Pioneer 454 won't play DVDRs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jon Weaver, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +658
    I recently purchased a DVD writer and was happy to find that my Pioneer 545 plays EVERY type of media.. (DVD-R, DVD-RW, cheap, expensive etc).

I was therefore happy to recommend the new Pioneer 454 to a few friends.

They took delivery this week and I tried a DVD-R and DVD-RW as a test.

Admittedly, the media was cheap and nasty, but they both play fine on my 545.

I was surprised to find that they didn't work, but I put this down to the fact that it was crap media.

This weekend I repeated the test with some good media.. The disks in question play fine on every other DVD player (except the Toshiba, but thats a known problem), but not the new Pioneer!

The Toshiba fault is a software issue.. it reads the disk (within a few seconds) and reports 'Disk Error'.

But the Pioneer looks like its can't read the media. The disk spins for quite a while and the drive make a bit of noise before it reports that it cann't play the disc.

This is quite worrying, as the older Pioneer models have very good compatability.. The fact that they can make a new model which has little compatabilty with DVD-R media means its possible that DVD-Rs written now, may not be readable on new DVD hardware in the future.

Has anyone had any experience in this or ideas as to how to fix it.

BTW. I am using Nero 5.5.9.0. I know that Nero has its problem, but the fact that the disks play find on other Pioneer models makes me think that this is a problem with the DVD Player.

2. Datastorm

Datastorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon,

I have just bought a DV-350 after reading a review, which I believe it basically the same as the DV-454 except no optical out.

I have had a bit of mixed bag with compatibility as well.

So far Memorex, and really cheap DVD-R from Scan.co.uk seem to work OK.

However my Princo & Data Safe discs won't play. I have just learn't however that there is a bug in Nero which affects these discs and others, although they used to play in my old Samsung player.

Will keep you informed if I find anything else out.

Jeff

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +658
    Interesting.

I have so far tried:

DataSafe RW
    DataSafe
    TraxData
    DiscPlannet
    Neo

All play perfectly on my Pioneer 545, but not on the 454.

All of these were burned using Nero.. I have done another test using RecordNOW, but I am not expecting it to work.

I have a gut feeling that the problem is that the player can't read the media, as opposed to the content. I base this on the noise that the drive makes.. It just sounds like its struggling to read the disks.

4. snyphr

snyphr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use Prassi Primo DVD and Ulead Movies studio to author and duplicate my stuff with and it seems to work fine on my DV-454-S. It sounds a bit strange that your 454 doesn't read dvd-r. I've managed to get the following discs to work on my 454:

FWS Media
    White Label
    Verbatim
    TDK
    Princo (3G)
    Datasafe (2x certified 3.2G Gold Top)

Perhaps its worth noting that there are two ways of mastering dvd-r. I'm not sure as to the exact details but it has something to do with the way the directory structure is created. I don't use nero but you may want to look into this...

hope this helps

5. Trailblazer XP

Trailblazer XP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jon

I use a pioneer A03 dvd-writer with nero 5.5.9.0 and adaptec aspi layer 4.60.

I have recently supplied 2 454's (from AVLand), and these machines playback DVD-R's OK.

media used: mixture of bulkpaq and datasafe gen 3. These are rated at 1x record, (pain in the butt I know), what is your recording speed?

6. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +658
    Good news.. It was Nero all the time.

I have burned a disk using RecordNOW and tried it on the 454 and it plays fine.

Nero never made disks which work on Toshiba players.. It seems that it doesn't make disks which work on the new Pioneers too.

Good news is that RecordNOW has also fixed the Toshiba problem too.. The disk I burned with it works on my friends Toshiba 510E too..

I have mailed Nero in the hope that they are interested, but I will move over to using RecordNOW from now on.

7. john kelly

john kelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    guess what i also have a 454 wont play the discs, so i brought the 656 for my plasma and it plays the same discs.
    same age machine better spec but you would think if it plays in a 656 it would play in a 454.

anyone found the exact reason why it doesn't play and how to get round it??
    :hiya:

8. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    They have actually released a fixed version, however I believe it is still less compatible than the likes of stomp.

9. john kelly

john kelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone got a link as to where you can download a trial of record now:rotfl:

10. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  11. john kelly

john kelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any one got an idea why it wont play all the discs, i have got some dvd-r that the player will play then i have some other dvd-r films that it wont, same discs recorded on nero.

so any idea why it wont play them all or is it a pioneer problem

12. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Try making with something other than nero-sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. But as it's the most likely culprit you must elimate it first anyway.

If they still don't work, make sure you aren't using labels. Finally, if they still don't work find a brand of media that works and stick with it. Some players only play some brands.