Pioneer 434 Picture flicker

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Quinny, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my Pioneer 434 up and running for neraly 2 weeks now and am really enjoying it. The PQ is excellent and as has been said by many here, the quality improves daily.

But, and there's always a but, I have noticed a slight change in the picture brightness occurring from time to time. It is more noticeable on light scenes but the picture can be seen to get slightly darker and then almost as quickly go back to the same level again. This happens on RF, DVD and SKY+. Both the DVD and SKY+ are connected via RGB into Input 3 on the Media box. The change is very quick and can happen at any time, albeit not that often.

Is this a fault or merely a 'characteristic' of the screen (either Pioneer or Plasma in general)? I have adjusted the contrast and brightness down during the running in period but adjusting this during tinkering sessions doesn't have any impact on it.

As I say this is very sporadic and my wife hasn't noticed it, but I would love to find out why this is happening. Can anyone help?

2. LeeT

LeeT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 504HDE but don't have this problem. I suggest that you should move your inputs around and have Sky+ on AV1 via RGB and then your DVD player on AV3 as Component if possible. As this is the best way to connect unless you have a HDMI dvd player.

3. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LeeT

Thanks for the reply. I understand your point of view but I have to have it set up this way as I am passing SKY+ through a DVD recorder. SKY+ is passed though the DVD into AV3. This still allows me to re-configure AV3 to Component when I watch DVD and change back to RGB when SKY+ is used. I am considering using the S-Video output from SKY+ and putting this into AV2 and using AV3 as the DVD input only.

4. LeeT

LeeT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah I understand now. Maybe its a signal degradation issue going through the DVD recorder! Sorry couldn't be any more help.

5. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for trying. Unfortunately it doesn't explain why I can see it on the RF input too. Looks as if I will have to try Pioneer unless anyone else has any ideas. Anyone?

6. Rexus

Rexus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar problem but it went away when I switched off the power saving mode

7. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I appreciate your reply. I'll have a look to see if this is set to on but i'm pretty sure that I have the power saving mode off.

8. ROBERTT

ROBERTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hello,

I have the Pioneer 434HDE. The effect you describe is down to the DRE (Dynamic Range Expander). Look in the manual to see what setting this is on.....Off, High, Mid, Low. Try playing with these settings :)

Not a problem with screen :D

9. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Robertt,

That's two things to chek when I finally get home. I'll keep you posted.

10. Quinny

Quinny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It looks as if Rexus was right. Turning the Power Save mode off appears to have cured the flicker. Thanks for your help.