if I send a standard PC 1024x768 signal to the Pioneer, is the desktop usable? I understand that it will be horizontaly stretched, but will it appear to be 1:1 pixel mapped?

6. What other plasma screens should I consider around the same price point of the Pioneer?

I understand that some of these questions could be answered by having a demo, but I don't think that I could get one locally, and plan to buy online, and won't waste a dealers time by using them for a demo when I don't intend to give them business.

If you can answer one or more of my questions, or just give any useful input I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks

Rob