1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 435XDE Image Retention/Burn In Query

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by 1ofaKind, Jan 20, 2005.

1. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All,

Now the 435XDE's have been out a while what have peoples experiences of image retention / burn :eek: been since the 200+ hours initial careful period?

I've done some searches on here and found a couple of stories which scared me but only managed to find 1 or 2 on avsforum.

I'm particularly interested in any users who have used PC's for any period of time and / or games consoles. DVD , Games & PC if possible are my intended usage with some TV (will most likely have a seperate ariel to drive the internal freeview (if I go Pioneer)).

I'm just looking for some more feedback before I make my final choice between Panny or Pioneer - as has been mentioned lots of pro/cons between the 2.

So looking for the lowdown - good or bad! :devil:

Thanks

2. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I find image retention on the 435 to be slightly better than the 434. I've used pro evo soccer on there for about 40 mins a time and have seen no retention. The only thing I have seen is that after using analogue teletext for a few mins the "teletext" logo in the top centre shows up slightly. Stays a lot longer on my mate's 434 though for some reason.

I've had mine since the week before crimbo and have had the settings quite low since then. I would like them a little more contrasty so I will be trying to raise the contrast level shortly.

Pannys are all but indistructible for this sort of thing though apparently.

3. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have had my TH42PE30 since the Thursday before Christmas and have not had any image retention at all. I have all the settings down to about half way and don't let images be static for too long.

The XDE got a good review in this month's What Hifi mag, toppling the Panasonic TH42PE30 off the throne as the best plasma, due to its digital pictures.

4. 435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    had my 435xde for 4 weeks now ive had all levels well down. and i mean well down ,in all i would say ive clocked up 150-200hrs. I have no problems at all with picture quality, but i do with image burn, my kids watch disney channel the one with the big red ears in the corner, the other day it was on for no more than 20 mins turned over what yoy know 2 big ears lurking in the corner! not happy at all, fair enough 15 mins on another channel and its gone, but whats going to happen when i turn contrast etc up, ive had the same problem on sky sports, watch 45mins of football and the score/time logo is burnt there. So all in all I feel the burn is a big problem , even when your as carefull as i am it seems it cant be avoided.

5. Leerock

Leerock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Burn in is a VERY BIG disadvandage.
    I m really really scared.
    I have to continuously check if there is a static image on the screen,
    I have to check all the time what the kids are watching and how many time,
    I must not fell asleep while watching tv coz I may wake up with a burnt image on my 2.5k belongings.:boring:
    Burn in gives me shivers.
    Eventually I should spend some $ more to buy an lcd :boring:

6. ianrush

ianrush

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem..when I have the tele-text on..only for å few minutes..I can see the tele-text for a couple of minutes when I watch other tv channels..

7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    I have a panasonic panel and bought an NEC last week, I have to say that I have never seen image retention and always thought people were fussing over nothing, however, the NEC would leave an image of white text etc. after a couple of minutes. I have been told that this stops after about 200 hours.

8. cashlessbond

cashlessbond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Have you got the Power save on? I find that if I switch this to save I don't suffer image retention.

9. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230

Are the picture settings on your mates 434 comparable with the settings on your 435?

10. 435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi thanks for the advice . i thought my power save was on but i just checked and it was on standard so i switched to save , hope this helps with the burn cheers.

11. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Well, the numbers for contrast/brightness etc are roughly the same but whether that translates to the same levels as the screens/media boxes are different I have no idea.

When I said it stays a lot longer, perhaps I could have worded that better as I don't mean it to sound like it's on there ages, it's not. It probably goes within a minute on mine but more like two on his for a comparable amount of time viewing.

Mind you, I still can't see the difference between all the supposed extra colours that mine can display over the 434 so I may not be the best judge of this :)