Pioneer 436 Lip Sync Problem

B

Buzzman

Hi There

I'm delighted with the picture on my new Pioneer 436XDE but the Lip Sync problems are really awful.

The problem is not always noticeable but is worse with terretrial analogue and freeview broadcasts than Sky. DVD playback is less noticeable.

I spoke with Pioneer who were fircely defensive and blamed it all on broadcasts. If I put a small screen TV next to the 436 and watch the same analogue terretrial channel on both together there is no problem with the small TV but I can see the picture on the 436 appear slightly later than on the small TV. Pioneer are trying to fob me off.

It's definately a picture processing problem where the image appears too late after the sound.

I bought a Felston box from Keenes and that solves the problem by delaying the audion provided I use an AV amp (which I sometimes do). Through the TV's own amp and speakers however, you can't fix the problem this way.

Pioneer told me the problem would go away when my Sky HD box arrives but I don't believe that will resolve the analogue and TV problems. Also, SKY HD's own internal audio delay feature only works with their Optical output so that's back to the AV amp again. I suspect I won't be able to delay the audio directly to the TV's own amp & speakers.

Is this a problem I should have with a £2500 Pioneer state of the art product? Does anyone know of a fix that can be done, perhaps by Pioneer, to tweak the system, by software upgrade, or by setting the setup parameters in a certain way.

I bought the TV from Costco who give a 3 year guarantee but won't take it back if it's not faulty. Pioneer will probably say it's not.

Any help would be gratefully received.

pwilson5

I am having exactly this same problem. Pioneer suggested that it was the screen, which my dealer replaced, but I still have the problem. I managed to record part of a program on my Freeview recorder which was a mile out of sync on the Pioneer. I then played this on my 25 inch Sony CRT TV, and noticed that the lip sync was very slightly out. It seems that if the transmission is out, even by a small amount, the Pioneer exaggerates it ten fold. I am now waiting for Pioneer to send out an engineer to check this out. I'll post when I know anymore.

Irf

Standard Member
I'm not certain, but I think this is a well known and documented problems with many plasmas, not just Pioneers.

We noticed it very quickly when we got ours, and it's different depending upon what source we are watching (TV, DVD, PVR). It's also different from channel to channel on TV.

Irf.

Neo319

Irf said:
I'm not certain, but I think this is a well known and documented problems with many plasmas, not just Pioneers.

We noticed it very quickly when we got ours, and it's different depending upon what source we are watching (TV, DVD, PVR). It's also different from channel to channel on TV.

Irf.
Jep, got the same on my Hitachi. I bet the people who haven't had these problems just didn't notice them (yet)...

But I am curious to know if the problem is getting better with newer types. Like I have a 6600 at the moment. Does the 9700 suffer the same way?

Piers

Lip sync errors are due to:

1. Errors in the transmission (Sky, TeleWest, FreeView etc.)

2. Display devices (notably plasmas which take time to display the picture, and in the meantime the sound comes through loud and clear but ahead of the video).

You will see 1 on a conventional TV but probably not notice it from a normal viewing distance. Get up close and look carefully. See it now? A big screen from a normal viewing distance is the equivalent of getting close to the normal TV. You see the lip sync error.

Both 1 and 2 can be corrected with an amp with global audio delay, a Felston or JS Technology delay unit. With plasma screens I would now never sell without a means of delaying audio. Even if the plasma isn't the culprit, and many are, customers aren't prepared to put up with lip sync errors which is just as likely to be due to a dodgy broadcast signal.

This doesn't help with plasma "telly's" with inbuilt FreeView receivers. Just one of many reasons why I favour the plasma panel solution with external set top boxes for sources.

A fair question might be "why don't Pioneer etc. build audio delay circuitry into their "telly's"? Some do, but it is not variable, and variable audio delay costs.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom