Pioneer 434 The best plasma screen ever ? I THINK NOT !!

Davidgilmour

Novice Member
Hi,

in my search to find a great plasma screen 42 inch I have looked at many many plasma screens. I thought that the Pioneer 434 had the best picture, but that was because I was either looking at the Pioneer D-VHS tape on it with the Pioneer promotional tape on it or it was the viewing of Ice Age , Monsters Inc etc on it. Until I saw it today, there is was : 25 plasma screens from Pioneer, LG, Sony, Philips, Toshiba, Samsung, Daewoo, JVC, Panasonic, Hitachi and Fujitsu, all showing Pirates of the Caribbean. The picture on the pioneer was....washed out, looking flat, because next to it was the best PLASMA screen I have ever seen, the Fujitsu P42HHA10 ES ! It was an amazing 9000 euros (!!!) , the Pioneer is 7000 euros here and the Panny 6 is 5500 euros, so it was only 30% more expensive than the Pioneer and it's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY out of reach of my budget, but this is THE BEST PLASMA there is, the detail was soooooooooo sharp, it was amazing ! And it made the Pioneer look like a cheap telly, honest. Why hasn't this screen been reviewed anywhere else ? And why is it soooo expensive ? And why are people raving about the Pioneer when this screen is sooooo much better ? I think I might have to wait until I can buy this screen for 5500 euros, which will be in 10 months time I guess, how much is it in the UK ? I saw it for 3500 pounds on one unreliable site, can anyone direct me where to buy this one ? And have you guys ever seen this one in live action ?
 

hornydragon

Well-known Member
the HHA you saw is good but they do suffer banding the new Fujitsus should be great. but what was feeding 25+ screens with Pirates??? RF? if so your judgement is null and void! as you should only compared the screens on high quality feeds RGB minimum or component/Progscan
 

Davidgilmour

Novice Member
Originally posted by hornydragon
the HHA you saw is good but they do suffer banding the new Fujitsus should be great. but what was feeding 25+ screens with Pirates??? RF? if so your judgement is null and void! as you should only compared the screens on high quality feeds RGB minimum or component/Progscan
Yeah, but the input was equally bad for ALL 25 screens and this was just stood out ! So I wonder how great the quality is with the right setup !!!
 

hornydragon

Well-known Member
Just because a screen looks better than the one next to it with a poor feed dosent mean it will be the same with a good feed,(infact the reverse) Hi res hi contrast screens will amplify visible noise, where with a low noise quality image they will amplify the detail and the depth of the picture hence look alot better, getting a top image on a plasma takes some work! hence why selection of source is as important as selection of the panel.
 

Davidgilmour

Novice Member
Originally posted by hornydragon
Just because a screen looks better than the one next to it with a poor feed dosent mean it will be the same with a good feed,(infact the reverse) Hi res hi contrast screens will amplify visible noise, where with a low noise quality image they will amplify the detail and the depth of the picture hence look alot better, getting a top image on a plasma takes some work! hence why selection of source is as important as selection of the panel.
So you're saying that the Pioneer 434 which is 30% cheaper probably has a better PQ than the Fujitsu ? Have you seen them next to eachother in full action ? And Fujitsu don't just ask 30% more for the screen because they want to, I would say that it's a better screen, but then again, I ain't no specialist, I just trust my eyes ;)
 

hornydragon

Well-known Member
the fujitsu is a better screen but HHA 10 is an old model, Panasoic glass IIRC but the pioneer does look better with a good source still not as good as fujitsu but closer, personally Panny is the one i prefer at that price range and LG for BUDGET stuff.
The ambient light it the room will have more affect on whta your eyes tell your brain you are seeing than the actual screen will! But then I'm just a specialist!
 
T

Timmy B

Guest
The HHA10 is an ALIS screen, the HHA30 is the new e-ALIS screen, the pvha20 is the Panny 5 series with avm and the pvha30 is the 6 (or 7th) series Panny with avm. It's a mixed up world!:smoke:
 

Davidgilmour

Novice Member
What I am so surpised about is that no one ever talks about these screens, is it just because they're so expensive ( 6.300 pounds in Holland ! ) ? I see them for 4.850 pounds in Germany, maybe I should buy them there in a couple of months. Mr Devil, how do you rate this one, the Panny 6, The Pioneer 434 and the LG 42 43 model in absolute terms and in relative ( price / value terms ) , i.e. on a scale 1-10 Panny gets 8 for PQ and 9 for Price / Value ( just an example )

