1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 434 or 504?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by johnnyhonk, Nov 6, 2004.

1. johnnyhonk

johnnyhonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need to make a decision...today if possible (as I am returning an SD Plasma)

42" Pioneer 434 for $7,000 (AU) or
    50" Pioneer 504 for $9,000 (AU)

The problem. The 42" is new in the box, the 50" is the shop demo model. Estimated demo time is 6 Months, at approx 12 hours per day, 7 days a week. I'm told that Pioneer Aust has no more 504's so, this is it if I want it.

If I understand it, the 504's res is 1280x768, which is the exact res of 720p? Is that right?...if so, I'd assume it would be much better at displaying 720p that the 42" model which has 1024x768 res?

So, any words of wisdom to assist me in making my choice?

:lease:

2. johnnyhonk

johnnyhonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...or should I buy the Sharp 37" LCD for $8,000?

Ultimately this will end up in the bedroom and I'll buy something better for the lounge, so an opinion would be appreciated. The 50" Pioneer doesn't look in bad nick, just a few minor scratches (shame, because the glossy black does highlight them).

3. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'd go for the new 434, that 504 has too many hours on it. How much is the new 50" model in Oz?

4. johnnyhonk

johnnyhonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 50" New is $12,999 RRP, but the store lists it for $10,999. They said the cost is $8800, but will knock it down to $9,000 for the display model only, as they can't get any more.

5. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well, I'd push for a good deal on an extended warranty on the 504 (or a free one). Otherwise go for the 434.

6. johnnyhonk

johnnyhonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a standard 5 Year warranty on the Pioneer, starting the day I take it home.

I really want the 50" for a few reasons.

1. Its bigger. :)
    2. I suspect if I don't buy it now, I'll want it later.
    3. It does native 1280x768, which is 720p if I am right

The downside is its a shop model with 6 months life plus a few unwanted scratches, but still has the 5 year warranty.

Of course if I go for the 434, I know its brand new. But its 42" (which is not really a problem), but it only does 1024x728, which seems to me to be a hybrid res, which isn't any of 576, 720 or 1080i. So every single thing I watch on it will be scaled in some way...is that an accurate statement? or am I missing something?

Thanks for the replies, by the way, I do appreciate it.

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    get the 504 you wont regret it (unless you count having to upgrade all your other kit to match......)

8. johnnyhonk

johnnyhonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm lucky...I haven't had an amp/speakers for years...I've been running through the good old tv speaker :)

So anything I buy, is an upgrade I suppose.

My main concern is the life of plasmas etc, and paying $9k for a shop soiled model seems to bother me and being black gloss, the surround tends to highligh scratches.

Is my theory of 720p and the res of the 504 correct? Apart from the normal DVD and HiDef TV watching, the main use of this would be the Xbox. Of course I have the hidef kit, so I assume 720p games would run at the native res of this TV?

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    native ish or as close as you are going get (in the UK we get 1-2 year warranty on these things so getting 5 year from date of install is fantastic) are you in Australia? I do agree... BUT a replacement bezel will be on the pioneer spares list surely....... and a few $$$$$$ I would expect but if it bothers you that much get a replacment one.. I would ask for 14 no hassle return ie get to try it at home for 14 days and return it for a full refund if not totaly happy........

10. johnnyhonk

johnnyhonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, maybe you're right. At least if its on display, I know it works...

Yes, Australia. Although I am English...Hooray! :smashin:

I'm swapping the Hitachi SD I bought 2 weeks ago...so I need to do this soon. I'll prolly just go an get it today.

Thanks guys.

11. kangaroojack

kangaroojack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check the service menu and see how hours its been running, peronally I would not touch a shop demo model even with the five year warranty, a lot of shops show demo DVDs with stationary logos (THX etc..) increasing the chance of burn in and its likely to have a lot of hours clocked up. The contrast and brightness will also be turned up to enhance viewing in the shop. You are in the box seat for a fabulous deals on the old 434 and 504. Check other retailers there are still plenty of new ones left, I bet you could get a new one for the price of a demo, just make sure the retailer knows you know they are about to be replaced with a new model, some retailers still dont know or wont admit there is a new model due out at the end of the month. And yes I am from Australia to.