Pioneer 435DXE Media Box + 10m cable

Tantalus

Novice Member
Reaction score
Rather odd question: I am about to purchase 435 xde (with sep. Media box + 10 extension cable). Issue here is that I need to run the the 10m cable from media box to Plasma connection cable under the flooring. What I am struggling to solve is how I can neatly route this rather hefty cable via sockets. Because this is unbroken I was hoping I could find (without success) some stainless steel sockets - with a black 'letterbox brushes" centre which to route the cable through. Not sure if that is very clear! Help appreciated! Does anyone make these?

Graphic design is not my forte!
PlasmaRouting.jpg

You just want to make a clean exit for the cable? There are ways of achieving this, I usually use mains flex outlet plates, or the plates that QED give you for banabas, phonos etc. The mains flex one will be best for you, as you can't take the even bulkier plugs off this cable, it's impossible to join the cable or replace the plugs. All that Tag kit, and you're going for the plasma equivalent of a high end midi system? Sure it works, looks lovely, has some strong points, but overall can never match the performance of separates. You'll have better luck routing other sorts of cable too, the sort you can put your own plugs on.

I MAW thanks for the response - some points on it:

MAW said:
...I usually use mains flex outlet plates, or the plates that QED give you for banabas, phonos etc.

What do these outlet plates look like? Issue with QED is that I want stainless steel compact sockets (keep the wife happy) - and I cannot break the cable

MAW said:
All that Tag kit, and you're going for the plasma equivalent of a high end midi system? Sure it works, looks lovely, has some strong points, but overall can never match the performance of separates. .

Not sure I understand this comment. What is a plasma equivalent of a high end midi system? I will use TAG for home cinema (routing the DVD32 output to the media box - either as component or HDMI with Sky+ and DVD recorder) then passing the media cable through the wall to the plasma. Aren't I using separates already?!!

No you are not. The plasma is what I'm referring to, the XDE is an 'integrated plasma TV', box and display, neither can operate independently of each other. The MXE models have no media box, giving the user much better access to the processing, which on consumer models is left off, as the average Currys customer couldn't cope. They need some careful thought, and matching of components. You plan on RGB scart for sky+ and DVD recorder, I presume. This will give you a total of 5 TV tuners in your system, are you married? will she cope? will you cope? Have a look at the 'calling all MXE1 owners thread. This is the monitor panel version of the XDE, with your kit I'm certain it's the way to go. Then you'd be running 1 component cable to link the kit to the screen, much easier and cheaper to do. I can do you QED wall plates in chrome or satin nickel. They don't have brushes, I think I'd use black rubber flaps superglued to the back if I were driven to it, but the small outlet ones will be pretty much filled by the cable.

Hi Maw - are you saying that the XDE does not have the same 'configurabilty' as an MXE even by a dealer who can configure various set-up menus? Is the XDE an inferior display? You are certainly giving me cause to give this some thought. Curious as to how I can link these two abominable SCARTS from the players + TAG kit with 1 component cable - don't I need a switch box?

On the whole debate of XDE - yes I can appreciate that it's aimed at dummies - but it also takes into account wives (read 'power sponsor) who like a nice sleek black gloss display rather than an airport flight monitor - and speakers means she doesn't have to power up the substation to watch Footballer's Wives. The digital tuner is useless - totally - but the silver bar on the box 'matches' the TAG gear - I know it's pitiful - but it's important to her - because we don't have a dedicated listening room. :mad:

So in the end - it's about balance.

Is the XDE "display" really that much worse than the MXE??? :lease:

Is the XDE "display" really that much worse than the MXE???
To Joe punter, no, but to a TAG owner yes. Does your wife buy clothes that don't fit her because they have the right label and look good on the hanger? I doubt it.
A switch box of some sort will be needed, this is usually the AV amp, component video switching is usual on £250 amplifiers. However the route to top notch picture is with a scaler, by Lumagen or DVDO, which will act as a video hub as well as cleaning up the video signal

I have to agree with MAW on this...you really should look into the MXE1 panel over the XDE TV.

I owned a 433HDE for a period of time and the media box is just an unnecessary nuisance for anyone who knows either what they are doing or what they want to achieve…although they are better than they were.

The XDE is a great product for those who simply want to replace their current TV with a plasma version with the minimum of fuss…but ultimately you will be compromising on potential picture quality along with future upgrades.

Think of the MXE1 as the stripped down version of the XDE which has all the best bits of the media box versions along with added flexibility and upgrade ability without the limitations imposed by the media box plus you are not paying for things you don’t require.

If it were me, and it is kind of, I’d be looking at the MXE1 along with one of the new Lumagen HDP scalers and run a DVI lead – or component – from the Lumagen to the panel. You can then hook up RGB sources to the Lumagen via RGBs along with component and even HDMI/DVI sources also.

At the end of the day it won’t cost that much more than the XDE set-up as the 10m link lead is pretty expensive on it’s own.

Cheers, Lee

Well put, Lee. Exactly my points, but I've had a very hard few days, no longer that articulate, unless someone mentions ALIS!

I appreciate your advice. As a retailer you know what you are talking about.

But it's a trade off and I'm not so sure I agree with the analogy. She buys clothes that fit her which have a good label but are not nearly as good quality as something a little more practical. And this is the issue here. Yeah the MXE is going to cost less and I could throw in a scalar - but there are certain niceties about the XDE which makes it more attractive. The MXE frankly, looks vile. As I said, I am half expecting to see BA flight times on it. Just like a black cocktail dress from Primark might be better quality than an Armani one but it doesn't look as good. This screen has to fit in with the lounge - hell, she even wants the little media slot to slideshow pictures of our son. I've sold it to her on this and other features.

Interested to know if any other retailer, Gordon? Joe? - think of the new MXE against XDE?

Oh god - you guys are making me seriously consider things now. I guess the next step is to actually see the comparison...

Connect your laptop too. If you consider the Panasonic PHD7 this can be done wirelessly on wi fi, how cool is that. Stuff the armani dress, it's the body underneath that counts.

Question on this - kind of related - as John Lewis now do a 434FDE for 3295 with a 5 year guarantee. Is it worth taking extended warranty out on a Plasma in general in your experience?

If you are the worrying kind, yes. After market ones are £2-300 or so. Obviously JL consider them reliable, or they would exclude them from the 5 yr warranty deal.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom