1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pioneer 436 xde *viewing experience

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by usman24, Sep 22, 2005.

1. usman24

usman24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I just visited comet to view the Pioneer 436 xde in B'ham. The pioneer 435 xde was placed next to it. The black level to me looked almost identical to the old model. Despite the black being the same the picture on the 436 xde had much cleaner processing [it may have been a freeview feed, not sure] not much blocking evident. nice bright colours but strange greenish greys and fairly dull whites even when I turned up the contrast above 50% mark.

Did not notice hardly any false contouring/banding on the pioneer but very slight banding was seen on the Panasonic 42pe50 and pv500.

The panasonic 42pe50 I saw had deeper blacks, whiter whites and natural colours but picture was quite a bit noisier [probably crap feed].

I think I need to test these screens with some dvds next time I get a chance. I would definitely go for the panasonic on white and black level but whats in between is also important. not sure what to buy!

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hmm, just finished installing a 506, and I was hard pressed to see anyhting new about the picture. The worst bit for me was the constant slight judder. I find it difficult to get past that.

3. oliverlim

oliverlim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    MAW,

Have you been able to check and confirm if the 6G pio models can accept native rate? Or do we hvae to wait for the commercial models?

Thanks
    Oliver

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I have checked, they do not accept native on HDMI. They never will, Pioneer do not see a need for this feature.

5. rpb

rpb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw a Pioneer 436, an Hitachi and an LG in Comet and the Pioneer didn't seem noticeably better than the others.

I hope this was just down to the settings.

I am about to place an order and I am having second thoughts about the extra cost of the Pioneer for little, if any improvement, in picture quality.

6. birdseed

birdseed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    When i saw the 435 next to the pv500 in comet in crawley, i definately thought the pv500 was the better of the two.
    The following week when the 436 replaced it, the 436 was definately better.
    Having listened to the above comments, i wonder if they did anything to the pv500 to make the 436 appear better.

Im sure its not beyond comet to exagerate the difference of the more expensive model!

7. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    sorry to ask a n00b point - but what is the point of this? (guessing: so you can display your pc graphics card res?)

I saw the 506 XDE today - i'll elaborate on that once someone answers the above :)

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi Kamaran, yes, for PC users, but also for external scalers. With a panel only plasma you normally run a scaler at panel native.

9. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Maybe, but more likely it is just that the displays are poorly setup meaning there is huge variation between what they are capable of and what you see in the store.

10. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    I don't think you can judge a plasma in any store, the things that will annoy you at home you just won't notice in a shop.

When I spoke to Pioneer about the 5th gen TV range the guy said native refresh was 56.25hz which I beleive everything is converted back to, I was really hoping the new screens would not have this FRC crap going on. It is the first thing I look for with a new screen as I can't stand it, to say I am gutted is an understatement.
    What I can't work out is the fact there is a setting for 75hz or 100hz with pal, what is that about?

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The setting, no idea mate, made no difference! Any why isn't it either automatic or default on european models. Not thrilled by today's install, well, that one anyway. We installed a Netstreams Musica multi room system too, just down the road from that one. That was excellent. Sounded nice, easy and fun to do, client excited. 2 x 25 w. units, 2 x 50w. All done with architectural speakers, looked marvellous too. We christened it with some Beatles, as one of them used to live there!

12. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    Really!? That's superb. :)

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    House full of memorabilia, they are serious fans. They have the round windows from the yellow submarine waiting to be installed in the pool house, not yet built. One of our finest installs, they have the works.

14. Pagnobito

Pagnobito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have been out and auditioned the 436 and 506 today, and they look ok to me, for a plasma anyway taking into account the weaknesses of this type of display I thought it was pretty good and an improvment over the 435, but I think anyone buying it should buy it as a TV and not a display for scaling indirectly as it does its own, which you cant switch off.
    I think it will be ok for my setup, for a larger screen over the 32CRT I have, the freeview TV picture looked pretty good, and the DVD feed through HDMI Arcam Diva79 looked pretty amazing.

I am probably going to go for the 43" Pio, an Arcam Diva79, Arcam AV250, and some PMC speakers. GB1's for the front and DB1's for the rear DB1-HC for the centre. They sounded marginally better than the Kef Q series and lots better compared to the B&W and Tannoy arena. Oh and a REL Stampede to finish it off.

