1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 435 XDE from John Lewis?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Neil Fellows, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Has anyone managed to purchase a pioneer 435 XDE from John Lewis?

I have a feeling i've read somewhere on here that someone managed to purchase the Pioneer 435XDE (the one with the digital tuner) from John Lewis?

I've searched their website but they only sell the PDP-435FDE. The digital one only comes in 50". I's a real bummer as I want the XDE, but need a 5 year warranty.

P.s. If they do, does anyone know a local shop to John Lewis Solihul to price match to, or does it not have to be local?

2. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    JL told me 4200 special order for 435 XDE.

3. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Yeah but they are doing the FDE for a cracking price - 43", speakers, table top stand, delivered and installed with 5 year warranty and a free Pioneer DVD recorder for £3295. A friend of mine just bought one.

Their XDE price is not so good.

4. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    And?

5. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The price match shop can be anywhere in the UK as long as it's a shop.

6. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    And nothing - £3295 is a good price for the FDE with all those extras and the 5 year warranty. Others might be interested.

7. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jl dont stock 43" xde they also dont like to special order things and you wont get a price match on it

8. daveyravey

daveyravey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got a pdp 435 xde from Currys for £3799 they swapped out my 434 due to a buzzing problem. Should arrive next week.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'd be fascinated to know what they call installation!

10. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    I guess installation fro John Lewis would mean - unpack it, attach the stand, connect the speaker, connect the media box, plonk it on your av rack etc and connect up to the other components in your system and then check that everything was working fine before they leave.

Id rather have the above service than a courier van come round and plonk a large box on my doorstep via some internet only seller. Plus in the case of the FDE there arent any dealers out there who can beat the JL price by a significant margin and thats not taking into account the extra 5 year warranty and the free dvd recorder and the installation service. I mean dont you think £3300 for all of that is a good deal ?

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Specially not me mate, please don't think I'm just pitching for business here, I'm here for the conversation! I'd love to know whether the guys know about RGB and widescreen, let alone running in procedures etc. I don't sell FDE's at all, against my business principles, personal too come to that. I get probably 5 calls a day just from people who've already bought plasmas and need them set up, or have picture problems. Unless they are on my doorstep I'm not able to help them, no time. I like to know where they bought from, frequently it's JL.

12. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Most of the JL guys probably dont know the technical stuff but their minimal set up service is still better than none at all with a plasma just plonked unopened on your doorstep. JL have a significant slice of the plasma market and thats probably fairly represented in the calls to you. A very small percentage of plasma owners have their panels professionally installed, calibrated and set up.

On a side note why is selling the FDE against your principles ?

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Cos they've sawn off all the top features that make Pioneer among the best.

14. magicstar

magicstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

Virgin posting here, but it might just make your day. I've been scanning your forum over the past few weeks, as I've had my sights on one of the new Pioneers - and today, I think I've just found the Holy Grail. This isn't a "National" organisation, so I reckon most of you would never find this one - so here's the deal:-

PDP-435XDE - - -£3499
    Virtual Part exchange allowance (they don't want the goods) - - - £250
    FREE Pioneer DVR 420 DVD/Hard disc recorder
    5 year guarantee

--- seems like almost a Grand better than the norm

Call Fenwick of Newcastle (a large department store about the size of JL) - 0191 2325100 - and speak to a nice guy called Patrick Adair, who blessed me with the good news. The Pioneer rep was in the store today doing demos (he's been up here promoting the range in the store this week) and I think the deal may only be on for a few days - so call Monday, in case you miss out.

Hope this Makes your day - I drink red, full bodied, 13%+, usually Australian, South African or South American - if you feel the need.

The Magic Star

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If you just want the cheapest price, I think it's digital direct currently.

16. magicstar

magicstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The free DVD/HD recorder puts the price about level with Digital Direct - the 5 year guarantee from, probably, the most respected and longstanding department store in the North East of England, does, however, give it one hell of an edge - I'd still give them a call Monday to see if the deal's still on.

Magicstar

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The warranty is worth something, but I'd not give house room to the DVD recorder. And BTW just in case of any doubt in your mind, the retailer tag does not refer to DD, nor do I particularly recomend them or not.

18. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for all the response, people. I looked at the FDE in Curry's at the weekend, both in the store an on the web, and get this - the FDE price differs £800 from the store to the web, but here's the bit that will really make you cringe - have a guess how much the 5 year warranty is.... £1,300 !!!!

Me thinks I will have a word with JL and see what they can do. Incidently, I did'nt see a price anywhere for the XDE at Currys, the website states that it does not sell it, but the store does.... ho hum.

19. sjb

sjb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You want to forget the FDE go with the XDE !

There's not much difference in price.

I think JL are only selling the FDE . :thumbsdow

20. Neil Fellows

Neil Fellows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The main thing the XDE miss's is the SR+ system. As i'm going to get the 868 player, and the VSX-2014i-S amp which all support this, i need the XDE in order to shut everything away in the cabinet and control the lot through the TV. I don't think the FDE has this feature.

21. gaz1

gaz1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John Lewis had made a few mistakes with there web site of late. Saying that you get a free DVD Recorder with both the 43'' and 50'' but you only get it with the 43'' and they quote two different prices for the 43'' on the same page.

I've phoned them and they never have it in stock and dont no when they will get them

22. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    £3295 for the FDE with speakers, stand etc was an error by JL. Anyway my friend ordered the FDE from their website (without the DVD recorder) for £3295 and was called up within two days by JL customer services to arrange a delivery date. The clever sod asked them for the DVD recorder as it was the same deal and they agreed !!! Slam dunk....

23. drdavewatford

drdavewatford
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John Lewis definitely don't sell the XDE, although they confused a whole bunch of people a couple of months ago by mistakenly saying they did.......turned out to be the FDE !