Pioneer 436 v 435

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by pioneerfde, Nov 8, 2005.

1. pioneerfde

pioneerfde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A quick post to help buyers decide, this is my opinion having both.

The 435 excellent sound, plenty of bass from integral speakers.

Picture quality superb but lacks slightly in the black areas.

Very robust e.g. heavy rotatable stand.

Generally a fanatastic tv.

The 436 not so good in my opinion, plastic non rotatable stand, the speakers are not as good a quality lacks in bass due to no bass tunnel (easily updated with an extra sub woofer).

Somehow the picture quality does not come up to the 435 seems more compressed dont know if they are using different mpeg chips or something, but it doesnt have the defined detail of the 435 although the black is far better.

AUTO SIZE WSS does not work correctly when switched off, it still automatically switches. (EXPLAINED IN MY PREVIOUS POST).

If I had the choice of the 2, the 435 appears to be a better machine all around (although the blacks could be better).

No doubt other people may have a different opinion but I am just wanting to help other buyers before they spend their money, of a few bugs I have came across in the new 436 model.

Be warned of these before buying.

Good luck.

2. orange66

orange66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is why these forums are so valuable. The 436, is that the 'plasma of the year' in what hifi?

3. rio_cs

rio_cs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looked at the 435 and 436, for me I prefer the series 6 over the series 5. :clap:

4. Blade10

Blade10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Absloutely no doubt. The 436 is far better!
    Might as well close this thread. It is not to be argued.

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,062
    Haha!

Why?

The guy has both and is only giving an opinion mate. :smashin:

6. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    :rolleyes:
    'plastic non rotatable stand' ? what are you talking about? i have an extremely heavy rotatable metal stand with my 436, you get a choice as with the old one. please do a bit of research before posting !

also i have seen both 435 and 436 in action, both are very good plasmas, but in my opinion the 436 is slightly better (hence the reason pioneer released it as a new model). the differences are only very minor (black level and extra hdmi port , even tho i thought the blacks on the 435 were fine to be honest).

now enjoy your 435 as i will enjoy my 436 and no doubt next year when new buyers enjoy the 437 i will still be enjoying my 436, you dont need to but other tv's down so you can enjoy your purchase :rolleyes:

7. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I think you missed the point,this lucky :censored: has both!!

8. reddragon

reddragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could anyone tell me if i can use the Pioneer PDK-TS05 plasma stand with the 436XDE/FDE?

Thanks

9. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I have today used the PDK-TS04 stand with a 436 XDE and it fits. You'll be fine.

10. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    You can get 2 different stands : a crap and and a good one. You pays your money ...

11. marcm09@hotmail

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are so correct the 435 has better PQ and detail than the 436. I live in New Zealand and I am the local rep for pioneer in the south island. I have had shops calling me stating that the customers whom have upgraded to the 436 from the 435 have generally been happy but some have concluded although the contrast is better and shows blacks slightly truer that the image doesnt seem as 'sharp' or 'defined'. Pioneer has changed many of the internals in order to improve on there black ratio which they have know is there weak point compared to there competition ie panasonic, but PQ quality has very 'Slightly' changed because of such. The 436 however is lighter than the 435 and of course has the extra HDMI port. (which on the quiet pioneer admits is only usefull if you use a ultra high end dvd player) For the adverage jo blogs a better picture can be obtained by using the component 3 input (the most direct path) and a high end of component leads. Pioneer uses WireWorld Stralight RGB leads as a reference.)

So I conclude that the 436 overall is on par with the 435, lets be honest it is very hard to improve on what has to be undoubtly one of the best screens on the market for the price !

weather you have a 435 or 436 dont worry the best money that you can spend is to use the Wireworld Component or HDMI leads, you will be amazed. Wireworld have the best cables in the world, go find some you will be impressed.

Go the mighty pioneer plasma, its unbeatable, panasonic owners could only dream of having a panel which is truely high end with no inbuilt speakers found on some of the lower end plasmas and no panel reflections that the now older panasonic PV500 has !!!! :)

12. orange66

orange66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, I have to say, I dont find the so called 'new found black' on THIS one very impressive, if thats the best Pioneer can come up with, I will stick with panny,

click the photo link

13. pioneerfde

pioneerfde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, all again,

Thanks for your remarks, I am just trying to help people out here.

I am testing with 2 units stood side by side same inputs.

I have studied the pictures very very closely and there is definitely a better defined sharpness on the 435, but the 436 having a more murkier look - looking like more compression being used. I have tested this with various freeview boxes, topfield 5800, panasonic, pioneer, technomate, and dreambox satellite receivers and the 436 lacks something in quality.

It is hard to put a finger on what it is, unless you have the plasmas side by side like I am trying you wouldn't notice the difference, apart from the contrast and black.

I also tried both Plasmas last night on HD using Euro 1080 and Astra HD and also a couple of WMV trial files and I must say the 436 won here hands down as the clarity of the picture was outstanding and untouchable, the 435 lacking in black, contrast and depth which showed the 436 looking better.

Another thing worth mentioning is on the 435 this leaves an afterglow if left bright in one particular part for a few minutes but the 436 does not have this effect at all, even when left on the screen for a long time I could not see any sign of afterglow which normally causes plasma burn over time. This is a big bonus for the 436, as I was worried about leaving the 435 on Sky News - 5 minutes on this channel and you definitely had afterglow. NOT AT ALL ON THE 436 (Giant Bonus).

Regarding the stand - yes there are loads of accessories which can be upgraded, I was referring to the 435 coming with a rotatable stand as standard but now the new model 436 comes as standard with the fixed stand.

So the end of the day HD is the way forward so 436 for this, but if you are not planning on using HD and are looking for a fantastic quality set which will be going cheap now, then the 435 is the way to go for you. I wish I had the 435 picture quality in the 436, as the 436 looks cosmetically better in my opinion.

I have added these comments onto the forum and are of my opinion and have come about due to my scrutinising/testing 2 sets together.

Hope this has helped everybody reading

14. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Ehh both are HD compatible.

Has the 436 had a few hours on the clock? I found the Pioneer 434 got better with age.