1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 435XDE Buzzing

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Fatlab, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Fatlab

Fatlab
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've had my 435 for about 3 weeks now and I am at the point where I cannot put up with the buzzing noise coming from the panel. It varies depending on the general white content of the screen but even by darkening the screen as much as possible I cannot get rid of the noise and several of the image processing options need to be turned off as they make things worse.

Using it with a MediaCentre PC the buzzing noise is so persistent that it I need to take action. I have fitted the ferrite ring supplied with the unit (about 1/2" away from the screen end of the power cable) as suggested in other posts but would appreciate any thoughts on how best to address the problem.

The only fly in the ointment with my usual course of action directly with the dealer is that I don't think they are going to be particularly cooperative. I contacted them after delivery as the unit had been shipped unopened with the HDE remote and not the XDE one. Thier response was that it I had to go direct to the manufacturer and they could not get me off the phone quick enough, I can't imagine they would entertain the thought of replacement panels.

I bought the unit from Total Digital, part of Premier AV Centre in Birmingham if that is any help.

Regards

Dave

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    All plasma screens buzz to a certain extent...but the Pio HDEs and XDEs seem to be noisier than others judging by the amount of posts here about them.

My own MXE-1 has a buzz but once you get some sound going it’s only noticeable during extremely quiet scenes...my old Pannasonic used to buzz so much it drove me mad and I sold it in the end...I also had a Pioneer 433HDE which had a loud buzz which as you say changed pitch/intensity depending on the brightness of the screen - that went back for other reason.

I do think that some people...like myself...are more susceptable to the noise than others as I'm sure you'll get posts from people saying there's is silent but in my experience of my own and other peoples screens they all buzz...too much in some cases.

There is nothing that can be done about though…apart from getting your dealer to swap out the screen and hope that it is quieter than the one you have…but that sounds like it may be difficult.

You could contact Pioneer directly but I guess they may use the line that they all buzz…you’ll have to give up a bit of a fuss really.

Cheers, Lee

3. zedzed

zedzed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I managed to find a very helpful local retailer (who posts on this forum) and he came to my house and gave me his expert opinion on my buzzing PW7. He said it's loud - so now I know it's not just me - so I've contacted my plasma seller. Perhaps you too could find a similar expert/retailer in your area?

ZedZed

4. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Don't bother phoning Pioneer, they'll say its meant to buzz.

I know how annoying this can be, all you can do is inform your retailer and then hope you've gone with a decent one.

I am on my 4th 434 due to buzzing. This one is the best of the bunch but is still audible.

My retailer was very sympathetic and I had the problem verified by an independent engineer every time. (JL BTW)

5. Hawker

Hawker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,

Recently purchased a PDP-435XDE (3 days after Xmas) due to all the good write ups. Unfortunately did not read about the buzzing on this forum first. My screen starting buzzing two days ago, and is becoming very annoying to say the least. Does anyone have any advice, on how to approach the dealer (high street)
    The buzz alters tone dependant on the picture, I hazard a guess may brightness levels???

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    :lease:

6. gc_bus

gc_bus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my Power Option set to 'SAVE' which stops most buzzing (and I guess protects the screen too) - perfectly watchable. My 435 is considerably quieter than my previous Toshiba 42WP16. I made sure I properly installed the ferrite core near the (tv) end of the mains cable. I can liken the remaining buzzing noise to being much less than the fan noise from my Sky+ box which itself it acceptable.

7. V5-APS

V5-APS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have the 505XDE....I have found that the noise eminates from the exact centre of the screen and is projected forwards.
    It depends on whether you are directly in front of the screen or slightly off axis, as to how loud it seems. So, it may depend on how high/low you mount the panel.
    I have viewed another 505 and it too has the same buzz.
    Picture quality is fantastic though....roll on HDTV !!

8. Angelis

Angelis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in Dixons yesterday where they had a 435XDE on display near the front of the shop. Stuck my ear to the rear and could hear buzzing coming from all four corners.

Is this normal, as I assumed it waould only come from one part of the rear.

9. genoa1893

genoa1893

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

Yes,

is exactly as you say!
    I'm thinking to put mine a little more high on the wall to get rid of the buzz...i hope. :confused:

10. machu

machu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I own a Pio 50MXE1 and there is no buzz whatsover, so if you thinking about Pio plasma and you hate noise then consider the MXE models....Now, if you hate bussing noise and thinking of adding a scaler, I would NOT recommend a Crystalio....

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Buzzing on all brands seems to affect some sets more than it does others. My Hitachi seemed to be a little distracting when we first got it, but now seems less so. Whether it's because it has got quieter, or whether I have learned to ignore it, I'm not totally sure.

12. Hawker

Hawker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Regarding my 435, spoke to the shop that I purchsed the screen from and they were very understanding. They arranged for an engineer to visit, and he said the unit was quite OK, but could hear the buzzing. When I spoke to the shop a few days later, they were still concerned regarding the noise, and arranged for a second visit. This time components changed, but can still hear the buzzing noise. Maybe this is the draw back of having one of the best pictures around.

13. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I heard that Pioneer have a fix for this problem.

14. V5-APS

V5-APS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Any details on the fix please ??

15. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    My mate works for a Pioneer service centre and knows about the buzzing problems I've had. He told me that Pio have a new PSU board because of all the buzzing problems particularily from JL Glasgow!!! Altitude was mentioned too, thus my other post.

16. seaco

seaco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ok I have the same buzzing problem engineer came and changed a large component in the screen he called a "Y" board he said that Pioneer think this could be the problem? well it isn't screen still sounds just as loud as before... :confused:

There's got to be an answer to this :censored: problem?

17. kevin harrison

kevin harrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to these boards and am in the market for the Pioneer, but this buzzing issue, is def putting me off spending 4k on the Pioneer. How widespread is the problem?

18. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    I have a 505XDE and I can't hear any buzzing at all. Occasionally if any picture displays a completely white screen, I then hear a slight buzz, as if it's cranking up a few gears top display the completely white, bright display, but this almost never happens.

My contrast is set to 25 on all inputs, offset by brightness at +5, and this has been calibrated using Digital Video Essentials for the most realistic PQ (not to everyone's taste I'm sure but I like my viewing to look real). Perhaps it is an issue with having the contrast set too high? Perhaps supported by gc_bus assertion that he has Power set to 'Save' which reduces the brightness of the picture.

19. rajvirdee

rajvirdee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have any buzzing issues with my Pio 435 XDE, however if i get really close to the panel (around a foot away), I can hear a faint buzzing.

20. dave0523

dave0523
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Same here with my 434HDE - very quite indeed.

I'm more 'concerned' with the hoise from my media box fan. Will be comparing it to another 434's box next week..

21. seaco

seaco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It seems some people are more tuned into this high pitched buzzing than others as my wife can't really hear it unless she is listening for it where I can hear it all the time?

22. dave0523

dave0523
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello ^ fellow Somerset-Dweller! I'm down in West Buckland, just outside Taunton :hiya:

Once you hear a noise from your plasma, you always hear it - I have "tuned" into the fan noise anyway! I'll just live with it I think....

23. seaco

seaco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Where did you buy your screen Major?

24. moopa

moopa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its good to hear I am not alone. After around a week I started to notice the buzzing on my XDE. I must say that for me at least there does not seem to be any noticeable change in the db of the noise regardless of white pixels currently on screen.

As I said in another recent post, I am more concerned with the picture on mine :)

25. dave0523

dave0523
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got great service (and bought) from Mike and Grace down at Audio-Excellence in Sidwell Street, Exeter. Very happy with the advice and product, would heartily reccomend them.

26. bendo

bendo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had to say something.

Next week (second week of Feb 2006) I go to court. I am taking the supplier of my Hitachi 42PD5200 and Hitachi themselves to court because the noise is so distracting.

Once you have heard it, you cannot get it out of your head.

Basically, before we took this rather drastic action, a Hitachi engineer was called out (twice) to check it out. The second time he arrived with a new transformer to try and make the noise go away. When he took the back off, he said it was not the transformer, and said it would have to go back to the workshop for testing.

However about 2 weeks later I called to see what was happening, and the Head Honcho there stated that they could find no fault... Then why did they take it away? Chap just stated that the YSUS boards all make this noise. Unacceptable.

So we get back to our supplier and ask for a refund because as stated in the Sale of Goods act, the product should be 'fit for purpose' and 'free from minor defects' - and I firmly believe that the noise, which increases in pitch depending on the brightness of the image, fits in the range of a minor defect. After all, I use it as a pure monitor - it only gets an S-Video feed.

We have also requested that the hearing/case start at our home so that all parties can heard the set in situ (the judge did want me to take it in... but at 35 kilos, and without a van and adequate insurance, there was no way on earth we could really get it there).

So watch this space, and I shall let you all know what happens.

Wish me luck.

bendo

27. seaco

seaco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well since writing my first post here things haven't changed and the buzzing is still there my Wife can seem to tune it out but I hear it all the time and it does change in pitch depending on the lightness of the pixels and it does spoil my enjoyment of watching TV and lets face it, it is the reason we bought the bloody thing in the first place!

I don't see why we should have to watch a screen at a low brightness and contrast just to lower the buzzing it should have been sorted out by Pioneer before it ever went on sale?...:suicide:

Anyone know if the 436 suffers the same fault?...:confused:

PS. Good luck Bendo

28. stevebb

stevebb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Ive got the 436 xde and I posted a similar thread to yours a few weeks ago. I too was concerned about the buzzing and it did affect my enjoyment. However, after time the noise has reduced and the most important thing is that I dont listen out for it.

I would give it time m8, or get an xbox 360 as that drowns out all household noises :D

29. seaco

seaco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    How much time should I give it I've had it for 13 months...:eek:

30. bendo

bendo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We've had the set for over a year now, so time hasn't helped. We started proceedings well before our warranty ran out - you know how long these cases tend to take.

Will let you know what happens.

Oh, and I have a old Xbox which works just as well as the 360 - that and moving the fridge into the living room!