1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 434HDE vs 433MXE

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Dak, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I have had a read of the threads about the 4th gen pioneer that is due / may be due etc. Joe's info is very useful. I have an MXE on order and am wondering if I should wait and get the latest version?

I use telewest and a denon 3803 which signal processes so the media box may not be needed so it may not be worth waiting for.

Has anyone seen one / can help me ?
    Also, any idea on £? and when it actually hits the UK yet?

Thanks
    Dak

PS I have read the thread called "Pioneer 43inch: MXE or HDG" so anything new on that is really what I am after. I could not tell if Joe was saying the MXE was still the better or not.

2. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dak,

Bit of a tough one.

I thing one point to emphasise is the 434HDE update has really brought the HDE series into line with the current MXE. It now uses a 10 Bit Video Processor which the MXE has always had, also allows for DVI input, again which the MXE has always had. Also it does use the same panel.

However, it does promise improvements.

One is the black level, apparently a new type of filter has been used in conjuction with enhancements to Video processing which will make blacks 'blacker'.

Also the 10 Bit Video processing has been enhanced from the MXE, so again should show improvements.

Another improvment I have been informed of is the DVI input through the Tuner box. The MXE's DVI input has issues with any Video Signal above a 480p resolution, other than that you have to put pc resolutions into it to get things correct (or upgrade board).

Also the DVI input through the Tuner box promises to be HDCP compliant. In order to get HDCP into the MXE you will have to purchase a new input board.

I personally dont like being limited by a Tuner Box. The MXE modualr design is much better suited to me, allowing me flexibility for the future as long as third party companies continue to develop for it.

The issue is no one (as far as I am aware) has seen one in action or definative specifications for one. I dont know what you should do really, perhaps hold fire until they are released, then make your mind up ?. Pricing wise however it will be more than the MXE , just going by Pioneers previous HDE prices should give you a fair indication of where its going to be pitched at.

Sorry for not being able to help much !

Tony

3. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Agree with tbrar... I'm in the same boat waiting for the 434HDE, but I'm swaying more towards the Panasonic TH-42HD6 which will be around the same price as the new HDE...

I have decided not to go for an MXE now because it's being replaced next year (March earliest) at which time it will almost certainly be reduced in price...

Don't forget that the Panasonic 50" HD will be out in October...

Very tempting..!

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,030
    Hello all

A few dates for the diary:

Pioneer UK Trade launch event for the PDP-434HDE - 16/17 September 2003; after that we'll know how it looks, works, costs and how soon we can supply.

Panasonic TH-42PHD6BX - limited stock available from Mid Sept 03.

Panasonic TH-50PHD6BX - available from end Oct 03.

Best regards

Joe