1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pioneer 434 setup?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by mo, Jul 10, 2004.

1. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    hi,
    i just put this plasma together for a friend coupled with a pioneer freeview box,868 and an ax5i.
    i must tell you that the picture is very disappointing and i cannot fiqure it out.
    even the 868 via the hdmi isn't great!
    i must tell you that my friend sits about 4-5 feet away but even then its shouldn't be this bad.
    i just redone another friends panny pw5 with denon 2900
    using the same 'test' disk (star wars-attack of the clones) the panny was alot better in every way.( easy and simple to set up unlike pioneer menu)
    it just should not be this way!
    can anyone offer any help in the setup?

2. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +120
    I have 434 with 868 and freeview..... 868 through HDMI is absolutely excellent and freeview very good. There is no way you can have the disapponting picture you are describing. There must be some error in your way of set up or or a piece of faulty equipment

What are your detailed picture settings on the 43? What is the progressive resolution setting on the 868? You should avoid an 868 setting that the plasma will downscale and cut down in the number of scaling processes.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,938
    Hello Mo

01. As Costa's says its possibly a combination of the multitude of settings in the HDE and your Source devices that are causing you the problems. Start by going back into the Pioneer TV menus and setting everything to 'default' and then switch all the MPEG, CTI, DNR filters to Off or Low.

02. What connectivity and cables are you using with your non HDMI sources?

03. Test Disc - using a few scenes from a Movie as a test is not a great help. If your going to be helping out with set-up for friends and the like you need to invest in a couple of Calibration discs and a whole heap of time understanding how to use them.

04. You'll also need to get familiarised with each TV/Display your going to help with.

Visit the Power Buys section of the Forums and order a couple of discs from Piero Milani - have a play with them on your own system and then go 'set up' your mates systems.

Have a good look through all the menu options on the Pioneer DVD and PlasmaTV - and probably send your mate away for an hour or two whilst you have a 'play' without interruptions.

Best regards

Joe

4. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Also 4 ft away sounds ridiculously close !

5. Prodigal

Prodigal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've my 434HDG 2 days ago, used a Philips 963SA DVD player with 480p poutput, I wasn't satsified with the result, I think that was because I'd been viewing too many 1080i demos lately. :D Then I just rushed out and got myself a 868i the next day.Now I 'm happy with that and the PQ is stunning while using HDMI input, I've no problem while sitting 4 feet away, but I won't recommend it, now I'm sitting ~8 to 10 feets away and I do have the cinema feel from that distance.

Mind you, the PQ on 434 is heavily depending on different DVDs and the settings, fiddle on the settings do make a big difference, so be patient.

Joe,

I've used the DVE NTSC disc to calibrate my 434, but found that the contrast section is supposed design for CRT, not plasma, could you tell me how to set the contrast according to that test pattern?

6. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    thanks all,
    i'll have another look and take into account the you've said.
    i'll come back in the week and give an up date with details