Pioneer 436XDE "Sept build"

marklintonarnol

Established Member
Reaction score
I seem to have a problem with my screen (436XDE) it suffers really bad with image retention after just 15 min of watching a channel with a vibrant logo like Ceebies or sports saturday it is most evident when you go into your Sky+ planner and see the logo.
After 15 mins of watching it can take 4-5hrs to remove.
Mine is a Sept build and it is on min of 8hrs a day and has been run in using contrast set below 20 and brightness on 0.
I have contacted Pioneer and they said they would send one of there engineers out (Sontek) and am still waiting for a phone call to arrange a time to visit to hopefully do a firmware upgrade that i have heard of from this forum.
I will let you know how i get on. Many Thanks.

marklintonarnol said:
I seem to have a problem with my screen (436XDE) it suffers really bad with image retention after just 15 min of watching a channel with a vibrant logo like Ceebies or sports saturday it is most evident when you go into your Sky+ planner and see the logo.
After 15 mins of watching it can take 4-5hrs to remove.
Mine is a Sept build and it is on min of 8hrs a day and has been run in using contrast set below 20 and brightness on 0.
I have contacted Pioneer and they said they would send one of there engineers out (Sontek) and am still waiting for a phone call to arrange a time to visit to hopefully do a firmware upgrade that i have heard of from this forum.
I will let you know how i get on. Many Thanks.
How long have you had the screen ?

marklintonarnol - I have a February 2006 build and no problems with image retention at all. Your problem may be that the default settings for contrast and colour (40,0) which are way too high for normal viewing.

For my various inputs, contrast is 25 to 15 and colour (for full saturation) -15 to -17. The best way to try these is to set each input to 'User' profile where the settings are remembered individually. Brightness also requires adjustment and mine requires 0 to +3 over the inputs.

Hope this may help.

It appears to me from reading these forums for the last year that the newer Pioneers don't suffer from retention.
It seems to be the ones bought around October/Novermber last year that are causing all the trouble.

Just an observation.

Andrew

A few of the old ones apparently had too high voltage to the screen and that caused the fast retention, pioneer recalled alot of mediaboxes and lowered the voltage around january february, so retention will be less likely to happen.

Got this information from a retaildealer here in Sweden(one that seems to know what he is talking about).

My 436xde can have a slight retention from me playing xbox around 3-4 hours but it's gone after a few min of usual use, I have just reached 300 hours of runin with lowered contrast(25), colour(-15), brighness(0) and powersave2.

Mine must be around November build and strangely enough I noticed no retention for the first few months, screen set to 'Cinema' mode. More recently I have been extra cautions and set the screen to 'GAME' mode.

Weirdly I am seeing retention if channel's are left on for a long time or with things like the header for the football of standard channel logo's.

These are only ever apparent against white backgrounds but still pretty annoying

Mines a november build.....for tv and dvd have contrast at +37 and brightness +1 and have now got over 600 hours on the panel with no retention. I have a 360 conected over component and always use game mode to avoid 'health bar' retention. Hope this helps.

I bought mine in November, so guess it's a Septemper or November build. Image retention seems worse now - e.g. i.e. still have the score banner from Tuesday's Chelsea game! All settings are very low. The fan on my media box now also runs incredibly noisey. My screen also buzzes loudly (has done from day one).
Getting pretty peeved off to be honest. Time to call my retailer.
I hear there's an upgrade, though it seems dealers are keeping it quiet. Not sure if it's a firmware or software upgrade. Anybody had it done?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom