1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pioneer 444 dvd

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by tinkerbell, May 10, 2002.

1. tinkerbell

tinkerbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

i am thinking of buying the pioneer 444 (multi region) & was going to maybe buy it from techtronics, but after reading some messages on the forum, it has put me off! Can anyone please suggest somewhere else where I can buy it for a good price & from a reputable company (which i thought techtronics were!)
    As i am new to the forum, i would be grateful for any advice.

Many thanks:)

2. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    richer sounds ? £179

3. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try www.avland.co.uk ,better chance than Richer Sounds they never seem to have anything in stock!

4. tinkerbell

tinkerbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

thanks for your advice - i hadn`t heard of avland, which shows how much i know. They are also £20 cheaper than techtronics (avland are charging £179.99). I see that you have the pioneer 444 - we have 2 older pioneer models & have never had any trouble really - so i would prefer to stick to pioneer - & it does look beautiful (& had great reviews)

Thanks again :)

5. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my 444 long before it was the current hit it is and I paid £229 for it from Avland!
    I have to admit it was a good choice though it is a cracking little machine.
    Do yourself a favour and dont get it from Techtronics,well some people dont seem to have a problem with them most seem to have something or other go wrong,most of the time it is centred around bad after sales service and not returning emails and phone calls when something goes wrong with a machine.
    Best of luck with your new purchase.

6. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    We've steared a lot of people away from Techtronics now :D
    Aren't we a lovely bunch of people for stearing people in the right direction! :p

7. tinkerbell

tinkerbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would definitely consider avland to buy the 444 - do you have any trouble with their multi region modification (trouble with certain discs or RCE) - the techtronics mod always looked impressive, but have been put off them now. Do you have to manually change regions or is it auto. Am sorry for all these questions, but its best to know these things before buying & the advice given on these forums is great.

Thanks. :)

8. smallman28

smallman28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The mod is transparent in use,that means set it to region1 and it will automatically switch to other regions as needed,RCE is also no problem.
    I set mine to region1 on the day I had it and have never changed it since.
    They give you instructions on how to change the region as well,but like I said set it to region1 and forget it!

9. tinkerbell

tinkerbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply - I`ve just seen the 444 on offer on homecinemaheaven.com for £179.99 + £10 delivery - they say to beware other firms offering multi region mods as they aren`t as good as their one - I`ve heard some good things about them - isn`t it awful what you have to do just to buy a dvd player - but some of the horror stories you hear on these forums, it pays to be cautious.

Many thanks. :)

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I bought mine from Hifi bitz £179.99 delivered with auto MR It has played region 1,3,2 as well as VCD and CD brilliantly. Save £10 and use www.hifibitz.co.uk :D :D:D

11. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Just to mention, what I have mentioned before, but make sure the mod disables macrovision as some don't.

I purchased my 444 from AVland - I have had a couple of minor gripes with the so called 'transaparent' region switching - just don't go into the system menu and try and change things whilst watching a film as it seems to get a bit funny. Now I don't and seems fine.
    Generally a thumbs up for the player and the dealer, not that I have had much dealing with them apart from buying it initially.

12. tinkerbell

tinkerbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

It is difficult trying to decide where to buy from, as there are always bad experiences. Today I rang sevenoaks, who sell the 444 multi region for £199.99, but you get a 2 year warranty & that is quite comforting, if anything were to go wrong - i was also told that techtronics used to do their chipping, but they had a lot of customer complaints, so sevenoaks took them to court! They now have someone who modifies all their machines & have had no problems.

:)

13. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    If you have a barclaycard you get an extra 12 months warranty anyway, just click the top right of your screen and order one you will love it!!!!!!!!!!11:D :D :D ;)

14. imr4n

imr4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm in a dilemma:

which is the better dvd - pioneer 444k or the toshiba 220e ... i'm a bit sceptical of the pioneer because of it's almost identical casing design with the H&B (should i just buy H&B instead, it's much cheaper) and it doesn't have a zoom feature... but the toshiba doesn't come in black colour.. anyway, which one has the edge in terms of picture quality?

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I too noticed the H&B but there is alot more to a DVD than the Case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: The sampling rate on the H & B appears the same, so they might be clones, but then Does the H&B have RGB etc. :confused: :confused: :confused: It depends what is important to you, I posted questions myself about the H&B on this forum weeks ago but got no joy.
    You could find a friendly dealer and say, If you canprove that the 444 is worth the extra I will buy it now! You may need to buy an H&B for the compare, so make sure you can get a refund if it is not as good. Game sell them and do a 10 day no quibble returns policy. If you buy it in a shop on a Barclaycard over the odds, get them to price match Hifibitz who do free delivery and your laughing.
    If only I knew then What I know now.

