1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 434 vs 435

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by kangaroojack, Oct 3, 2004.

1. kangaroojack

kangaroojack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in Australia and they will be releasing the 5th generation plasma (435) at the end of the year. Looking at some of the past threads there seems to be the opinion that the new model is not as good as the old model. Whats the latest is that still the opinion. What about the plastic screen, any problem with scratching? I suppose there is some advantage to be down under and 6 -12 months behind you guys, we can learn from your mistakes. Price wise did the 5th generation end up being cheaper in the equivilant model? Thanks for your thoughts.

2. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In theory It will run like this: There are 3 versions:
    FDE - Almost definately a downgrade but a lower price too
    HDE - Should be equal quality to last years.
    XDE - Should be equal but with a DVB tuner - This one will be about £4000 not sure on the others prices.

3. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I think the only differnce between the 3 new models is the media box, the screen is the same accross the range

4. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    anyway. to answer your question.
    the difference between the 2 as far as i have noticed is:

only 1 reflection in the screen, instead of 3 or 4.
    The image seems slightly sharper, although I might be making that up as I was going by my memory of th 504, when I was watching the 505

5. mikeham

mikeham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris5, am I right in thinking the new 435/505 have a plastic screen , not glass. Do you think this helps reduce reflections in the screen.

6. Chris5

Chris5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Yes they have, I saw one at the Heathrow HiFi Expo. It was in a darkened room though. I dont think it reduces the insensity of the reflection, but you only get one reflected image, instead of 3 or 4 reflections slightly offset from each other that you get with normal plasmas.

I should point out that I have only seen 1 505xde once, so I could be mistaken when seen in a 'normal' room situation (just covering my whatsit :D )

7. kangaroojack

kangaroojack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that info, I still have visions of the plastic outer screen scrtaching from cleaning etc. any reports so far.

8. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    The Media Receiver for the 435 looks a grey colour whereas the 434's is silver. Definately a WAF issue there!

9. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    434 hde has picture in picture, pc input, and home gallery, high deff,glass screen
    fde version no picture in picture no pc input no home gallery and plastic screen and high deff, the screen gives off less reflection and seems to have an anti scratch coating it still actualy feels like glass though. it also uses less energy thus reducing the risk of screen burn as the pixels dont heat up as much . oh and the picture is fantstic.