How do you rate these 4 screens , can I have your 8 numbers please :blush:
 

hornydragon

Well-known Member
Originally posted by Davidgilmour
What I am so surpised about is that no one ever talks about these screens, is it just because they're so expensive ( 6.300 pounds in Holland ! ) ? I see them for 4.850 pounds in Germany, maybe I should buy them there in a couple of months. Mr Devil, how do you rate this one, the Panny 6, The Pioneer 434 and the LG 42 43 model in absolute terms and in relative ( price / value terms ) , i.e. on a scale 1-10 Panny gets 8 for PQ and 9 for Price / Value ( just an example )

How do you rate these 4 screens , can I have your 8 numbers please :blush:
I take you refer to me as "Mr Devil"?No
LG 43 6/10 PQ 9/10 Value
Panny 6 8/10 PQ 9/10 Value
Fujitsu 9/10 PQ 8/10 Value
PIO 8/10 PQ 9/10 Value
Based on what i have seen and UK prices (online)
For some info Beovison 5 from B&O 10/10 PQ 7/10 Value
 

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Davidgilmour

Your not using the search function too well :) - try P42-HHS10; plenty of threads on this model from Fujitsu.

It arrived mid 2003 and was going to be the top dog but lots of noise from fans on the display and lots of strange artifacts due to the progressive processing having to then be returned to interlaced to work on the ALIS screen left it looking way too expensive compared to Panasonic and Pioneer.

Twenty Five plasma displays being fed from one source would cost a fortune to do properly and a whole heap of time to get them all adjusted correctly for every source - its also not to difficult to image in that you wire the display you want to sell to output number 1 and the displays you dont have in stock to output no twenty five.

Go see the HHS10 side by side with a current Panasonic or Pioneer display hard wired to a decent source with a good quality YUV or RGB distribution amp in the signal chain.

Best regards

Joe
 

Davidgilmour

Novice Member
@ Joe, thanx for the info, found it !

@ Mr Dragon , I got a nice quote for the Fujitsu Plasma screen WITH tuner , it was 9000 euros at the local store in Amsterdam, I got a quote for 7000 euros from a dutch online store and a quote for 5500 euros (!) inlcuding tuner and rack from a German online store, only 400 miles away from Amsterdam. 5500 euros is 3,800 UK Pounds. I have one more question, the guy who gave me this dutch quote said that he also is selling the Hitachi 5000 series which has the same resolution and the same screen 1024x1024 . He says its the same thing only cheaper.... Have you seen this screen as well and is the guy trying to sell me the hitachi which he has plenty of in stock :) How do you rate this system, how does it compare to the Fujitsu ?

Cheers,
DavidG
 

hornydragon

Well-known Member
I have not compared fujitsu to hitachi, they develope in partner ship fujitsu hi end hitachi lower end go and see for your self! I dont like tuner modules at all but was very impressed with the Pio 504 i saw thi weekend in a home install. let your eyes and wallet decide
 

Davidgilmour

Novice Member
Originally posted by hornydragon
Panny 6 8/10 PQ 9/10 Value
Fujitsu 9/10 PQ 8/10 Value
PIO 8/10 PQ 9/10 Value
You rate the Panny 6 and PIO the same, do you rate the Panny TH-42PWD6 or is there another Panny HD panel ?

I got a quote for this Panny 6 online in Holland ( basic panel only ) for 3800 euros, where the Pioneer is 5600 euros ( inc tv tuner ) and the Fujitsu is 7000 euros inc tv tuner. Some real price differences here !
 

hornydragon

Well-known Member
those ratings are for the price you pay so panny is value at its money Pio value at its money Fujitsu not such good value as it is so expensive. These are probably the best screens at their respective prices. Whether they arte worth spending the money on is up to you, not me, its not my money and it isnt going in my house!
 
W

wrcveen

Guest
Originally posted by Davidgilmour
Until I saw it today, there is was : 25 plasma screens from Pioneer, LG, Sony, Philips, Toshiba, Samsung, Daewoo, JVC, Panasonic, Hitachi and Fujitsu, all showing Pirates of the Caribbean...
In which store in the Netherlands?
 

Davidgilmour

Novice Member
Originally posted by wrcveen
In which store in the Netherlands?
Mediamarkt Amsterdam
 

stricko

Novice Member
I had one of the early Fujitsu's that Joe is talking about, courtesy of Sevenoakes. The picture may have been wonderful, but in a relatively small room the fan noise was incredibly loud. Having just spent a smallish fortune on the audio side of my setup, I was not prepared to have a plasma (however much better the picture may or may not be) that I could hear under normal operating conditions. Sevenoakes replaced it with a Pio 433MXE without any problem.

Make sure you get a good close look and listen to one before you buy. They may have solved the problem on the newer models, but I didn't hear the noise in a shop environment, only when I got it home.
 

Similar threads

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews

Trending threads

Top Bottom