Pioneer 435/436/505/506-SXE/RXE/FDE/XDE - FAQ Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I came across someone else with this problem a while ago, but can't seem to find the thread, so I apologise if this has already been dealt with.

Basically, the problem is this: I have a PDP435xde which I have had for a while now. Trouble is, it now appears that there are a series of lines, like smears on a badly washed window, on the screen. Much of the time these aren't evident, but on dark films/scenes it becomes quite distracting. Also, they appear to be there when the screen is off (when I get up close, or view the screen off-axis). I've tried cleaning the screen (carefully) but to no avail. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

my brother inlaws 505 is not looking its best anybody
no of any settings we could use to get it back to its best
also pioneer engineer came round last week to replace a board sky hd would not work. since then he keeps geting a pink screen anybody no what thats all about

Somebody in Finland is selling 436XDE for 200 euros without the media box. Can the TV be used without the media box and if not, can the media box be bought for reasonable price?

Somebody in Finland is selling 436XDE for 200 euros without the media box. Can the TV be used without the media box and if not, can the media box be bought for reasonable price?
No it cannot be used without the media box (strange sale?!?!?) because there are no connecting input / output terminals on the panel. The only connector is for the media box cable and naturally the mains cable. It will be rather hard to find a media box on its own!

Thanks for the info. Maybe the media box is broken :confused:He/She is selling the TV in a web auction similar to ebay. I was just thinking that this would've been a great TV for the bedroom, but with that kind of prices for the media box, the new Panasonic 42" PX80 would be the same price and of course better.

Last edited:
The media boxes seem to be fairly ok and quite resilient. Sometimes they got stolen when the burglar mistakes them for some high end piece of kit so the owner is just left with a screen. Their insurance company probably doesn't get the TV back and they are left to sell it.

As much as I love my 436XDE I would probably buy a new panny if its the same price. You benefit from warranty, newer technology and knowing that it hasn't been abused etc. :smashin:

I just feel like posting to say that after three years I've not had the tiniest problem with my Pio 436XDE, & specifically no screen burn, image retention or dead pixels whatsoever ... & I watch Sky News & sports coverage with static images for hours at a time.

I know Baldy Bouncer for one will be disappointed to hear this :rolleyes:

I have also yet to see an HD Ready screen with a better image than my baby, and I think that's a pretty impressive boast even if you consider me to be biased.

Then again it did cost over £2k but I just couldn't help myself ...

I have to second that. Whenever a m8 talks about buying an LCD I show them this beauty and their journey from the dark side is complete! Although they then normally buy a Panny PX80 for about a third of what I paid for this!!

I just feel like posting to say that after three years I've not had the tiniest problem with my Pio 436XDE, & specifically no screen burn, image retention or dead pixels whatsoever ... & I watch Sky News & sports coverage with static images for hours at a time.

I know Baldy Bouncer for one will be disappointed to hear this :rolleyes:

I have also yet to see an HD Ready screen with a better image than my baby, and I think that's a pretty impressive boast even if you consider me to be biased.

Then again it did cost over £2k but I just couldn't help myself ...

Mine's still going strong as well, again with a cracking HD image. If only I had another 2.5k lying around to buy the the latest Pio.....

Hi, my 506 XDE just find another owner and it was in prestine condition.
Just switch to LX5090H and the differences are giants.

Hi, my 506 XDE just find another owner and it was in prestine condition. Just switch to LX5090H and the differences are giants.

Interesting, I'll have to check the latest models.

I should clarify the reason for my post - back in 2006 the Panasonic boys (mainly) were lambasting the dodginess of the Pioneer screens just about every day, it really got on my t1ts.

And now time has proven them completely wrong :clap: People still come to my house and say "Wow, nice tele", whether it's switched on or not :)

Hi, my 506 XDE just find another owner and it was in prestine condition.
Just switch to LX5090H and the differences are giants.

just out of curiousity, how much did you get for it ?

and what would you say is the biggest difference to the LX509 ?

just out of curiousity, how much did you get for it ?

and what would you say is the biggest difference to the LX509 ?

Hi, i sell it by 1000 Eur .
The picture is so much better, the blacks levels are amazing. The dvds seems tho have new life. I still waiting for my BR player.
Hope it helps.

Have to agree with the recent posts....I have had my 436 XDE for over 3 yrs now and my only nitpick was a single dead pixel off centre. You can't see it unless you're within a few feet of the screen. Its wall mounted and I just love the gloss black surround.

I had it ISF'd about a year ago to ensure I wasn't missing out on anything and was very pleased. I have recently completed the first stage of my HD journey by recently adding a Sony 550 bluray with Chrimbo hopefully bringing loads of disks. I am using the analogue outputs from the player to my amp.

Here are a few shots of the original install. I hadn't got Sky at this point but you can see its reserved place in the middle :)
Ripstop's Pio...

