Pioneer 436XDE -- help with settings please

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by yserov, Mar 14, 2006.

1. yserov

yserov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All,

I just bought a Pioneer 436XDE. The picture is brilliant, as expected -- when seen through the DVD. The TV broadcast, however, is quite poor, blurry at the edges and nowhere as bright. For now I have it running through the Telewest cable box connected with a random SCART cable, probably old and cheap, since I found it lying around somewhere in the house. Will get a better connection in a couple of weeks.

Is the connection the likeliest reason for the bad pictures? Or is there something in the settings that I might want to change? I read in reviews that the progressive scan settings for XDE are difficult to sort through. Please give me some tips as to what I can change, since the manual is not helpful.

THANKS!!!

2. jackal

jackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi these are my settings for use with SKY t.v.

Picture Mode User
    Contrast 35
    Purecinema standard
    Dynamic Contrast Low
    IP Mode 1
    MPEG DNR med.
    DNR off.
    CTI On
    ACL On
    Gamma 1

These work to my eyes, but this is always subjective.

Does your STB have RGB out? If so use this (make sure your scart can handle RGB) and in options set input to RGB.

To be honest PQ is totally dependent on transmission quality and will punish low quality fare.

3. yserov

yserov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So, I reckon, the problem is due to the connection, since I don't think that either my STB or the cable (or both) are RGB enabled.

Anyway, does anyone have any more useful tips for the screen settings (for after I get the connection sorted)?

Many thanks.

4. Bumtious

Bumtious
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,650
    Again picture is subjective however this set has a lot of tweaks that can be adjusted, and for each input. All tvs out of their boxes are set up pretty poorly. The holy grail of colour balance is to try to achive a colour temp of 6500.This gives a warm red feel to the picture which is actually more realistic and closer to cinema calibration. Out of the box tv's are generally set to around 9500 giving a blue picture to stand out in a shop. most tvs cant do this the Pioneer can, I have a 506 xde which is completely different to a 436 however try these settings.
    Set to USER MODE
    Contrast between 30-34
    Brightness 0-+2
    Colour -14-16
    Tint 0
    Sharpness (suit yourself)
    PRO ADJUST MENU
    Pure cinema off
    COLOUR DETAIL MENU
    Temp Low
    CTi On
    NR MENU
    Dnr Mid
    Mpeg NR Low
    DRE MENU
    Dynamic Contrast Mid
    Black Level On
    ACL Off
    Gamma 1
    OTHERS MENU
    I-P Mode 1

The other thing to set is go to the main Menu and enter Options Menu
    Set the Drive to 100HZ

You need to set each input like this basic colour settings within the first picture menu may vary between source so bear that in mind.

LIKE ANY plasma though keep the contrast down for around 200 hours to run the set in (20) you will see a benefit from this and YOU WILL NOT get SCREEN BURN OR IMAGE RETENTION WITH THESE SETTINGS. The only reason people get any retention is they don't set their tvs correctly an these Pioneers are capable of going much brighter than any other Plasma on the market ( the Panasonics dynamic range is clipped).
    Hope this helps.

Regards S

5. ChildOfRarn

ChildOfRarn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    yserov,

With your Telewest STB go to
    Settings & Services --> Display & Audio --> Set TV Output Colour Format <RGB>

As stated previously, you need to set the screen input to RGB and have an RGB enabled SCART lead.

Trevor

6. yserov

yserov

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys for useful advice, this helped. I have a general question - is there a place to learn more about all these features? I mean, more than what's in the manual, like, for example, when it says, if you want to change the gamma setting choose 1, 2 or 3. Well, I have no idea which one means what. Is there a web site or even a book where I could learn these things?

Oh, by the way, how do I check that my colour temp is 6500?

Y

7. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    You can't check the colour temperature without measuring gear. Follow the link in my signature below for a full explanation.