1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer 434: My experiences so far...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Munkey Boy, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,340
    Well, after reading this fine forum for a while now, I finally decided to take the Plasma plunge and fork out for a Pioneer 434. While investigating which screen to purchase, I did many searches to explore the issues with Plasmas at the present time before deciding which model to plump for. As for many of you, it came down to a choice between the Panasonic PW6 and the Pioneer 434. The Pioneer won mainly due to the inclusion of HDMI, which I hope provides at least some future proofing for the lifetime of the screen.

I just wanted to share my impressions of the performance after four days of use, and put my two-penneth in to long running discussions to help anyone out there thinking of going for this screen:

- bought from Sevenoaks for £4k (without stand or speakers though); best I could find on the High St after John Lewis messed me around saying they were going to have stock and then not fulfilling the promise
    - setup is a cinch and very user friendly; I used picture settings mentioned previously on this forum
    - picture quality from digital cable via RGB Scart is of far higher quality than I was expecting, real sharpness
    - some channels do perform better than others as far as blockiness etc goes, but some (especially BBC) are exceptionally free of such issues
    - football is perfectly watchable, though there is a kind of jerkiness noticeable when theres alot of action, as though the screen can't keep up
    - scrolling banners, such as those used on Sky Sports News also suffer from this lack of smooth action
    - maybe I'm easily pleased but DVD playback, even through my humble Xbox, is frankly amazing; can't wait for my HK DVD2550S to arrive to test out the progressive!
    - gaming is also taken into another level; my old Panny 36" CRT is looking very poor in comparison
    - there have been no residual image issues at all, even after watching channels with logos and permanent screen images; I watch Breakfast on BBC every morning for an hour - logos a-plenty, but no residuals seen yet. Also PGR2 on Xbox is fine.

All in all, very pleased, £4k well spent and I haven't even seen the progressive DVD going yet. If any of you have any comments on these issues, or possible solutions for my small glitches, they are gratefully received.

2. frozendexter

frozendexter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Glad you like Lorenzini.

Nice to here some positive views on what I also think is a fantastic screen. having lived with one since mid november both my wife and I have both found it a joy to watch & wouldn't hesitate to recomend it to anyone. My farther was so impressed having seen the screen that he went out and bought one along with about 10k's worth of home cinema kit.

Picture quality from Sky is about 500% better than expected, and DVD play back even from my standard Arcam DV88 is great! just need to save up for a Pio 868 and i'll be all set.

3. ROBERTT

ROBERTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Lorenzini

Watch out for screen burn, especially in the first 100 hours. You state that there are no residual images after watching for an hour every day. Is this from normal viewing distance? Have a look close up to the screen and check for logo burn. I missed mine at first because i couldnt see it from normal viewing distance.

Better safe than sorry:smashin:

4. funkin

funkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I completely agree with everything you've said. We've had ours about 4 weeks now and absolutely love it. Sky is great, DVD is great, Xbox is great. We also find it highly amusing whenever anyone comes round and the first thing they normally say is "wow, big tv". :laugh:

5. joys_R_us

joys_R_us

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Turn "Pure Cinema" or whatever it is called off. The jerkiness espec. with scrolling banners improves considerably. Also try to put MPEG noise reduction on low. The details get better.

Have fun !

6. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    43 dosent seem very big to me any more :( when i first got mine i thought wow its massive but as time goes by it seems to get smaller

jason

7. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,340
    Thanks for the comeback guys, but still can't get rid of the jerky banner problem. Oh well. Thanks for the heads up on the residuals, am trying to keep static images to the minimum for the first few weeks. Still smilin' :clap:

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    That's why I went for the 50" :D, even though the43" appeared ever so slightly sharper.

Awesome plasma.

9. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    lucky you i couldnt afford a 50 :( i cant even afford my 43 :D

jason