I didn't get the Sky HDMI issue so the base unit hasn't been upgraded or replaced. Overall picture quality is excellent and some programs are just stunning. However it also shows that there are some very poor SD stuff out there as well. Some supposedly HD programs aren't either shot well or are upscaled SD (shame on them).

My next move when cash permits is to get a larger 50" screen as even the wife thinks that would be nice. The Kuros look fab and are full 1080p but thats alot of cash. The Sony 46" W range looks good but is still a tad too small....choices choices.

Hi all,

My Plasma TV is a Pioneer PDP-436SXE. My intention is to connect a brand new HTPC to my Pioneer PDP-436SXE Plasma TV, whose display resolution is 1024 x 768 pixels (HD Ready), so that I can play BD disks and other HD contents (MKV).

I've just ordered the following components to build the new HTPC rig:

- Case: Antec Fusion Remote Black
- AMD Athlon64 X2 5050E 2.6Ghz 45W
- Scythe Shuriken
- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H
- Memory DDR2 800 Corsair Twin2x2048-6400C4 2GB 2x1GB 4-4-4-12
- HD SATA Samsung HD103UJ 1TB
- PSU Corsair VX450W
- LG GGC-H20L Blu Ray/HD DVD Reader + DVD Writer
- Windows Vista Home Premium + SP1 32bits

The above motherboard has an ATI Radeon HD3200 built in, which is perfectly capable to generate 1080p and 720p resolutions.

Reviewing the PDP-436SXE user manual, it seems that this model may admit the following input signal resolutions:

1920 x 1080i @50Hz
720 x 576p @50Hz
1280 x 720p @50Hz
720(1440) x 576i @50Hz
1920 x 1080i @59,94/60Hz
720 x 480p @59,94/60Hz
1280 x 720p @59,94/60Hz
720(1440) x 480i@59,94/60Hz
1920 x 1080p @24Hz

In principle, the plasma display may accept 720p content if I properly set the ATI HD3200 graphic card resolution to 1280 x 720p @59,94/60Hz. Furthermore, I should not have any problem in playing BluRay discs (1920 x 1080p @24Hz) either.

However, reading further in the user manual, it literally says that "PC Signals are out of correspondence". Why is this, if I can force a resolution and a horizontal refresh frequency in my PC, following the above permitted input signals?

Furthermore, I've found in the FAQs of the official Pioneer web site that "PDP-436SXE (and others) doesn't accept any type of PC Video Signal through the HDMI Input".

I'm very confused. Can I get my PC connected to the PDP-436SXE or not? Based on Pioneer web page, I can't, but it is clear that all Pioneer plasma systems with HDMI inputs can be used with the Sony Playstation3 (info again extracted from Pioneer web site)? Why the PS3 could and not a PC pumping out the same Video signal???

Can you please help??? :lease:

Has anybody connected a PC to a PDP-436SXE through the HDMI port?

If I can't finally get my PC connected to the plama, I would have indeed wasted a lot of money in something I could not use....

Thanks a lot,

Rumble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rumble: When they talk about PC signals they don't mean signals from PC's....they mean PC monitor resolutions.....ie XGA, SXGA, QXGA, WVGA, WXGA......so you can't send 1024 x768 (the native resolution of that plasma) to the HDMI socket...you can only send VIDEO resolutions from your PC....

Thanks, Gordon...

Let me see if I understood: if I configure the GPU to either 1280 x 720p @59,94/60Hz or 1920 x 1080p @24Hz (both supported as per user manual), will the PDP-436SXE have any problem in displaying the Video signal?

A different story is correcting the image distortion because the native resolution of the TV is 1024 x 768, which apparently is not supported at the TV input.

If you were me, would you take the risk in spending nearly €1,000 in building an HTPC to get connected to the PDP-436SXE??

Cheers,

R.

Thanks, Gordon...

Let me see if I understood: if I configure the GPU to either 1280 x 720p @59,94/60Hz or 1920 x 1080p @24Hz (both supported as per user manual), will the PDP-436SXE have any problem in displaying the Video signal?

A different story is correcting the image distortion because the native resolution of the TV is 1024 x 768, which apparently is not supported at the TV input.

If you were me, would you take the risk in spending nearly €1,000 in building an HTPC to get connected to the PDP-436SXE??

Cheers,

R.

I have a 436XDE which has the same panel as yours in terms of resolution. The problem we have is that we have rectangular pixels which means if you output 1024 x 768 people look fat in pictures and video.