15. deltatango301

deltatango301
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pioneer Pioneer go for it i got mine on Wedsneday (PDP435FDETE) and it looked
    twice as good at home its a magic plasma cannot fault it Buy Buy

Terry

16. oliverlim

oliverlim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thats why i am still using the 43MXE1 which is the 4G commercial model which accept Native Resolution at 50hz for PAL which is upconverted to 100HZ and NAtive Resolution at 60hz for NTSC. Sames goes for the 50MXE1. Sigh. Smooth as silk with the Lumagen HDP but blacks is a problem.

Sigh. Looks like the perfect plasma is still some days away.....

Oliver

17. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    Only feature I want are native resolution and refresh on hdmi.

I have everything else, and I am not worried about 720p and 1080i/50/60 I would prefer native.

18. rpb

rpb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had thought that only BluRay or HD DVD could supply Hi Def material

However, some shops appear to have HD on DVD for display purposes.

Is this running off a normal DVD player, in which case presumably you can only fit half an hour or so on a normal DVD disk?

19. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    Hi-Def has been about for years, Hi-Vision laserdiscs were around 15 years ago, they are 1080i, D-theater has been around for a couple of years, and just about all the BBC stuff is shot in HD now for other TV markets.

The stuff running in shops is streamed of a hard drive based system or from Euro satellite feeds.

20. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I auditioned the 506 yesterday at Sevenoaks.

This was the first time I have auditioned a plasma, as previously we have only ever owned CRT and LCD TV's, therefore please go easy on my views!

First thing to make clear is I am interested in a 436 not a 506 but wanted to see what I could locally. As I entered the store - sure enough there was a DVD playing which looked of course very nice (bright colours, good clarity etc).

I asked if I could see the screen with Sky running on it and was shown BBC1. Now the picture quality looked good, but not great as I was only about 7 feet away from the screen. In my eyes, the colours were fantastic but the big issue for me was image noise (pixelation as I call it) around people/objects. This was especially noticeable as things started moving to the extent it would annoy me.

I was then shown the same picture via freeview and believe it or not the signal was much stronger and the noise was all gone! This bought a smile to my face until the objects started moving and surely enough the noise returned. I am not sure if this is to do with my viewing distance/poor feeds or screen setup (although I am pretty certain its not the screen setup).

I then asked to see a DVD, for reference I took 2 DVD's of varying quality with me:

1) The Grinch (relatively old DVD - not a great transfer)

2) The matrix Revolutions (to see the 'blacks')

The Grinch although was quite noisy but this didnt get worse with movement on the screen, given the quality of the DVD I think the picture on the screen presented a fair image.

The matrix again did have a little bit of noise but overall was VERY impressive. In terms of black's (go easy on me guys) - well it was black! I was given a sales pitch on how black's work and why Panasonic's may show darker blacks, but this results in poor detail on black surfaces. I'm pretty impartial to 'sales talk' but did agree with this. The nearby PV500 looked too dark for me - it was like watching a film with your eyes partially closed with and in comparison the Pioneer was much more eye catching.

Next was Monsters Inc - I wont say anything apart from very very nice (almost flawless).

Finally I was shown a high Def demo of a feed coming in from Satellite. Now this made everyone in the store come over and stare. It was pictures of wildlife which were so stunning you felt like you were in a trance! They were so lifelike they appeared almost 3D...

So in a nutshell, thats my first review.

My concern is the level of noise I witnessed - I need to get a second opinion (from the wife) to see if im worrying unnecessarily or whether it really does justify cancelling the purchase. I also noticed the very high gloss of the screen makes it suceptible to reflections - although this wouldn't be a concern for me due to my screen placement.

Will I go for the screen? I need to see a 43" in action before I take the plunge and also need to see what the footy looks like. No point in spending £££ if its not going to be right for the World Cup eh ;)

21. Pagnobito

Pagnobito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I checked out the 506 and 436 yesterday and the compression pixelation around moving objects is less noticeable on the 43"
    TV signal does not have enough info in the first place so making it look nice on a 43" screen (most agree 32" is the max) is down to processing, and this will vary between manufacturers. You can't improve an image if the detail is not there in the first place, you can maybe process it better, and to me the 436 is a lot better than the 435 at doing this.
    The only thing I saw the panel suffering from was jitter on some fast moving images, strangely not the entire image, but if something was moving fast across a static backdrop, as demonstrated with a Indy car in a Paul Newman film, can't recall the name.
    I think I can live with that as it doesn't happen much, and I will be placing my order soon.