1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 434 vs Philips 42PF9986 Apocalypce

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jdl, May 18, 2004.

1. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :lesson: Hi I am a sound engineer and i live in Athens Greece, yesterday a good friend of mine invited me in the labs of the DVD magazine here in Athens to see the new LCD from Philips the 42pf9986 they were testing the unit in order to write a review for the magazine, i guess it will be one of the first reviews worldwide for this TV.
    He was actually screaming at the phone when he called me "do your self a favor and come to see this beast".
    They had 2 set ups just for the reference, the first one was a Pioneer 434 with a Pioneer 868Avi linked thru HDMI, the second was the Philips 42pf9986 again with a Pioneer 868Avi linked thru RGB Scart, the 2 sets were side by side.
    First you may wonder why someone wants to compare a plasma and a LCD, while this Philips its actually a new era in TVs forget what you know about LCDs you have to see to believe it, anyway back to the review.
    Another point before i proceed is the "unfair" comparison between the HDMI and the Scart RGB connection ( The Philips DOES NOT have components inputs and the DVI-I input its not compatible with the HDMI even if Philips claims that it is, it can accept both analog and digital signals as long as the digital is NOT a HDCP that means you cannot connect it with the DVD players that have HDCP HDMI or DVI outputs but it can accept digital signals from a HTPC or from the DVDO iSCAN).
    The Pioneer was accepted a digital signal 720p (thru HDMI) in order to be closer to its native resolution, first demo "Attack from the clones"......
    REVELATION the Philips was unbelievable, BETTER colors BETTER contrast MORE brightness WAY BETTER detail and above all NO NOISE, in contrast the PIO apeared to have some noise in the backround of the scenes even with digital connection and this gives birth to a really BIG question : How come an analog connection can be more "clean" than the infamus HDMI?
    I really dont know how Philips managed to create an almost perfect TV but they did.
    Dont forget no LCD cons apeared like ghosting, tearing, bad blacks, or color bleed in fast camera panning.
    DO YOUR SELF A FAVOR GO AND SEE THIS TV.

2. mine

mine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    before I went with my 30" 16 :9 LCD TV I saw a lot of fine Plasma setups , mainly with Panasonic TH 5Th or 6 th gen.
    Finally I decided to buy a 30" TFT panel (LG clone)

Here comes why :

I own a progressive 25 p 3-Chip camcorder with Leica lens and anamorphot
    So it was pretty nice to arrange a full digital setup

Camcorder on tripod> Firewire out > Mac with Radeon 9800 pro>DVI out> DVI in TFT (native 1280 x 768)
    I tried my very best to find the best settings of the Display comparing real world with the live image of the lens.

I was very pleased with my decision and the price I payed

1890 Euros

......and both worlds - a nice and big 3rd TFT Monitor - a TV - and a progressive HD Monitor for nonlinear editing.

i would never say that its better than a Pana TH 6 , but with good footage
    and a HDTV Receiver (DVI) you see astonishing images.

Regards from South Germany

Armin

3. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    That's very interesting, no mention of the Philips blacks I hear you cry !!

How much will this beast be, I have seen the 30" and it was good but still had a long way to go to be perfect IMO.