After playing around for some time with mine I found the best settings were 1280 x 768@60Hz in mode Full 2 over VGA. This gave me readable text and more or less the correct aspect ratio (which can be tweaked thru media player). I am using a Radeon 9800XT and a Pentium 4 3Ghz and it plays HD stuff fine and it looks good you get less than an inch of black border )top and bottom, presumably to give correct ratio) on it when playing movies. (Use vista media centre with the various packs to play MKV etc)

I found using the HDMI input that it would overscan so you would lose parts of the bottom tool bar and start button. Unfortunately you can't disable that on these boxes. As a result of the overscanning text was also hard to read on anything other than MCE. I gave up trying to use HDMI as the VGA picture was so much better.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks, Chuck, but based on Pioneer web site, there's a difference between PDP-436XDE and PDP-436SXE.

I've extracted the following from the FAQ Pioneer page:

" The ideal resolution and refresh rate is as follows;

43 Inch screens
PDP-433HDE 1024x768, 75Htz
PDP-434HDE 1024x768, 75Htz
PDP-435XDE 1024x768, 75Htz
PDP-435HDE 1024x768, 75Htz
PDP-435FDE does not support a PC video input.
PDP-436XDE 1024x768, 75Htz
PDP-436FDE does not support a PC video input
PDP-436RXE does not support a PC video input.
PDP-436SXE does not support a PC video input."

I still don't understand that my model can't support a PC video input, and others like yours can.

Rumble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Chuck, but based on Pioneer web site, there's a difference between PDP-436XDE and PDP-436SXE.

I've extracted the following from the FAQ Pioneer page:

" The ideal resolution and refresh rate is as follows;

43 Inch screens
PDP-433HDE 1024x768, 75Htz
PDP-434HDE 1024x768, 75Htz
PDP-435XDE 1024x768, 75Htz
PDP-435HDE 1024x768, 75Htz
PDP-435FDE does not support a PC video input.
PDP-436XDE 1024x768, 75Htz
PDP-436FDE does not support a PC video input
PDP-436RXE does not support a PC video input.
PDP-436SXE does not support a PC video input."

I still don't understand that my model can't support a PC video input, and others like yours can.

Rumble.

Oops yes I see a spot oversight on my part. Looking at your manual it appears that you don't have a VGA input hence my recommendation was somewhat limited :confused:

Those recommendations are presumably for the VGA input so hence why yours doesn't support it. It may well be the best resolution for the sets as it gives 1:1 pixel mapping but at the expense of the aspect ratio being completely wrong.

So you are stuck with the HDMI in. 1280∗[email protected]/60Hz would possibly give the best looking image but best to play around with it if you are planning on keeping the TV.

Unfortunately because you can't correct the overscan on the TV you might have to do this in the control panel for the graphics card. Either way you ain't going to get 1:1 pixel mapping and your picture is going have lots of tweaking done to it to get it half decent.

Don't get me wrong I still love this range of TV but it's not the best for PC input.

Hi there,

I bought a Pioneer 436 FDE back in 2006 following the great recommendations on this forum and it's provided excellent service until recently.

Connected to the TV via HDMI (through a switch) I have a Pioneer DVD Recorder, a Playstation 3 and an Apple TV and they've been working fine. Last week I came home and the television would not display pictures from the DVD Recorder or PS3. The Apple TV still works fine.

I've tried connecting the items individually directly to the TV and no joy. The Apple TV and a HDMI-equipped XBOX 360 both display as normal. I've also tried connecting the PS3 via HDMI to another display via HDMI and it works fine too.

My simple troubleshooting would lead me to believe that it's an issue with the screen displaying pictures through 1080i. Would anybody have any ideas what I should do. Is this a common fault with a simple solution?

Thankfully, again thanks to the advice from this forum, I purchased the TV from John Lewis so have a five-year warranty with the set. Unfortunately, the TV and I are now in Germany, and (quite understandably) they won't send an engineer this far out! So, any suggestions as to what's gone wrong and how to fix it without an engineer would be much appreciated.

Hoping of a helpful response!

Rupert

Last edited:
Rupester, is it possible to connect the DVD recorder and PS3 to anther TV to ensure that you choose a lower resolution than 1080i and then try them on the 436 again? We will then know if indeed there is an issue with the 1080i resolution handling on the plasma.

Hi Costas,

Thanks for your quick reply. I've checked the PS3 with another HDMI set and it outputs fine to 1080i to that display.

The display on the Pioneer states 1125i. Is there any way to get it to change to 1080i?

Thanks again,

Rupert

Hi Costas,

Thanks for your quick reply. I've checked the PS3 with another HDMI set and it outputs fine to 1080i to that display.

The display on the Pioneer states 1125i. Is there any way to get it to change to 1080i?

Thanks again,

Rupert

1125i is just the full number of lines on a 1080i signal. Its the same as for Pal where there is actually 625 lines of signal sent but only 576 are physically displayed. The rest is control information and teletext. When your Pioneer detects does SD NTSC it will display 525, PAL it will display 576 lines but state 625, 720P will come up as 750P and 1080i will be 1125i. There is nothing wrong with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom