1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 436XDE

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by tscotsman, Sep 17, 2005.

1. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Anyone got one yet, seriously considering cancelling my order for a PV500, whats the concensus on the TV? I know its gonna be good, but is it much better than the Panasonic? Big decisions, very tempting that Comet have it online price of £2498 with speakers and stand, pity its only a years guarentee.

2. Hubba

Hubba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm a new member, I'm intrigued about :confused: Comets price. I noticed from a previous post that some one had got 436xde-ta (stand & speakers) but also 3 year warranty. Rang "Comet online" , guy said no only 12 months warranty!.
    I'd love to know how he got 3 years warranty included, is there a discount code or something.

Hubba

3. Zebadee69

Zebadee69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've just taken a look at the comet website, I would double check exactly what you're getting before you buy.

The site lists:

HD Ready - No
    Tuner box included - No
    Reception - Analogue
    RGB scart sockets - No
    HDMI connection - No

And many more, although we know what the 436XDE has and hasn't got I'd still make sure before ordering that things like the speakers and stand are definitely included.

4. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    did actually phone them and they did confirm that speakers and stand are included.

5. The_Fitter

The_Fitter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. daveeeeeed

daveeeeeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep - I bought a Yamaha Digital Sound Projector from them a couple of months back and was pleased with their service.

Dave

7. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    how did you find the yamaha projector, any good?? good surround??

8. daveeeeeed

daveeeeeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The surround on the YSP-1 is excellent given the obvious limitations of its size and remit. Some reviews have suggested getting a subwoofer but I think the bass is fine - it coped with the 'Top Gun aerial combat scene test' pretty well :thumbsup:

9. cmcdonnell

cmcdonnell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Got a PDP-436 delivered yesterday. I had initially bought a PDP-435 after weeks of deliberations between it and the PV500. I had seen the 2 side by side in a store on Tottenham Court Road and felt the PDP-435 was a little better. The main complaints seemed to be about the quality of SKY but to me it loooked great. After I bought it (from Sevenoakes) and set it up I was initally very impressed, however a few evenings of viewing material with alot of night scenes I was very disapointed, the black levels were terrible, either everything was grey or I could not see any detail at all. I had read that this was the PSP-435 main problem but did not expect it to bother me so much. The next day I read Home Cinema which had a feature on the PDP-436 and I knew I'd made a mistake in buying the PDP-435. The main difference being the 3000:1 contrast verses the 1200:1 on the PDP-435. I called Sevenoakes to see if I could arange a swap for the PDP-436 as I'd only had it 2 weeks and had all the packaging (luckily), they agreed and I got my name down for the PDP-436 that arrived yesterday.

Overall, it was a hard call for me between the PDP-435 and the PV500 and if they were the only two options I'd still go for the PDP-435. The PDP-436 addresses all the problems I had felt the PDP-435 had. My impressions so far is that it is brilliant and all I could want. Absolutly no contest between it and the PV500. However, I am sure the next Panasonic will be at least as good if not better in some aspects....that's pretty much always the way though isn't it?

Chris

10. whizzwheels

whizzwheels
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad to hear you are pleased with the 436 picture and design as I ordered one today. Get it next Saturday. :thumbsup:

Feedback on the Pioneer 436 is virtually non-existent. It's so new, there are no reviews of any kind, so I had to choose it on the basis of what I read on here. If all else fails, I decided I liked the overall appearance of the Pioneer's better than the Panasonic's. I have seen the PV500 playing a Lord of the Rings DVD and I was very impressed, so that was my benchmark for picture quality. Hope the 436 is as good! :cool:

I did read that What Hifi? have a first test in their November issue due out on 29 September. Think that might be the first review,, but hope to read others on here first!

11. mremulator

mremulator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hi,
    I have had my PDP-436XDE for about a week now. Overall, I'm very happy with it. However, I have noticed a few things...

1) You can select either "75Hz" or "100Hz" under "Drive Control" in "Options" even for HDMI? Why not just 100Hz by default for all sources? According to Pioneer, 100Hz is better for interlaced and 75Hz for prog scan.

2) Whilst watching Sky (RGB via scart) I have noticed some ghosting on fast scenes and when using the search and scan banner. No problems with prog scan though (DVD via HDMI & XBOX via component)

3) The screen is VERY susceptible to image lag/burn - even after a minute or so. I could see my ARCAM logo after exiting the menu on my DVD player after less than a minute or so. This does go away after an hour or so of watching a moving image.

Other than that it's great, good blacks, thinner bezel etc. Could benefit from more than one component in though.

12. whizzwheels

whizzwheels
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Appreciate your comments mremulator. :thumbsup: There is another thread at AVS Forum in the USA for owners of the new 6th gen Pioneers.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=582071&page=1&pp=30

No one seems to have the 43 inch 436 equivalent (=4360), just one initial review of the 506 (=5061). The owner of that seems very impressed, I assume the 43" will have essentially the same PQ?

13. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I am getting one of these next week, but need to know the following, how do you find freeview pics on it? also what is football like on it? and how is a console on it, xbox etc?

i have seen dvd's on a 435 and i know the pios shine with them. so if can answer those questions positivly then i will take the plunge.

14. mremulator

mremulator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    XBOX - via official MS HD AV Pack = OMG! - amazing! All games running @ 525p minimum, several games @ 720p which look like moving pictures. XBOX needs to be NTSC or chipped to output NTSC. In addition, 420p, 720p & 1080i need to be enabled in the MS dashboard.

Freeview = Better than I expected, however, the screen over-exagerates the imperfections in the signal/compression. Basically you notice more artifacts than when viewing raw digital sources/prog scan (DVD for example).

Sky - via RGB scart = As above, but slightly better.

DVD - prog scan via HDMI = Superb, can't fault it really. Good blacks, colour, contrast & brightness. Images are razor sharp.

IMHO, HDTV when available in the UK, will look simply amazing on this screen. Other than minor artifacts and image lag, I can't fault my PSP-436XDE. :thumbsup:

15. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    could you post some screenshots of the 436?? BTW where did you get yours from?? Anyone had theirs from Comet yet??

16. yellowpostit

yellowpostit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got one on order, and I asked why some people seem to have theirs from other retailers and I don't. They replied:

"The stock that is being delivered to customers is dealers' display
    stock and the Companies that are supplying these are contravening a legal
    agreement they have with Pioneer which will affect them from supplying this
    product in future."

17. Serkie

Serkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Looks like this is the display for me. Our lounge decorating is on hold until these become more readily available.

18. mremulator

mremulator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I'll take a couple of pics tonight. I'll do an XBOX game running @ 720p and a PAL DVD running @ 625p :cool:

19. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    cheers m8 look forward to seeing it

20. Serkie

Serkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Superb, look forward to seeing these.

21. Ruby

Ruby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    mremulator,

I've almost convinced myself to get a 506XDE. However, a forum member stated that the blacks during dark scenes (when his rooms lights were also switched off) weren't very good. This has thrown my decision into a little bit of doubt.

In your opinion, do the blacks still look good even when most of the picture is dark and your room's lights are switched off?

22. mickg007

mickg007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Found this link in a different forum, for the life of me I can find it again to ask the person who bought from it, what they are like

http://www.audiovision-shop.de

Pioneer 436XDE for 3389 Euro (£2285 approx) - an absolute bargain, as it will be at least 4500 to 5000 Euro here in Ireland

Has anyone bought from here ? I am just a bit on the nervous side as you need to wire the money over :(

23. whizzwheels

whizzwheels
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't want this to sound like an advert but the real price is:
    3399 Euro.... Plus 199 Euro for swivel stand, plus 249 Euro for the side speakers - all included in Comet Online deal... = 3850 Euro approx. (Not sure about £ equivalent). :thumbsdow

24. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Converted it becomes £2595 so the comet deal is a good deal, no question. Its just the 1 year warranty that puts me off.

25. mickg007

mickg007
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There is no company in the UK that will deliver to Ireland - so comet are out. Like I said, it would cost over 4.5K here in Ireland. All I wanted to know is the website/company safe to buy from ??

26. mremulator

mremulator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I watched Gone in 60 Seconds the other night... AND WAS SO IMPRESSED!! Blacks on a par with CRT and the colour was amazing and I mean A-MAZING. You should see the shine on the cars paintwork and the detail like the beads of water on the cars and the street lights etc.

Anyway, some pics for you guys :cool: (Look at the blacks on IROBOT - no flash & dark room)

Attached Files:

27. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    looks good. it appears that the pioneer and the panasonic are much the same in terms of PQ. Just a question of wether Im willing to go with comet and their 1 year warranty.

If Panasonic dont hurry up and get stock into the UK, I might very well go for a 436XDE.

On a different point I notice that the PV500 is in short supply in the USA also. Does anyone know is Panasonic up to something? I mean are they making changes to the line or something?? It just seems unbelievable that they would not have regular stocks coming in.

I know that some of you guys are also in the same boat with the panel only phd8.

Anyone any ideas?

28. kev777

kev777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got to agree with that, the blacks on my 506 are on par with a CRT, I actually thought the same thing myself after seeing all the critisims on pio black levels

29. birdseed

birdseed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Mremulator,
    What are your thoughts on sky through the 436?, i saw the pv500 at the weekend with sky and wasnt overly impressed, whats the 436 like?

30. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    looking damn good mremulator, could you post 2 more piccies up for me? one showing freeview (an actual image, and the worst channel you can find) and another of xbox actually playing a game, as i said i will be ordering mine up next monday come payday so please post them, thank mate !