1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 43mxe1 viewing problems

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by pagey, Dec 9, 2004.

1. pagey

pagey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I finally decided to set my 43mxe1 up last night having recieved my js rgb to plasma vga convertor. Before doing this, (much research had been done on this forum so i knew which direction to go in (being a complete novice)).

However to my suprise once it was all connected and the sky box had been changed to output rgb siginal the plasma screen just displays the following warning message "CAUTION OUT OF RANGE".

I therefore looked this up in the operation manual and the remedy stated "the current input siginal is not supported by the unit".

Has any other mxe1 owner had this problem and can i over come it?

Please please help! :lease:

Pagey

2. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    When it says out of range, if you push the Display button on the remote, what does it show on the screen (in the blue box)?

What FRC mode do you have the display in? (mode 1 / mode 2 etc)?

3. pagey

pagey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it says "ERROR INVALID KEY ENTRY"

I have tried both modes 1 and 2 but still the same message.

4. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Do you have a PDA board installed ?

5. pagey

pagey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No i have not.

The thing is i can play perfect picture quality dvd's through the output vga on my laptop.

6. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    That may be the reason. Only certain refresh rates and resolutions are available when you are missing the PDA board. Once you have a PDA board, the whole spectrum is opened up to you.

Somebody more knowledgeable than I will hopefully post on this thread shortly - ideally Joe!

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,781
    The reason it plays out of your laptop is because the signal coming out of your laptop is much higher resolution. Not all VGA input sockets (bad name frankly) will accept a 15kHz 480i/576i signal. All Johns box does is strip and create the correct vertical and horizontal timings for an RGBHV signal instead of the RGB composite signal coming out of a Skybox etc.

Look down the spec of supported signals for the VGA input on the plasma. Is 720X576i @50Hz supported?

Gordon

8. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    IIRc without a PDA board the VGA only accepts a PC signal.

I would strongly recommend you obtain a board asap. Without it you have a large PC monitor - with it you can hook up all sorts of kit. The 5003 has BCA connections for component, the 5004 has RCA, and either also give you composite and s-video inputs. Your VGa input will then also accept a signal from your converter, ie 625i PAL at 50Hz.

Sorry to have to recommend more expense - most dealers only supply the MXE1s with a board already fitted. Joe Fernand or AV-Sales are good places to go.

9. pagey

pagey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This sounds costly.

Could you please explain in easy to understand terms of how and what i need to do to get sky working. Have i wasted my money purchasing the JS RGB to VGA converter.

What i can not work out is i have been researching this forum and have copied similar set ups to other members

Thank-you to the posts so far. :thumbsup:

Kind regards

10. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    As I sort of suggested most of us who have bought MXE1s did so from dealers who only supply them with a board fitted. There are some dealers who advertise this display at discount prices and fail to point out, or hide the info away, that you have to buy the board separately. Some of them list the 43MXE1 as a plasma TV which is very misleading. It is not a TV, it is a display.

You can operate the MXE1 very well without a board if you plan to hook it up to a HTPC and use either the VGA or DVI connection. But if you want to watch Sky or a Freeview box, and/or a DVD player or the like without a PC in the set up then you must have the video board - first to take the connections such as component or s-video, and second so that the plasma will accept the signal from a JS Tech converter into the VGA socket.

Your display has just inputs 1 and 2 - VGA and DVI. With a 5003 or 5004 board you have also inputs 3, 4, and 5 which are s-video, composite and component resepctively.

So buy and fit the board - its quite easy; then your Sky-JS Tech converter - VGA input will work beautifully. So no you haven't wasted your money, just need to spend some more :rolleyes:

I realise this must all be very frustrating but be reassured that you have bought the best all round plasma currently available.

I don't know how much you will pay for a 5004/5004 board. A quick call to av-sales or Joe Fernand will do it.

11. vileda

vileda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ebuyer have stocks of the boards, I wouldn't buy the screen from them (3rd party carriers etc) but can't see why the board would be a problem. Have a ring round for prices though.

the bnc one is here

12. pagey

pagey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Big big thanks philipb :smashin:

Kind regards

Pagey

13. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,472
    Hello all

pagey - philipb has it spot on. The HD15 (VGA) socket only becomes compatible with Video signals if the PDA-5003 or PDA-5004 cards are installed.

SRP on the cards is £235.00.

Best regards

Joe

14. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Does the same hold true for the DVI input ?

As I have the 5003 board installed but the DVI input does not accept standard video signals, 576p or 720p, from either the Lumagen or my 3910 regardless of the FRC mode setting.

It seems to only like PC signals even though the list of supported resolutions indicates support for both 576p and 720p...it shows two entries for both, one analogue and one digital.

All I get is the out of range message.

I'm just experimenting BTW as it all works fine with the Lumagen outputting it's native resolution with FRC mode 2...just playing that's all.

Cheers, Lee

15. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    That's because the DVI input isn't HDCP compatible Lee!!! :rotfl:

16. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    HDCP is not an issue :devil:

Cheers, Lee

17. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    So - HDCP out of a 3910 is not an issue - what are you up to? :confused:

18. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    What I was meaning was that Sky+ into the Lumagen via SDI and then out of the Lumagen via DVI at 720p would not involve HDCP.

The 3910s DVI/HDMI output is HDCP encrypted but thats still not the error that the screen is complaining about...it's simply says out of range meaning that its not accepting a standard 720p video signal at 37.5 KHz H-Freq and 50Hz V-Freq despite the timing table explicitly listing timings for both analog and digital 720p with the only difference being the Back Porch setting.

Cheers, Lee