1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pioneer 434 picture settings

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by wiped, Nov 9, 2003.

1. wiped

wiped
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I'm tweaking my picture settings.

I realize that you need different onese for
    cable/digital sat
    DVD
    Gaming (ps2/xbox)

As i've read in some other posts you need to turn down the contrast etc...
    it would be interesting to see your settings in the main adjust picture screen and the "pro adjust".

A question, i feel that the red's are to bright, or pink/orange looking) etc anyone had the same problem and what dod you do to fix it, i've lowered the color settings a bit and also tried to adjust the low/high red (but you have to be carefull , to not get a to "bluish" picture).

i'm also looking for a good settings for soccer or other sports, anyone care to show their settings that work best for soccer?

My current settings (more tweeking needed):

cable/digital

Contrast: 25
    Brightness: +3
    Color: -10
    Tint: 0
    Sharpness: 0
    --
    Purecinema: off
    Color temp: (manual - red high -3, red low -2)
    Mpeg: off
    DNR: off
    CTI: off
    DRE: off

Color management, all default:

DVD:

Contrast: 27
    Brightness: +5
    Color: -2
    Sharpness: 0
    --
    Color temp: (manual - red high -3, red low -1)

Color management, default

XBOX:
    (game setting- modified)

Contrast: 20
    Brightness: +5
    Color: 0
    Sharpness: 1
    --
    Color temp: Mid

Color management, all default:

The DRE - Mid setting seams to be almost the same as the OFF setting, anyone care to explain what you gain by having it on MID?

2. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why did you turn off all these noise reduction/picture enhancement settings ?

I didn't play around a lot. With a very good analog cable broadcast the picture quality is just mind boggling. Never hoped to see that kind of picture quality...

3. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Personally I would leave MPEG, DRE and DNR to Mid and CTI to on. In my screen I see it as helping all kinds of video sources. I have also tried to have (as much as possible) the DVD settings with the THX Optimiser to be the same with all other inputs. As we all know Contrast is the most difficult to set on these screens (even using the 10 IRE step from the AVIA NTSC disc).... My general settings are as follows:

Contrast: +35
    Colour: -3
    Brightness: +3
    Sharpness: +1

Anyone else? Any other advise?

4. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am still trying around but tend to set the contrast to approx. 30 and colour to -12. (Contrast has a strong effect on colour) Brightness at zero or minus but not plus. I also have the energy saving option on which decreases the brightness and should help to prevent any burn-in issues during the first 100 hours...

5. wiped

wiped
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The color settings need to be turned down quite low e.g. -10 or so.

Are you also leaving mpeg dnr etc on for DVD sources or only other sources??

I try to keep these things to minimum for dvd since the source should be "good enough" but ofcourse it can be helpfull for other signals. THe only thing that i feel make a big difference for dvd is DNR at low or mid

I find the red issue a bit hard to solve but turning the color down atleast -10 or -12 seams to better it, The colors are WAY to strong at the default settings, allthough when watching dvd the color does not need to be turned down as much.

The brightness and contrast settings is way different if you use DRE or not, i mean DRE at low requires a higher contrast and brightness and at mid it's almost the same as with off but a bit more brightness so it needs to be turned down a bit.
    The question is, have you seen what you gain with DRE, is the difference noticable, i don't feel so, but that can also be the sources perhaps?
    If you turn it to mid or low and then adjust the contrast and brightness so you get the same levels as with it OFF, have you then gained the separation of black white etc?

I don't use MPEG since it SMEARS the picture to much, do you really feel that keeping it at MID gives a good detailed picture?