16. tinkerbell

tinkerbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I did not know about the warranty with Barclaycard - I don`t have one myself, but I know someone who does! Whats the multi region like from hifibitz - any trouble with it? I just don`t want to get a naff chipped machine. I suppose I just want a machine that will play R1, R2 etc & RCE, & if I have trouble, have a good customer service back up - which is what everyone wants.
    I was impressed with hifibitz though, haven`t used them before.

Also, just wanted to say, got Harry Potter today - I am well impressed - I really loved it, but then, I`m just a big kid!

Many thanks. :) :)

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    No probs so far:cool: I havent tried an RCE but have not heard of problems. The mod is a flash upgrade, they don't even open the case, just update the onboard software to make it MR so it is not like a hardware Chip where workmanship is involved, I think charging for this service is a bit harsh, but at about £10 more than the best R2 deal I didnt mind.:D :D :D

18. koolbreeze

koolbreeze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently bought this, but the hack for changing the Country Code does not work. Anythoughts as you have bought one

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Did you buy it as MR or R2 have not heard of a hand set hack for R2 machines personally! thats why I paid for the flash upgrade to the software, well known brands are less willing to support MR than the no-name far eastern manufacturers, also less likley to offer a backdoor. Get in touch with who ever sold it to you.

20. imr4n

imr4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought my 444k with multiregion and macrovision disable from Leading Edge Concepts for 175 quid with free delivery. Good bargain eh? i asked them to price match hifibitz who only sell the silver one not black.

21. r47463

r47463
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Pioneer 343 which I think the 444 is a slimline version of (+mp3?). It is awesome, plays every DVD and SVCD I have flawlessly, any disc media too. I bought it from Techtronics, their customer service is poor and so are their couriers but do I regret buying a Pioneer DVD player? Not at all :)

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Yeah wierd one that i bought a 444k from hifibitz but they seem to have stopped doing back, also foun out that a friend of a friend could do the MR for me for a 4pack! oh well, love the player, it's so thin just like my missus, not!:D :D :D

23. imr4n

imr4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my theory:

I think H&B ripped off the casing design of pioneer 444 because:

1 - If pioneer, an established brand is ripping off a mediocre brand, they'r gonna get sued big time!

2 - the rectangular box on the bottom left hand corner of the 444 is actually used to accommodate some buttons/knobs on the 545.. so i think it's just a way to cut manufacturing cost by using the same design for both 444 and 545.

anyway, since i got the pioneer for 175 and the H&B costs about 145.. i'd rather spend a lil bit more for an established brand.
    :D :D

24. mikey

mikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine from Hifibitz on Friday but it has no feet at the back, is this right? It has the big round feet at the front but just metal at the back and the unit slopes backwards. Currently propped up on lolly sticks (really!) whilst I contact Hifibitz.

I ordered it by phone Monday, it was in stock - I asked. The e mail confimation said it was on order! Phoned again to find the the one I had ordered had been taken by another customer whilst my order was being processed, apparently lots of customers have this experience I was told when I phoned back!

Update: Phoned Hifibitz who put me through to the service engineer without any holding. The engineer confirmed that feet should be fitted and is sending a new unit out for exchange at my office tommorow. Can't fault that!

25. dazzling

dazzling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pioneer DV444 is £179.99 at www.dvdplayers.co.uk although my friend has a H&B DVD5415S from the same place and I have to say it is an impressive player for £129.99

If brand name is your thing then the DV444 for sure but if you are looking for a good spec machine on a tighter budget i can sure vouch for the H&B.

26. imr4n

imr4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    U can get the pioneer 444 from www.leconcepts.com for 175 pounds inclusive delivery.. just email them and ask them to pricebeat hifibitz or other online site. - multiregion/RCE compatible/macrovision disabled.

Can the H&B play mp3 and dvd-r disc? i doubt it

27. dazzling

dazzling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The H&B DVD5415S can play MP3 with a neat navigator (including in folders). It plays all DVDR and DVDRW discs my friend has borrowed from me. In fact we tested 76 albums on 12 cheap DVDRW.