Pioneer 436-sxe upgrade to Panasonic?

Ja50nKay

I currently have a Pioneer 436-sxe Plasma, which I use for XBOX, Media Centre PC and Sky HD.

I think it is about time I got a Full HD set, and will probably make a decision/purchase today!

I have narrowed it down to two options:

Panasonic P42ST30B @ just shy of £500 from Best Buy

Panasonic P42GT30B @ £810 ordered online reserve and collect from Comet, which I could get today!

I am sure either of these sets will be a noticeable upgrade from my ageing Pioneer Plasma, but is the GT really worth the extra cash? I reckon it is, but does buying it from Comet offset that - I am not sure what their customer service is like should I have problems! Looking at Comet because a. They have 10% off on reserve and collect currently, and b. I could get it today before I become sensible and change my mind!

What would you guys do? I think I have settled on these two sets at each price point..

vickster

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't buy from BestBuy if you are in the UK - they are about to close their operation here (I don't expect Comet will be too far behind in stating to downsize)

John Lewis have the 42ST30 for £550 with warranty - some on here have managed a price match against Comet and got free goggles

Buy Panasonic Viera TX-P42ST30 Plasma HD 1080p 3D TV, 42 Inch with Built-in Freeview HD online at JohnLewis.com
Package: PANASONIC TX-P42ST31B

JL also have the GT30, you could ask them to match Comet
Buy Panasonic Viera TX-P42GT30 Plasma HD 1080p 3D TV, 42" with Built-in freesat HD & Freeview HD online at JohnLewis.com

and RS have a rather spiffing deal on it with some extras for £900 Panasonic PATWH172 | 42 inch 3D Plasma TV 1080p HD Ready Freeview HD freesat HD | Richer Sounds (extra warranty will cost more) or they have the TV alone for £830

There are reviews of both models in the review section ^^^

There are numerous tales of woe on here around Comet's CS

Ja50nKay

Thanks Vikster, how did I not see that RS deal?! Suddenly the ST30 is looking like a wretched poor cousin LOL. I think that it has got to be the RS deal on the GT30...Have dealt with RS before, so I know there are no worries with the CS. Now to see if they have it in stock near to me, and if I can fit it in the car :blush:!

Thanks for the help..

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Thanks Vikster, how did I not see that RS deal?! Suddenly the ST30 is looking like a wretched poor cousin LOL. I think that it has got to be the RS deal on the GT30...Have dealt with RS before, so I know there are no worries with the CS. Now to see if they have it in stock near to me, and if I can fit it in the car :blush:!

Thanks for the help..

Good place to buy from or Sound and vision at 949 with BR player, glasses and Panasonic 5year. Got my 46" from these guys and rate them over RS now myself, they know a lot more about their products. I managed to fit my 46" boxed accross the back seat of a Fiat Punto if that helps.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom