1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 435XDE, DVD & SKY Image Quality...HELP

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by kounkit, Apr 9, 2005.

1. kounkit

kounkit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I've recently purchased my parents a 435XDE. However I'm got a few issue with it and i'm hoping someone in this forum here can help me.

DVD Player
    At the moment the my parents have a Toshiba 240e DVD player which when connected to their old CRT TV, produced quite a good image. In the new setup the 204e is connected directly to the XDE box (Input 2) via 3 Cambridge Audio Component leads. Even with CGI Movies e.g. The Incredibles, the image isn't that great. I can see the colour gradients between skin tones which looks quite rough. I messed about with smoothing the picture but it then looks too smooth.

SKY
    The SKY box is an older Amstrad, it only has Scart sockets in the back and is connected direcly into the XDE box. Again on the CRT the SKY Main menu look OK, but on the plasma the fonts look like there are tearing/fuzz. Does anyone know why is happening???

I've read in these forums that it takes about 200hrs before the TV is 100% and the image quality will get better. However until then can anyone recommend some settings for the TV??? I have noticed in the menus there is additional pro setting for each colour can anyone recommend settings for these??? I given it a try but without success.

If anyone can give me some good/honest advice I would really appricate this.

Thanks,

Kit.

2. johnnycab

johnnycab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kit,

If you do a search, there are plenty of people - who have posted their settings. However, it is all down to personal preference, the content you watch, lighting conditions etc. I would advise you to choose something that you are reasonably happy with, for the next 200+ hours. The screen will most DEFINITELY get better after this duration. Also, give some the preset modes a whirl and see what they do for you.

After this period, if you are still not happy, get either Gordon or Piers to do a ISF calibration for you - which seems to be the best option!

3. Tomo1971

Tomo1971
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Here are my settings.

PICTURE MENU
    AV SELECTION STANDARD
    CONTRAST 16
    BRIGHTNESS +8
    COLOUR -4
    TINT 0
    SHARPNESS 0
    PRO ADJUST MENU
    PURE CINEMA STANDARD
    COLOUR TEMP MID-LOW
    MPEG NR LOW
    DNR MID
    CTI OFF
    DRE MID
    NO CHANGES TO COLOUR MGT
    POWER MENU, ENERGY SAVE STANDARD

Try these and see how it looks, I used these as the 200 hour settings and still use them now as it gives me (in my opinion with my eyes) a good picture through telewest cable and a Tosh RDSx32 DVD/HDD.

Is the dvd player setup to send the best image?

Steve

4. kounkit

kounkit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, I've searched the forums and found some settings...thx. I'll give them a go when I next visit them.

Tomo9171: According to my DVD player we are outputting Component but the 435XDE says S-Video!!! Have I missed something??

Kit.

5. Tomo1971

Tomo1971
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I asume when you say the XDE says s-video you mean the info box that pops up in the top left that says what input you have selected along with either "p" or "i" and the input type (s-video, component, video etc), if so.......

in the input selection that you are using for the DVD player open the MENU, look under OPTION and input select, change this to component. When I change mine to S-Video the pic goes into B&W so not sure if this is your problem.

Steve

6. Nodrick

Nodrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure that sky is outputting RGB, (check the setup menus) and that you have plugged the good quality scart(RGB) cable into either input 1 or input 3 on the XDE box. This will significantly improve the image.